Hello all, looking to make the jump with a really nice camera

Rick Salvato

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all,

So I'm looking to jump ship from iOS to WP. I've done a lot of research on the subject and found that for the most part it should be a relatively easy switch for me. Although I will miss my Citibank app immensely and hope they are planning to make one soon. But I think I can go on without it, my main question is about the phones and specifically the cameras on them.

One of the things that gave me the bug to change are the great cameras available on the Nokia phones. I am a lazy amateur photographer, meaning I take a ton of pictures but I really don't want to mess with camera settings in general. I like to have the camera set to auto and shoot away. With that in mind, which phone should I consider? Originally I was sold on the 1020 with its superior camera but would it be better for me to go with a "lesser" camera like the one on the Icon to get a better and more up to date phone in general? Carrier is not really an issue since I am at the end of my contract.

Any advice or tricks for making the change as painless as possible are also welcomed and thank you all in advance!

Thanks!
Rick

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome, If you are in the US I would say get the Lumia Icon if size is an issue if not get the 1520.3 model as the latter has a micro sd card and larger battery. Never the less both have the same camera module, also the upcoming Lumia 930 is a global version of the Lumia Icon.

In regards to switching have a look here
Switching to Windows Phone from
iPhone or Android | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Also Lumia Cyan which is the windows phone 8.1 update plus Nokia D & S tweaks (technically they are Microsoft tweaks since they bought Nokia's Devices & Services Division) is due to a June 24 or so release.

Wp 8.1 brings a lot of new features including:
  1. A notification centre with quick access toggles
  2. Cortana (currently in beta and US only) she also replaces Bing when you press the dedicated search key.
  3. The ability to install third party file managers (Microsoft are due to release on themselves)
  4. Install apps to an mSD card (best get a Sandisk Extreme pro Class 10)
  5. Custom backgrounds
  6. Swipe down tombstone apps to close in app switching view

Plus a lot more, in regards to app list it is listed alphabetically and after 20+ applications are installed you get an alphabet jump list where you can jump through the list based on the first letter of the alphabet. Furthermore you can search using the the magnify icon at the top - I personally use this by typing the first few letters of the app I want.

To switch apps, hold the back button this will bring up all the tombstoned apps which can be closed by tapping the X at the top right hand corner.

Bing rewards has been announced for windows phone as well:

Bing Rewards for Mobile gets official on Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone Central

If you want to install 8.1 developer preview, the process is very simple and anyone can install it for free:
Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers is now live | Windows Phone Central

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/275061-wp8-1-tips-tricks.html

Edit: Cont'd

However I would suggest waiting until the update is officially released and also would recommend getting a either a 525 or a second hand 920 on cheap (which has a stellar camera) if you can and give WP a go before committing as some have found it doesn't work for them.

Lastly I would recommend you check these threads:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/201935-post-your-home-screen-color-theme.html

Windows Phone 8 Guides and How to's - Windows Phone Central Forums

Recommended Apps:
1) MetroTube (Trial is free + ad free - Donationware)
2) Simple Calendar
3) Skinery Themes for creating custom tiles and shortcuts
4) Amazing weather HD (there are alot of more weather apps in the store)

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Rick, and welcome to WPCentral! :smile: Any of the higher end Lumia phones will satisfy your need for a great camera if you don't want to get the 1020. The 920 and 925 both have excellent cameras, although I think I prefer the 920s a little more because it doesn't have the greenish tint on pictures taken with flash like the 925 (for the record, I have both phones). If you need more internal storage, go for the 920 as it's got 32GB. The 925 is slimmer and a lot lighter but only 16GB. But you certainly can't go wrong with either phone in general!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Details covered above so I will mention a program called MINT. When Wells Fargo did not have a WP app, I used this and still do now. I find it quite easy and very informative.

Rick Salvato

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow thanks guys for the quick replies and especially the tip on MINT, it looks like the perfect replacement for the Citibank app.
I guess my real question is, do you guys feel its still worth purchasing the 1020 this late in its "lifespan" or should I only be considering the 1520 or the Icon at this point? Is the camera really that much better in the 1020 that it would still make it the only choice if taking great pictures is one of your top requirements in a new phone? Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, just want to make sure I end up with the right phone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would say it would depend on the cost of the phone and what you want to pay. It is late but the camera itself will be a great camera no matter how old the phone gets. There is no rumors on a successor for the 1020. No rumors on any phone being made after the MS acquired Nokia hardware.

If I were you I would either get the 1520 or the 930/Icon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow thanks guys for the quick replies and especially the tip on MINT, it looks like the perfect replacement for the Citibank app.
I guess my real question is, do you guys feel its still worth purchasing the 1020 this late in its "lifespan" or should I only be considering the 1520 or the Icon at this point? Is the camera really that much better in the 1020 that it would still make it the only choice if taking great pictures is one of your top requirements in a new phone? Sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, just want to make sure I end up with the right phone.
Absolutely yes. The windows phones do not require the latest quad core chip to run effectively. The Nokia phone the 1020 is paying homage to with its camera is still a very sought after phone several years later. My wife owns it and it runs great. It has some lag with initial image processing but any camera processing a 35 mp raw and them making a much ocersampled 5mp jpg for web Sharing will behave the same. The camera is well worth it. I don't have it because I have a canon 1ds mark II that use for photography and only use the camera to take a quick pic of something so I can remember it or not it down later.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My wife absolutely loves hers
since I bought it for her she no longer uses her canon g series point and shoot which is their highest end non slr camera ( they don't even advertise it under consumer cameras). Well worth it and simple to use. She doesn't like having to mess with settings either and wants the camera to do the work. And it does and takes fantastic pictures.

Rick Salvato

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Well thanks again all, for all the great advice and the warm welcomes. I can get the 1020 now for $100 on a 2 yr contract or $30 a month on AT&T's Next plan. I'm leaning toward the Next plan so I still have the upgrade option in 12 months to keep my options open.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Well thanks again all, for all the great advice and the warm welcomes. I can get the 1020 now for $100 on a 2 yr contract or $30 a month on AT&T's Next plan. I'm leaning toward the Next plan so I still have the upgrade option in 12 months to keep my options open.

Don't forget to search refurbished phones with At&t it might be free so you can buy the camera grip case with extra battery with the money you save.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral!

Myself, I've got the Icon, and it's a great camera. I'm stuck with Verizon due to coverage where I live, or I'd probably have the 1020. Even so, the Icon is not much of a downgrade from the 1020. It has the better screen, both with resolution and with size (I think the 5" size is just perfect - I wouldn't want bigger). I love the phone, and it takes great pictures as well. 20 MP in the phone compared to 15 MP in my Canon 50D. I shoot with the Canon when I need great pictures, but it's nice to have a camera in my pocket all the time, and the Icon is definitely no slouch. Yes, I wish the 1020 were on Verizon, but I have no qualms about the Icon.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720