Just got Windows Lumia 820, completely being new to the Windows World

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am a complete newbie to the world of Windows Phone and also to this forum. So far this forum has helped me a lot in understanding this phone and I hope to receive more help in the nearby future. There are some issues that I am facing with this phone, Please suggest that is it appropriate to post the Questions by opening a separate topic eachtime in the respective section of Windows Lumia 820?

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
or you can search im sue your questions have come up before, you can also ask here im sure other member will point you to the right post.
i had the 820 loved it bu tnow have the 920.
so ask away & welcome

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am a complete newbie to the world of Windows Phone and also to this forum. So far this forum has helped me a lot in understanding this phone and I hope to receive more help in the nearby future. There are some issues that I am facing with this phone, Please suggest that is it appropriate to post the Questions by opening a separate topic eachtime in the respective section of Windows Lumia 820?

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and support :). Yes I am liking Lumia so far as its fast and quick :) There are some stages at which I feel difficulty but I am sure after getting help from here that would lighten my burden :)

Firstly, In my office, we wirelessly connect to the internet by assigning fixed ip addresses to computers/mobiles.

The problem that I am facing is when I enter the password to connect to the network connection on my phone, the Connection is Unsuccessful and I am being prevented from the stage where after connecting to that specific connection, I may enter the ip address manually. Please help

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the warm welcome and support :). Yes I am liking Lumia so far as its fast and quick :) There are some stages at which I feel difficulty but I am sure after getting help from here that would lighten my burden :)

Firstly, In my office, we wirelessly connect to the internet by assigning fixed ip addresses to computers/mobiles.

The problem that I am facing is when I enter the password to connect to the network connection on my phone, the Connection is Unsuccessful and I am being prevented from the stage where after connecting to that specific connection, I may enter the ip address manually. Please help

Cannot be done, WP8 and therefore all Lumias cannot have static IP addresses assigned.This is a feature request for static IP: Windows Phone 8 static IP configuration and VPN support – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Cannot be done, WP8 and therefore all Lumias cannot have static IP addresses assigned.This is a feature request for static IP: Windows Phone 8 static IP configuration and VPN support ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Oh :eek: Thats strange :s This is a very common option and I wonder why Windows didn't think of putting it :/

Anyhow, about my another problem; is there anyway to password protect my installed applications like whatsapp etc? I mean is there any app available using which I may be able to password protect my installed apps such as whatsapp?

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi & Welcome Aboard ⚓ To WP Centrals forums, It's great that you joined with us here and especially the Windows OS . Being a new member I would encourage you to look around and join in and post in the many forums we have and your going to meet and make many new friends that can help and answer most questions you may have.
Good Luck.
Tip, Check out the forum Windows phone 8 "tips & tricks" for newbie's.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/230201-new-windows-phone-8-tips-tricks.html

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh :eek: Thats strange :s This is a very common option and I wonder why Windows didn't think of putting it :/

Anyhow, about my another problem; is there anyway to password protect my installed applications like whatsapp etc? I mean is there any app available using which I may be able to password protect my installed apps such as whatsapp?

Not possible. This can only be done by the developer himself.

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! I really hope you enjoy your 820, especially with those swappable covers and microSD!

Thank you so much :) For now, I am looking for different sort of apps related to Engineering, Mathematics, such ones which may tell me the consumption of my ram at that instant and other phone's customizations etc

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 Rogers ROM has option to manually set IP for WIFI. I flashed my ATT Lumia 920 with a Rogers ROM and got that feature. Other WP8 on Rogers might have that feature.

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 Rogers ROM has option to manually set IP for WIFI. I flashed my ATT Lumia 920 with a Rogers ROM and got that feature. Other WP8 on Rogers might have that feature.

Thats interesting to know, but sadly I don't have any idea as in how to flash my Nokia Lumia 820 to Rogers or any other ROM(incase if there is ) :/

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Another Question:
Is there any way to only limit the person's name to appear as notification upon receiving text rather than the message too? I was able to achieve this thing for whatsapp but am not able to find any solution for the text messages.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to windows phone platform but looking at your questions, I think you may have made a mistake. Android would have suited your purpose since you can not really customize this. Where as android its endless, loads of options at your fingertips, instant notification bar on top with toggles, data capture software readily availble and there are many things to do with it. Wp is kind of closed system. The apps are limited, games are few but its growing on a weekly basis :) .

Edit: no you can not hide message content in toasts. No option to turn off too :( .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

taimur_3

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to windows phone platform but looking at your questions, I think you may have made a mistake. Android would have suited your purpose since you can not really customize this. Where as android its endless, loads of options at your fingertips, instant notification bar on top with toggles, data capture software readily availble and there are many things to do with it. Wp is kind of closed system. The apps are limited, games are few but its growing on a weekly basis :) .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I was an iphone user and an android user(once) too. But this time I thought of trying Windows Phone. I am sure there might be ways but ofcourse am not able to discover on my own. Thanks to this forum and you all users who altogether are helping me out and making me understand this phone well :)

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to password protect my installed applications like whatsapp etc? I mean is there any app available using which I may be able to password protect my installed apps such as whatsapp?

I think I understand what you want, but think it is strange. You should just use a PIN to lock the phone. That will prevent anyone to peek at your things, impersonate you or delete importants informations or apps. Why would you want to protect app by app? A phone is a personal thing, not normally shared like a desktop or even a tablet computer.
If you want to give someone your phone to, say, play a game, just use the "kids corner" feature. It is sort of a guest account. Put the apps or games you want to share in there and you are done.

Set up Kid's Corner | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much :) For now, I am looking for different sort of apps related to Engineering, Mathematics, such ones which may tell me the consumption of my ram at that instant and other phone's customizations etc

You don't need to worry about your RAM Consumption. WP is highly optimised so that each app is tombstoned in background in order to maintain the flow. I am a commerce graduate so i don't know about the engineering apps. Maybe someone else can tell you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)