New WP user. Nokia 520

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I may have posted a time or two on these forums, but I am getting my First WP tomorrow and wanted to say hello. may have some questions soon.
I ordered the Nokia 520 for $59 on Microsofts site. For $59, it's really hard to Not try it.
I still have my Note 3, but I am going to try and make the WP my daily driver and see what comes of it.
I already have the WP app installed on my mac, and have an outlook email / onedrive / outlook(from Office 365 subscription for mac)

Anything else I need to get going?
Don't care about the small storage or camera, that part can be fixed with a 1520 later if I fall in love with WP8/8.1
Nokia 520 ok to get a good feel for WP?
:smile:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Your set to go.
The 520 is a good starter and gives you a good impression about WP8x .
Just remember your accounts and logins.
You can give ( when needed ) yourself a headstart to rearrange all your contacts in your MS account.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I imported all my contacts to the outllook email and office outlook both. Hoping that one of those will sync in contacts. Of course I have access to a cellebrite contact transfer machine if needed.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You just need one to alow to sync contacts ( thats the MS account with al your contacts ).
I got five accounts running for mail.
Four are set for mail only, and just one ( my main account ) is set for Contacts, mail and agenda.
You wil see what i mean if you are setting up the mail accounts.
I also dont synch contacts from facebook or other social media.

This way i keep my adresbook clean.
Once a month i cleanout and re-edit my contactlist from my laptop and try to make a complete as possible contactlist ( phonenumber/mailadres/home or work adres ).
When possible i even put in a picture, adding the pictures i do from my phone, somehow i cant do that from my laptop.
When finisht, it al synchs nicely with my phone and Droid tablet.

Oke its a lot of work if you have many contacts, but its worth it and in the long run it saves a lot of time.
Because when or if you get a new phone you only have to log in and everyting sets its self, dont matter if it is a phone or a tablet.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Glad I am not the only one picky about contacts been clean and minimal. I do the same thing. Update, add pictures and addresses etc.
I have heard from others that syncing facebook contacts ends up messing up contacts pretty bad. I was wondering if Linking the contact made that any better.
Unlike most people, I don't have anyone on Facebook that isn't a real life friend or family member so I have like 35 facebook friends total.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Last time i cleaned my wife's contactlist the same way i do mine.
Mennn.
Even found numbers of my old office and friends long gone....
From the aprox 150 numbers there where maybe 25 left

Facebook does mess up a lot with contacts.
Same persons under different names or just a name all that kind of stuff.

I believe you beat me with facebook friends, i got 66 mostly relatives and a handful of real live friends.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
wow, guess after being on easy street using iPhone, I am finding this The most difficult phone to set up that I have ever used...
So I have an outlook.com email address. I imported contacts to that.
I have Office 365, I imported Contacts to that.
Neither of them would put my contacts on the device.

I had to get outlook to "link" to my gmail contacts to get them on the phone.

I have Office 365 with Outlook that has Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Notes/Tasks. I set up that Office 365 account with the microsoft outlook.com email address.
NOTHING at ALL will sync to the Windows Phone. Not a single calendar event, Note, or even Word Doc shows up on the windows phone.
The is no settings on Outlook program to get anything to sync to the phone. What the hell is the purpose of Outlook in the Windows world?
I can't believe people use this crap. NOT THE PHONE, the phone seems pretty darn cool so far other than MS doesn't know how to do anything right.
On iPhone, you simply log in with a Single ID (email) and bam: mail, contacts, calendar, notes, documents, everything is just there. Done.

I am using a Mac, but I also has Office 365 on my windows bootcamp partition and Nothing from Contacts, Calendar, Notes etc etc etc, would sync from Office 365 on one system to Office 365 on another system. Using, Outlook that is....
I have determined that Office Outlook, might be the worst program ever created. Completely useless as far as I can tell.

As far as the phone goes, I am impressed with the little nokia that could. I am going to give the phone more time, I may even reset it and start all over again and see if I am missing something.
I thought All phones would sync with their desktop siblings flawlessly. It appears that is not the case with Microsoft....
I think MicroSoft needs to become samsung and copy about 80% of what apple is doing behind the scenes, and just make it look and feel a little different.
I am pretty high tech and I am finding this set up to feel like a Job. Nothing intuitive about it....hope 8.1 is a miracle OS....

I just want my phone to talk to mail, contacts, calendar, notes etc wirelessly and easily, am I asking too much of microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6