Hi guys help me pick my first Windows phone :D

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi am Joe. Am from India. I have been using an Android phone until my friend introduced me to a Lumia 520. I loved the interface and found this site and got really interested into this.
Now i have saved enough money to get myself a Lumia 820. But since am new to this i have a few questions.
1. Should i even consider an 820 since its been released around 2012.
2. People say 820 has a weak battery
3. Or should i wait for 825 / 820's succesor?

The problem is always compromising. I got myself a 720 because I wanted a big battery and Gorilla glass2. I don't play games so the 512 Mb doesn't bother me. I love the wireless charging ( got the charging plate and shell free here in South Africa ). I also like the design as it reminded me most of my wonderful N9.
Whatever you choose: enjoy it!

SIMONator24

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Get an Samsung Ativ S, believe me its an awesome phone and really big for the price, here in the netherlands you can get one for 200 euro ( dont know how many dollar, i think 240/250 )

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If you can get the L920 for the same price, and those 32GB of memory can work for you, then take it. I am still considering the L920 today because of the price. MS/Nokia will support their flagships, and the L920 was the device that kicked things off.

But, if expandable memory is a deal killer for you, I say the L820 is a good device and will serve you fine. I know a few people are saying wait to April. I find that sound advice if you are fine with what you have for another 5 months and if we knew for a fact brand spanking new devices were confirmed then. Problem is, we do not. Also, while that gives more time to save, the prices on what you want may be a lot higher then expected.

I say roll the dice. Shop around and buy the best device you can in your price range. Head over to the L820 forums.

Welcome, and hope you let us know what you choose!!

surfer1412

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I was in your shoes a week ago. I was trying to decide between various models and kept comparing the specifications of each model.

520: Cheap but 512MB RAM and no 4G

625: 1.2GHz, 512MB RAM

720: 512 RAM, built in battery and no 4G

820: 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 4G but lousy FFC

920: 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM, 4G but heavy (due to wireless charging built in), built in battery

I ended up with the 820. Got it because battery can be switched and I can change the back cover. It really depends on what are your criteria for a phone. For me, it was processor, RAM and 4G being the most important.

jhelms29

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you have the patience to wait, I'd wait. You'll just regret it if you buy your phone now and it's obsolete in three months. Then again, I myself can never wait. :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey if you want a budget 822 with 16GB memory expandable with an SD card let me know. I have 3 available, I can have the phone shipped or hand carried to India.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd say get 920 if you can. It was a flagship phone and Nokia poured all of them in this phone. The camera is awesome, the display is awesome, so crisp. I think 32GB is enough of memory but if the expandable memory is a deal breaker only choice is 820. But 920 is better in every aspect than 820.
I bought mine one and half month ago. I was in dilemma whether get HTC 8X or 820. But the helpful guys here helped me a lot deciding and I rejected both, spent some more cash and got myself a 920.. Sexy red.. :D And know what?? The extra money was worth the experience. Even if you wait for newer devices for 4-5 months, for this price you're gonna get a mid range device which may lack some features. Say Lumia 1320, priced same as 920 but 920 has better Adreno 225 while 1320 has Adreno 305 (920's GPU is better) again, OIS 920 has it but 1320 doesn't have. 1320 has bigger display but the same resolution. So I think even though 1320 is newer device, and at the same price last year's 920 is still better. And about 920's weight, it's personal preference. I don't find it that much heavy or thick. In fact, I feel more comfortable using my 920 in one hand as opposed to my friend's Galaxy S3 which is thinner and lighter too. Plus if you have good 3G reception then battery would last a day for you. For me I can get 6 hours of screen on time when I switch data off and on Wi-Fi only (this time I'm using Interner Explorer a lot, somewhat gaming and Facebook). So battery backup is awesome unless you play games. But 820 will be worse in battery than 920 any day. But you can pop in another battery in 820 as it has removable back cover. So in the end it's up to you. Expandable storage and removable battery vs OIS camera, HD display and a flagship phone.. Hope I helped and didn't add to confusion. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo