The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Ive decided to get rid of my android phone....Ive grown tired of the poor battery life and Ive sen the nokia Here app and it beats google maps by leaps and bounds.

The question....get a windows phone now or is there anything worth waiting for coming in the next month or 2?

I would really like a phone with a screen that's under 5 inches, I feel phones are getting way to big, and would also like top specs...I know thats seems to be asking for a lot in this day and age at least with android...I phone with decent specs that's not that size of a small tablet......
    05-06-2014 08:21 AM
    The only thing coming right now is Windows Phone 8.1 as far as I know.
    All the Windows Phone 8 devices would be able to update to WP8.1 so you have nothing to loose.
    Pick up whatever you find suitable in your budget and get going.

And yeah! Welcome to Windows World. ;)
    05-06-2014 08:27 AM
    Currently, the best decision maker could be your budget and carrier as windows phones are across the board from the bargain-bin Nokia Lumia 520 to the top-of-the-line Samsung ATIV SE.
    In the next couple months or so we will see the launch of the low-end Nokia Lumia 630 (which may already be out, not sure) and the Lumia 930.
    There aren't much rumblings from HTC nor Samsung currently, and other OEMs probably won't ship something for a bit, but I don't know.

Regarding top specs, the top end ones are currently the Nokia Lumia 1520, 930/Icon (930 internationally, not yet launched while the Icon is Verizon exclusive in the US) and the ATIV SE. (No new HTC yet)
    The massive 6" 1520 and smaller 5" 930/Icon are almost identical in terms of specs except for size.
    The ATIV SE is powerful too, has a 5" display, albeit not being marketed as much.

In the midrange you have more leeway. The 4.5" 2012 flagships, the 920 and HTC 8X are still a capable devices as is THE camera toting 1020. Samsung's ATIV S is still solid (4.8") and the lower end models are still decent as well.
    Smallest screen size is 3.7" I believe, on the relatively diminuitive Lumia 620.

I'll stop before continuing, its probably best we know where you're located and what carriers you intend to use.
    Muessig likes this.
    05-06-2014 08:58 AM
    Ive decided to get rid of my android phone....Ive grown tired of the poor battery life and Ive sen the nokia Here app and it beats google maps by leaps and bounds.

The question....get a windows phone now or is there anything worth waiting for coming in the next month or 2?

I would really like a phone with a screen that's under 5 inches, I feel phones are getting way to big, and would also like top specs...I know thats seems to be asking for a lot in this day and age at least with android...I phone with decent specs that's not that size of a small tablet......
    Welcome to WPCentral! You would definitely benefit from getting a new Windows Phone now. All will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1 whether you use the developer program or wait for the official release. If you want something with a screen less than five inches, I would highly recommend the Nokia Lumia 920 or 925. Both are high range phones with premium builds and they each sport a 4.5 inch screen.
    05-06-2014 09:51 AM
    Im in the US and Im on Veizon. My brother has the Icon and its pretty nice albiet kind of large. I'm definitely looking for a top end device like that, IE 1080p screen, snapdragon 800 quad core all that stuff. Problem is no one seems to be making a phone with specs like that with a screen under 5 inches. The Icon does seem at least usable though is have to compare it to the HTC M8, which I also think is on the large side. I have smaller hands and I like to keep my phone in my pocket. Though I do suppose a larger screen could help me with typing on the virtual keyboard, which is one thing I still haven't goten used to even after having the HTC rezound for 2 years now. I just cant type on the thing.
    05-06-2014 09:56 AM
    Fantastic to see you here, loki993. Great to see you're getting the help you need, what do you most use your phone for day to day and what isn't important in a phone for you?
    05-06-2014 10:13 AM
    Im in the US and Im on Veizon. My brother has the Icon and its pretty nice albiet kind of large. I'm definitely looking for a top end device like that, IE 1080p screen, snapdragon 800 quad core all that stuff. Problem is no one seems to be making a phone with specs like that with a screen under 5 inches. The Icon does seem at least usable though is have to compare it to the HTC M8, which I also think is on the large side. I have smaller hands and I like to keep my phone in my pocket. Though I do suppose a larger screen could help me with typing on the virtual keyboard, which is one thing I still haven't goten used to even after having the HTC rezound for 2 years now. I just cant type on the thing.
    920, 925 and 1020 really aren't all that smaller then Icon, 925 is just sligthly shorter then Icon, but they're pretty much the same width. Icon has a 16:9 screen and 925 has 15:9, that must be a reason.
    720 is a perfect size for my hands, but it'd definitely not a flagship. Depends what you want to do with it really, 720 can handle anything except few games, and the battery lasts forever. Or the new 635, it's not a flagship, but it's again nicely sized, and more powerful than 520, 620, 720.

There's rumors of HERE apps coming to android and iOS btw ;)
    If a small, powerful device is what you're after, you could check out xperia Z1 compact (a lovely sized device) or iPhone, which is also small.
    So far the Icon/930, 1520 and Ativ SE are the only snapdragon 800 devices, afaik, and they're all the same size except 1520, which is even bigger.
    05-06-2014 12:03 PM
    Welcome to WPCentral, Loki. As a Verizon customer myself, if you're looking for less than 5 inches in a phone, there's the 928 (but it's only a couple mm smaller than the Icon, overall), and the 822. The great thing about the 822 is that it has the MicroSD slot. I was surprised when I looked at Verizon's site and saw that they are still selling the HTC 8x. That phone came out in the fall of 2012, so it's been around a while, and surprisingly, it's not free on contract. The 822 is not there anymore, but you can get them on eBay in very good condition for $100 or less these days. I've had the 822, 928, and now the Icon, and I've been happy with all of them.
    05-06-2014 01:09 PM
    The 8X is going to be crap with its low memory. The offline maps when it gets Here Drive in 8.1 is going to eat 3 GB's alone.
    05-06-2014 01:28 PM
    I wasn't recommending it - only stating the option.
    05-06-2014 01:34 PM
    The 8X is going to be crap with its low memory. The offline maps when it gets Here Drive in 8.1 is going to eat 3 GB's alone.
    whoops I meant to hit the quote button not the thanks (it's been fixed)

anyways, the space HERE Drive takes is based on how many maps you select. On my phone I only have maps for one state and DC- those take about 260-ish MB only, so it depends on how many you load. Can also be saved to the SD card I believe
    Last edited by xandros9; 05-06-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    05-06-2014 02:23 PM

After todays update Google Maps has gotten quite better. :D BTW
    05-06-2014 03:15 PM
    Fantastic to see you here, loki993. Great to see you're getting the help you need, what do you most use your phone for day to day and what isn't important in a phone for you?
    I want it all like everyone else lol
    I use my phone for texting a lot, maps some internet surfing. I don't play a ton of games but honestly that's mostly because if I did on my current phone Id literally have to be on a charger in a hour or less. Id say the thing I do the least is actually talk on it but I still want good call quality because I do talk on it sometimes. Whats not important? fingerprint scanners, being able to use it as a remote, NFC, gestures, knock on or whatever other gimmick theyre coming up with try and sell phones now a days.

920, 925 and 1020 really aren't all that smaller then Icon, 925 is just sligthly shorter then Icon, but they're pretty much the same width. Icon has a 16:9 screen and 925 has 15:9, that must be a reason.
    720 is a perfect size for my hands, but it'd definitely not a flagship. Depends what you want to do with it really, 720 can handle anything except few games, and the battery lasts forever. Or the new 635, it's not a flagship, but it's again nicely sized, and more powerful than 520, 620, 720.

There's rumors of HERE apps coming to android and iOS btw ;)
    If a small, powerful device is what you're after, you could check out xperia Z1 compact (a lovely sized device) or iPhone, which is also small.
    So far the Icon/930, 1520 and Ativ SE are the only snapdragon 800 devices, afaik, and they're all the same size except 1520, which is even bigger.
    If something just a little bit smaller Ill just get the Icon, like I said its not terrible.....and the nearly edge to edge screen helps a lot. Wish they, and by they I mean anyone, would make a true edge to edge phone with no front buttons...that would be the best of both worlds.....reasonably sized phone and big screen.

Id love the xperia Z1 compact but its not avaliable on Verizon.
    05-07-2014 09:19 AM
    whoops I meant to hit the quote button not the thanks (it's been fixed)

anyways, the space HERE Drive takes is based on how many maps you select. On my phone I only have maps for one state and DC- those take about 260-ish MB only, so it depends on how many you load. Can also be saved to the SD card I believe
    Yea, it can go on the SD card. And yes, it's the US map that's 3 gigs. But an 8x doesn't have SD.
    05-10-2014 03:53 PM
    So yeah I guess an update I bought a Icon and so far its been great. I still dont play a ton of games but the overall user experience is much better. I can make it through a day and don't have to charge....easily so far. I can actually use the phone for longer than 20 minutes and not need a charger. I dont have to turn nearly everything off to try and save the battery.

The keyboard actually seems to kind of know what I'm typing and the autocorrect actually seems to work, I still have to manually correct some things but its much better. The spacebar actually works too, big issue on droid.

I have managed to find all the apps I use on a regular basis so no issues there.

As for the maps and the SD card....I found you dont have to download any maps..so I havent yet

the lack of an SD card.....90 percent of the stuff on my SD card on my driod were the different ROMs to flash to get the phone to work the way I wanted it too and to try and get better battery life and the backups in case I screwed my phone up flashing it. without needing all that, space isnt an issue....
    06-02-2014 09:14 AM
    We're glad to know you're enjoying your Icon. Just come back here if you any issues, 'kay?
    06-03-2014 11:22 PM
    Id love the xperia Z1 compact but its not avaliable on Verizon.
    I'm personally hoping that Sony will make a WP8.1 version of the Z1 Compact. It will likely be my next phone if they do.

They are rumored to be planning to release a WP version of the Z2.
    06-03-2014 11:47 PM