considering a switch from iPhone

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak from personal experience, as I have not owned a 1020 or 1520. But I did Google "1020 camera vs. iPhone 5s camera", and the 5 sites that I picked at random all chose the iPhone 5s. I doubt that this was a coincidence. They seem to be saying that if you have time to set up the 1020 before a shot that it will take a great pic, but for "out of the pocket" experience, the 5s takes the honors

" and no 8mp camera is as good as that of the 925."

See above^

Really?
Go check 1020 pictures theard. It is true that alot of reviews are biased against Lumia 1020, but You can't deny it has the BEST mobile camera, You just can't. And still You can use it full auto just like Your iPhone 5s. Being picky You can point out camera app delay, but You can solve it by using stock camera app or buying Proshot.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That puts me at ease, I was an android user before the iPhone, and I never got an update. There was an acknowledged software bug that they never updated even after promising to do so.

Same for me never got an update for my sony ericsson xperia x8 after 2.1 eclair but that why I think it still the best version of android. :p

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Really?
Go check 1020 pictures theard. It is true that alot of reviews are biased against Lumia 1020, but You can't deny it has the BEST mobile camera, You just can't. And still You can use it full auto just like Your iPhone 5s. Being picky You can point out camera app delay, but You can solve it by using stock camera app or buying Proshot.

In just about every review, iPhone 5s pictures are the best in auto mode, which is what most people will use.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is probably a wash.
Camera quality goes to the iPhone 5s.

interesting comment, as far as battery life i would actually give the 5s the SLIGHT edge, however as far as the camera goes, that would depend on which WP your comparing the 5s to. the 5s does, in my opinion, have a better camera than any lumia at or lower than then the 920, however the 925, 1020 and the 1520 all have far better cameras than the 5s, don't get me wrong, apple did a great job on the 5s camera, its no slouch, but if your truly into photography ( and don't want to carry a dedicated camera ) the 5s is no match for the upper end lumias, and excluding the 808, there are no phones currently that can top the cameras in the upper end lumia phones, I will say this however, if your not the type to manually set the camera settings, and you just point and shoot , the 5s can and will hold its own against the 925 in daylight shots, but the 925 will out perform the 5s in low light settings. OP, you cant go wrong with the 5s, even though i would not own one it is a solid phone with a great camera, however given the criteria you laid out the best camera phone you can buy is on the upper end Lumias

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
interesting comment, as far as battery life i would actually give the 5s the SLIGHT edge, however as far as the camera goes, that would depend on which WP your comparing the 5s to. the 5s does, in my opinion, have a better camera than any lumia at or lower than then the 920, however the 925, 1020 and the 1520 all have far better cameras than the 5s, don't get me wrong, apple did a great job on the 5s camera, its no slouch, but if your truly into photography ( and don't want to carry a dedicated camera ) the 5s is no match for the upper end lumias, and excluding the 808, there are no phones currently that can top the cameras in the upper end lumia phones, I will say this however, if your not the type to manually set the camera settings, and you just point and shoot , the 5s can and will hold its own against the 925 in daylight shots, but the 925 will out perform the 5s in low light settings. OP, you cant go wrong with the 5s, even though i would not own one it is a solid phone with a great camera, however given the criteria you laid out the best camera phone you can buy is on the upper end Lumias

Obviously, if you don't manually set the settings, the 5s will do just as well or exceed the 1020 or 1520, according to reviews.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, if you don't manually set the settings, the 5s will do just as well or exceed the 1020 or 1520, according to reviews.

the OP stated his two top criteria were battery and camera QUALITY, not ease of use, so not sure what your argument is, the 925,1020,1520 have the better overall QUALITY cameras

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
the OP stated his two top criteria were battery and camera QUALITY, not ease of use, so not sure what your argument is, the 925,1020,1520 have the better overall QUALITY cameras

No argument. Just stating that "out of the pocket" experience produces better pics on the 5s, according to reviewers. No big deal.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You're a funny man, and this is a hilarious post.

If one is looking for the "best smartphone camera", why wouldn't one pick the phone with the best camera and adjust the settings to get the best picture out of it? The 1020 has the "best smartphone camera"; if that's what you're looking for, you probably care enough about pictures taken with your smartphone to manually set the settings and take the best picture.

If you want the "fastest camera that takes great pictures", which is what you seem to want to compare the Lumias against, that's a different thing altogether and yeah - the Lumias don't take that title.

But the "best smartphone camera" is the best smartphone camera whether you have to set settings or not. It's... the best.

smorantz

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
don't bother stay with iphone or android. i have windows phone lumia 925 and win phone 8 is just 'window dressing' the 925 is a passable camera, but despite having a 50% faster chip does nothing better than my 2+ year old HTC Desire HD
none of the skydrive features work properly, yes I have win 8.1 pro pC
microsoft tried very hard to make some thing DIFFERENT from the other ecosystems, instead of trying to make something BETTER
so it's different and worse

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
don't bother stay with iphone or android. i have windows phone lumia 925 and win phone 8 is just 'window dressing' the 925 is a passable camera, but despite having a 50% faster chip does nothing better than my 2+ year old HTC Desire HD
none of the skydrive features work properly, yes I have win 8.1 pro pC
microsoft tried very hard to make some thing DIFFERENT from the other ecosystems, instead of trying to make something BETTER
so it's different and worse

Oh plz! You don't explain "passable" and have the nerve to compare WP performance with that of a crappy HD desire. What world do you live in?

"None" of the SkyDrive features work? Sounds like you got a 925 from a bad batch.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
You're a funny man, and this is a hilarious post.

If one is looking for the "best smartphone camera", why wouldn't one pick the phone with the best camera and adjust the settings to get the best picture out of it? The 1020 has the "best smartphone camera"; if that's what you're looking for, you probably care enough about pictures taken with your smartphone to manually set the settings and take the best picture.

If you want the "fastest camera that takes great pictures", which is what you seem to want to compare the Lumias against, that's a different thing altogether and yeah - the Lumias don't take that title.

But the "best smartphone camera" is the best smartphone camera whether you have to set settings or not. It's... the best.

New classification: "Best smartphone camera for 95% of smartphone buyers". Winner is iPhone 5s.

The point is that if you're like the majority of people who want a good point and shoot camera that doesn't require any setup, the iPhone 5s is a superior choice to the Lumia 1020. You're obviously not one of those people who only want to use auto mode so the 1020 is probably a perfect choice for you.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I looked at this phone yesterday, and I am surprised by how much I liked it. My concern is Nokia being out of the phone business. Where will that leave me with updates etc?
I could see why you're concerned, but we all know what pressure MS is facing and to take over Nokias responsibility is something they must and will uphold. I've never been short changed by MS. They've always updated their products.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Because iPhone takes pic faster than Nokia due to the CPU and camera sensor. Everybody loves speed

What Nokia are you comparing? Everyone knows that if its speed you're looking for and you have a 1020/1520 is that you use stock app.

No other phone(iphone/android) has made a phone with a camera that big running on a "dual-core" S4. Until they do, no one should say what you said.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would want to switch away from iphone. I do not own an iphone nor do I support Apple products in any way. I just figured people who bought an iphone bought it for a specific reason since I cannot see why anyone would buy an iphone. I believe that people who did buy an iphone had something in mind when they chose that device. Maybe because its "cool" or "popular" or something.

Why would you want to choose an iphone when thats the device you chose in the beginning?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99