Hello, WP7.5 veteran here, recently upgraded to 8.1

Jamaidian

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Nokia Lumia 1020 recently, and updated it to 8.1...

and Cortana is nowhere to be found. I'm in the US, with all my settings as such, but no luck.

What is happening?

Jamaidian

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Stupid question but did you download both the prep update and then download the 8.1 update or did you just do the first one?

I'm not sure what you mean by prep update, but I'm running 8.1 as far as I can tell. When I check for updates it says it's up to date.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
That would be really really really cool. But no. I spoke with a Microsoft support staff member and they believe I have a foreign device, even though I ordered the phone through AT&T here in the US.
Do you have the following? Make sure those choices are on top too.
Country/Region = United States
Regional Format = English (United States)
Speech = English (United States)
Language = English (United States)

Jamaidian

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Do you have the following? Make sure those choices are on top too.
Country/Region = United States
Regional Format = English (United States)
Speech = English (United States)
Language = English (United States)

Yes to everything. Everything that can be set properly is set properly. The support tech had no idea either. I performed a hard reset and still nothing.

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
yeah you can find quiet hours in settings...you should turn on quiet hours to enable cortana feature!(if cortana doesn't responds after pressing search key)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If you have Cortana to begin with, you will get this...

temubequ.png

And I can turn off quiet hours without affecting Cortana.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
No Quiet Hours and no Cortana? This is sounding like it isn't running 8.1 at all. How did you install 8.1?
Could you go to Settings .. About and type in what the phone information says? Specifically Software and OS version.

alex_froilan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Didn't Microsoft postponed the 8.1 update due to error 80188309? I think OP didn't actually get the update, the 8.1 update takes fairly longer to install than patch updates, so he must've gotten the pre-8.1 update.

Ruican Dan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
If you have the notification center then you do have wp 8.1 . Congrats ! For cortana to work set the settings like the other members said but also delete the other countries if you have them added. US must be the only one for cortana to appear ( I don't know if adding other countries/ keyboard languages after having cortana makes any modification) . So .. for example at the keyboard settings if you have US and UK , delete the UK one . Good luck !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99