considering a switch from iPhone

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to choose [something other than] an iphone when thats the device you chose in the beginning?

For my part? Pre-iOS 7 got stale and boring. Plus I'm an I.T. guy and I like have some knowledge about multiple smartphone OSs because people ask my recommendation frequently. Finally, Microsoft won me over with Windows 8/RT and I'm no longer using Apple desktops/laptops.

I still have a 16gb iPhone 4S which I've updated to iOS 7 and I no longer think it's stale and boring, but I do prefer WP8 now. Sometimes people grow and branch out and want different things than they originally wanted. *shrug*

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No argument. Just stating that "out of the pocket" experience produces better pics on the 5s, according to reviewers. No big deal.

I think i know where this is going. I won't bother replying to You more, as You keep Your "according to reviewers" part, which You won't even quote here. Everyone can find reviews showing a biased point of view, it's not that hard. Some people would say 5s does better job than most DSLRs on the market just for the sake of it, but should we believe them?
Technically Lumia 1020 is far superior to 5s, and as I said You can't deny that. Even if WB is slightly off on a picture, it still gets more details, allows You to reframe your picture or to zoom it. You still get better low light photography because of OIS and it's a killer feature for video capture.
So to sum things up, You get far more advanced camera in 1020 and I can bet my own 1020 that it's going to produce better auto quality pics than 5s. I won't comment Your random googled reviews as I can find other reviews saying 1020 is better.
Your opinion is a bit flawed as You base it on "someone who I don't even know said it's better, so it has to be" mindset. My 10 years old car is probably better than a Ferrari because I said so?
People give You solid arguments showing 1020s upper hand but You still stubbornly repeat "I saw reviews saying 5s is better".
If you're going to find any comprehensive argument showing 5s is better than 1020, You're welcome back here to be treated seriously.

Have a nice day, sir.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
For my part? Pre-iOS 7 got stale and boring. Plus I'm an I.T. guy and I like have some knowledge about multiple smartphone OSs because people ask my recommendation frequently. Finally, Microsoft won me over with Windows 8/RT and I'm no longer using Apple desktops/laptops.

I still have a 16gb iPhone 4S which I've updated to iOS 7 and I no longer think it's stale and boring, but I do prefer WP8 now. Sometimes people grow and branch out and want different things than they originally wanted. *shrug*

Yeah it makes sense. Basically, what I was getting at is Apple users see something I don't see. Since I could never convince myself to shove out that much money for an Apple product.

I use to use Android and although I am a unbuntu user and like the linux kernal base phones. It was just having too many issues. Android OS was slowing down the device after extended usage. I believe Google fixed that issue with Kit-Kat update.

However, I own too many Microsoft products and the Android phone just didn't fit in the ecosystem. Since I am married now I can't just think for myself and have to think of my wife when I make decisions and WP is easier for her to use than Android. It also allows us to sync between. Surface, PC and xbox.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I switched to WP8 from an iPhone 4 a year ago when I got the Nokia Lumia 810. Never looked back. I upped to a 920 in May and love it even more. There are plenty of apps in spite of people saying the WP Store "has no apps," and even when you can't find certain official ones, there are always great third party apps in place of them. As far as battery life goes, it depends on your phone and luck. I personally have been getting amazing battery life out of my phone, especially over the past two weeks (mostly been charging it every other day, which I haven't done since my feature phone days).

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I think i know where this is going. I won't bother replying to You more, as You keep Your "according to reviewers" part, which You won't even quote here. Everyone can find reviews showing a biased point of view, it's not that hard. Some people would say 5s does better job than most DSLRs on the market just for the sake of it, but should we believe them?
Technically Lumia 1020 is far superior to 5s, and as I said You can't deny that. Even if WB is slightly off on a picture, it still gets more details, allows You to reframe your picture or to zoom it. You still get better low light photography because of OIS and it's a killer feature for video capture.
So to sum things up, You get far more advanced camera in 1020 and I can bet my own 1020 that it's going to produce better auto quality pics than 5s. I won't comment Your random googled reviews as I can find other reviews saying 1020 is better.
Your opinion is a bit flawed as You base it on "someone who I don't even know said it's better, so it has to be" mindset. My 10 years old car is probably better than a Ferrari because I said so?
People give You solid arguments showing 1020s upper hand but You still stubbornly repeat "I saw reviews saying 5s is better".
If you're going to find any comprehensive argument showing 5s is better than 1020, You're welcome back here to be treated seriously.

Have a nice day, sir.

I don't blame you for defending what you have, if that is what you want to do. But I guarantee that you can go to an iPhone forum and find people that have had a 1020 and an iPhone 5s, and swear by the 5s. It's all in the owner's eyes most of the time. I like to read the reviews, because they are normally by people who own neither phone. I'm going to the AT&T store and compare them myself. But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.

Or, like you said, they're not taking the time to optimize the best smartphone camera to take the best smartphone pictures, because that's not what they want.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't blame you for defending what you have, if that is what you want to do. But I guarantee that you can go to an iPhone forum and find people that have had a 1020 and an iPhone 5s, and swear by the 5s. It's all in the owner's eyes most of the time. I like to read the reviews, because they are normally by people who own neither phone. I'm going to the AT&T store and compare them myself. But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.

You still can't grasp my point. And by far I'm not defending my own. You don't have to defend something that defends on its own, because it's plain better and it's proven. Reviewing stuff while having neither of it... really? I mean seriously?... How can You review things you can't even compare, are You being serious?
You can review worst photo taken with 1020 and compare it to a decent 5s thus conclude "5s is better!". I told You I see where this is going.

@Edit:
I wanted to apologize OP for using this theard for such discussion.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
You're right it's going a little off topic, but OP did say one of his main concerns was Camera quality and after reading what pappy53 has said, I'd like to add my thoughts. If you want a true test of camera quality between the 5s and 1020, GSMArena here has a Camera shootout review which just reviews image quality and describes the quality of the images in detail and gives you them to see for yourself. Now that's what I call a fair and technical based review. Result - 1020 wins in both categories of still images (good light and low light). In fact in good light the LG G2 beats the 5s. In their summary includes the sentences "The Nokia Lumia 1020 dominated in still photography and did very well in video recording. Nokia's focus on proprietary camera lens apps also makes sure you'll be getting fun new options with the 1020 camera." and "The Nokia Lumia 1020 will reign supreme in imaging for quite some time to come".

I'm not looking to have a debate here, but I don't like reading something that I know isn't true and can't be backed up with any credible evidence. Anybody is allowed to express their opinions, I don't have a problem with that, but to say, with confidence the 5s is better on image quality, is quite frankly laughable. Sure the 5s is better in other areas than the 1020, I don't doubt that and I'm always up for giving credit where it's due, but with image quality, the 1020 is simply the king.

regi7

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a 920 which I found had a great camera and ok battery life. Now I have a 1520 whose camera is much better and I'm on my second day without charging and am at 40%.

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would want to switch away from iphone. I do not own an iphone nor do I support Apple products in any way. I just figured people who bought an iphone bought it for a specific reason since I cannot see why anyone would buy an iphone. I believe that people who did buy an iphone had something in mind when they chose that device. Maybe because its "cool" or "popular" or something.

Why would you want to choose an iphone when thats the device you chose in the beginning?

When I got my first iPhone, windows phones sucked and android was a massive battery hog and failure in my personal experience. I want to switch because I like windows 8.1 so much that I would like the same OS on my mobile device.

I'm curious why you try to sneak in personal jabs on a tech forum? It's weird.

VNWindowsPhoneUser

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
What Nokia are you comparing? Everyone knows that if its speed you're looking for and you have a 1020/1520 is that you use stock app.

No other phone(iphone/android) has made a phone with a camera that big running on a "dual-core" S4. Until they do, no one should say what you said.
All Nokia devices. My 520 is totally slow.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
For all that are still paying attention, I'm going to order a Lumia 925 from AT&T on Friday.
Great choice, it's an excellent phone. As you are using Windows 8.1, you'll find WP works very well with it, due to both devices syncing from the same Microsoft Account, so make sure you use the same account for both devices. This way, items like SkyDrive data, People (address book), Calendar etc will be in sync with each other. I find it extremely useful to just work on some OneNote notebooks etc and add Calendar info on my Windows 8.1 machine and know that it's available straightaway on the phone if I'm out and about. It's the same the other way round, make changes on the phone and see them on your Windows 8.1 machine, very handy.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, battery life on any windows phone is better than iphone. My previous WP8 handset was the 620 with a 1300mah battery and it easily outlasted the iphone 4s. Now I've got the 625 and the battery life is doubled! I charge it every night, but I could use it for 2 days straight with its 2000mah battery :)

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Great choice, it's an excellent phone. As you are using Windows 8.1, you'll find WP works very well with it, due to both devices syncing from the same Microsoft Account, so make sure you use the same account for both devices. This way, items like SkyDrive data, People (address book), Calendar etc will be in sync with each other. I find it extremely useful to just work on some OneNote notebooks etc and add Calendar info on my Windows 8.1 machine and know that it's available straightaway on the phone if I'm out and about. It's the same the other way round, make changes on the phone and see them on your Windows 8.1 machine, very handy.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, one experience.

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, battery life on any windows phone is better than iphone. My previous WP8 handset was the 620 with a 1300mah battery and it easily outlasted the iphone 4s. Now I've got the 625 and the battery life is doubled! I charge it every night, but I could use it for 2 days straight with its 2000mah battery :)

I've never had battery issues with my iPhone 5, but I was worried about losing battery by changing. I don't think it should be a problem with the Lumia 925. I'm happy if it can get through the day with heavy usage.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Google "1020 camera vs iPhone 5s camera". They are there.
Ok, I did. Here's the results google returned. Now it does say that some were omitted because they were similar, most were "discover.wordpress" So, maybe you can share some of the sites you mentioned. Thanks!
5sVs1020.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster