Google killed removable storage. Need a new platform. Is Windows good enough for me ?

sauce_a_poutine

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok guys. I'm proud and happy owner of a fantastic Android phone, but Google just killed unfettered access to removable storage. I'm not here to discuss the validity of their cited motives. Suffice it to say that I like and need my removable storage to be accessible, and open. I want my 3rd party file manager and music player to access it, and also expect my phone to act like a mass-storage device when connected to my PC using a USB cable. So here I am to investigate how MS is doing things, and if my next phone will be running Windows, or Android with crippled functionality.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys. I'm proud and happy owner of a fantastic Android phone, but Google just killed unfettered access to removable storage. I'm not here to discuss the validity of their cited motives. Suffice it to say that I like and need my removable storage to be accessible, and open. I want my 3rd party file manager and music player to access it, and also expect my phone to act like a mass-storage device when connected to my PC using a USB cable. So here I am to investigate how MS is doing things, and if my next phone will be running Windows, or Android with crippled functionality.

im going to take a crack at this. so far we know in 8.1 we can use our SD cards to install apps put music and add pictures. also I think Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
and this one File Manager Free | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) im not sure if that will help or not but maybe somebody else will answer your question better, and welcome :p

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

It still works just like before. Root it

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Traditionally WP has been very tightfisted with SD access because of how its designed, where it was usable for the most part, for storing media and not too much else.
Recently however, MS looks to be loosening its lockdown on the SD. Some well-known developers/apps have been granted more access to the card, Pocket File Manager is one such app.
App installation to the card is supposed to appear, I don't remember if its confirmed, someone please confirm.
We're gaining more freedoms, but still nothing compared to traditional Android. (not familiar with the kitkat changes)
If completely unfettered SD access is that important, you best stay on JB I'd say.

sauce_a_poutine

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Traditionally WP has been very tightfisted with SD access because of how its designed, where it was usable for the most part, for storing media and not too much else.
Recently however, MS looks to be loosening its lockdown on the SD. Some well-known developers/apps have been granted more access to the card, Pocket File Manager is one such app.
App installation to the card is supposed to appear, I don't remember if its confirmed, someone please confirm.
We're gaining more freedoms, but still nothing compared to traditional Android. (not familiar with the kitkat changes)
If completely unfettered SD access is that important, you best stay on JB I'd say.

Your starting to scare me. but, while you answered me, I crafted my next post, so I will post it just the same, but I'm starting to think I may have to test a windows phone prior to taking a plunge...

Well, here goes:

From KitKat, Android 4.4, apps will not have access to files on the SDcrad unless they are owned by the app trying to access it. This means that certain things will no longer work. In my case, I have nothing installed to my SDcard, but, I use a powerful 3rd party manager which allows to create, copy append and delete folders and files. With KitKat, it will only be capable of "reading" the files, rendering it useless. If one loads files from his PC to the phone's card, it's a fair bet the media player won't be able to normalize volumes, or even access it until DEVs find a workaround.

So goodbye Andro?d ? Not sure, but I'm investigating my options.

Using my PC's file manager to swap files is easy and reliable. From my SMB network to phone, or PC to phone or streamer to phone. Not a problem. It's easy, and familiar. I'm a fanatic audiophile with a Cartesian mindset, and I only use WAV files, and albums/compilations are sorted by folders the way I want them to be. My files are all stored and sorted using the following convention: (Artist - Album title) for folders, and (Track #, Song title, Artist, Album) for the music files themselves. Because of the size of these files, though, I have to rotate my albums I have songs and tunes weighing in at over 75Mbytes, and most albums are in the 450Mbytes range, so I can't stuff many of them on a teensy 32GB SD card (But the sound, man the sound... *teary eyed smile* Quality tunes is such a Joy...)

I don't like player software that "catalogs" my music by "type", "playlists" and by "album". That system has never worked well, and probably never will, because it is reliant on the subjective judgement of people, and some are quite stupid. I've seen Metallica classified as Jazz on FreeDB... This does not blend very well with my John Coltrane and Miles Davis, I assure you... All my albums are owned hard copy and extracted using EAC or Foobar2000, so I've seen the wretched state of the FreeDB and CDDB and similar classification DBs, and don't care to put in the effort required to correct all this BS. It is also why I haven't moved to FLAC, I really really don't want to deal with all this tag business.

So to move along with things, here what I need to know:

1 - Can I copy/append/delete files to straight to my phone using my PC's Windows Explorer ?

2 - Is there a decent file manager capable of all the same functions as a PC's Windows explorer ? (Using ES File Explorer)

3 - Is there a decent player with folder view and browsing with super hi-resolution files support ? (I'm using Neutron)

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
WP really isn't very famous for it's file manager capabilities, because there is none. Pocket file manager has the most really, you could download app studio, run the emulator, sign in with account and dowload it to test it yourself, but it doesnt reach 5% of ES file explorers capabilities. It can work within it's own isolated storage (google it, to understand how WP works) and it can show phones folders that contain images.
About music player with folders (short answer: no):
Play specific mp3 folders in WIndows 8 phone - Microsoft Community

The phone natively supports loss-less WMA, it should support WAV probably, if you send me one such file I can test it.

Yes you can copy files to your phone trough explorer on PC, it shows up as a Device (as a Windows phone) and it shows both internal storage and sd card if you have it, and you can copy stuff there as much as you like, but photos will still show in the gallery (in albums named the same as folders), music will show in music app orginized by artist, album (very very objective, you can ignore 'genre'), documents will show up in Office or PDF readers, and all other files won't really show up anywhere, except on a PC when you connect your phone again.

Really, if you're looking for a platform with decent file maniging, WP doesn't stand out here. Everything is arranged in hubs and apps, and the available file managers in Store aren't really all that useful.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about this too. What changed that requires root now?

phone storage sizes changed...

in the past phones came with a pewny 1Gb-4Gb of storage, and this wasn't enough for movies, maps, games, or creating (shooting birthday parties, etc)

today, they come in 16/32/64Gb flavors and it's less problematic to save directly to internal memory.

rooting the device means accesss can be granted to applications to read/write to the sdcard at will, with authenticated permission, or not at all. the user defines which apps do/don't/can/can't.

because of the changes in internal storage sizes, i've personally changed from relying solely on sdcards for storage to -only- using them for backups. i'll image my entire current phone's OS weekly to the sdcard, push duplicates of all my apps, and all of their settings/support files to the sdcard also. the internal memory seems faster than any of my sdcards no matter what class is stamped on them.

sauce_a_poutine

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
@ Jan Tomsic

Thanks, this was the information I was looking for.

@ ohgood

I typically have over 51Gbytes of music stored on my phone. I have Hi-Res WAV files of 300Mbytes per tunes, a few SACDs and DVD-Audio files running from 1 to 3? GBytes on there. 32Gbytes total, including the 12Go of system & backup files just won't cut it for me.

Thank you all. I really didn't expect to get all my answers so quick. You guys are a nice, helpful bunch of people... Cheers.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh I think I left the wrong impression. In not in factor of the stupidity Google is don't right now. Thankfully is still possible to correct their mistakes and assumptions of intended uses with a rom swap.

I'm curious though, are you using the phone just for transport of the wavs? Why not use lossless compression ?

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My other storage peaked at 3.3GB.....
Have tried all the suggestion in this thread, it did free it up slightly but as I had anticipated, its not enough .... its now down to 2.9GB
I have a 920... with 6GB of free space.... Guess I can live with it... The phone still runs smoothly, that's the main thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital