hello, I'm coming from bb10

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone :)

I think I've found a phone I'll be happy with for a long time... OK... Let me not get ahead of myself look... Thing is I have a problem, I change phones too often, it's kind of my hobby in a sense but a very expensive one... Now I'm beginning to cut down on expenses maybe I'll be able to stick with wp 8.1

OK, so before getting the HTC 8x I had a bb10 device which I also loved, the z10...I kept it up to date and side loaded apps which I needed and weren't available natively, it was set up all fine...

Only complaints I had were:
1. it didn't feel premium nor right in my hand
2. Battery life wasn't the best
3. No equaliser setting (I use aux in my car)
4. Pics always came out blurry for me

Despite these flaws I was happy with bb10 because the alternative which I was a big fan of before android just got to clunky and boring and pissing off lol, I know it can be customised etc, I even used to flash ROMs constantly for maybe just a placebo....in my opinion android is still laggy even with quadcores etc plus I want a phone that just works!

I love Nokia, great phones, had the n9 (wish Nokia didn't ditch me ego or that wp was heavily gesture based but I've moved on now from that lol, realised I was too efficient and multitasking going overload, round in circles opening closing apps reopening them etc)... But I had been put off wp when I had the 820 or something for a few days...back then I wasn't as open minded or maybe wp was still new so it did have bugs plus no apps which infuriated me so got rid asap

Then I had a play with lumias in store, the clearblack displays are awesome! Cameras definitely the best and build quality while not metal which I would prefer was solid....and hotukdeals there was a post on how to get the 1020 dirt cheap... So I plunged but o2 wouldn't sell to me! Oh I already sold my z10 so was desperate for a phone, cheap one so went on eBay chanced upon the 8x and got it (wish I bought the first one I saw it was dirt cheap! Anyway happy with what I paid for it)

So its running wp8.1 latest version and oh its just so simplistic and elegant! I am actually weaned off from looking at my phone every 2 seconds which was a very bad habit and battery drain...I can find what I want when I need,,,except contacts take me a few extra clicks from dialer, but all in all I'm happy with build quality battery life camera, most of all beats audio sounds so good in my car and the offline nokisa maps (miss the camera warnings though!)

Main thing I miss about blackberry...is the hub...what a beautiful efficient way to check emails texts WhatsApp etc...is there any decent email app? I need push notifications, ability to view attachments quickly, and it to download full emails automatically, currently set to download all but its so slow! I use a university email based on outlook and the emails on wp8.1 could do with a massive overhaul! Any recommendations for third party apps?

Oh and WhatsApp on wp sucks, I receive songs but it won't update my music app, notifications on drop down action bar don't disappear even after I've read them from the app directly....Viber I miss calls cause for some reason it needs to be open and not minimised for me to receive calls :s

I may go back to bb10 next year 2015, or I'll get a Nokia, or an android phone with Jolla sailfish...lol, not the most loyal...just saying next year I'm voting with my hard earned cash for a flagship...I love rooting for underdogs so come on bb, come on windows!

Sorry for the long post, I hardly post so put all my thoughts on this post...ah well I enjoyed talking to myself lol

Hope HTC 8x keeps getting updates for a while...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there and welcome!
Quite a dissertation you have given there.

Good to see another excited WP user on here.
Have fun and join the foray my friend!

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me :)

Any suggestions on third party email app for my university email account (when I log in using browser it is outlook based)?

Thanks

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for welcoming me :)

Any suggestions on third party email app for my university email account (when I log in using browser it is outlook based)?

Thanks

Go to settings > emails and accounts> add an account > now select outlook , gmail etc or you can add your custom account from other accounts option....i think this native email app is more reliable than third party apps..😊

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Glad you're enjoying your 8X and Windows Phone 8.1. It is pretty nifty, isn't it? :grin:

Yup the 8x is very nifty, isn't the slimmest on paper specifications but because of the curved back it feels slim and is very comfortable to hold.

Oh and I've already got quite a few comments - not that it matters but still nice! With the blackberry I would get hated on for using a bb lol quite fun defending myself and showing off the bb10 features...as impressed most people were never converted anyone as most ppl are comfortable with ios or android....with android flagships eg. S4 note 3 I would get comments saying how its not much different from the previous version and that the phone is massive or how the battery life sucks lol....with the HTC 8x I get asked what phone is that???? Looks quite nice...and that's it...lol...no hating..

What I'm most pleased about is the screen quality and responsiveness...i mean it feels just so smooth! Definitely prefer the super lcd by htc to samsungs amoled now...although I think nokias clearblack will be better eg. Outdoors and they've got that puremotion thing which if it makes screen more responsive than it already is will be ridiculously amazing!

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh no, did I just jinx myself or someone put nazr on my 8x lol...just had my first random reboot while typing on whatsapp...must be whatsapp lol..hope it doesn't happen again

Oh and wp should allow me to fully customise the drop down quick actions I need a 2g 3g switch!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey kag8 really good to see you here. Really popular request for data connection shortcut in the action centre, hopefully it will be added soon!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral :) I actually read your entire post and enjoyed reading your views of different phones. :smile:
Lets hope everything goes well with WP8.1 and all the apps work well too in the days ahead where by which we see you stick to WP. Enjoy your stay here ! :wink:

kag8

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
so I finally got rid of the 8x...served me well though!

I just cant resist the itch to upgrade lol, been 5 months with 8x which has probably been the longest but nothing really tempted me to switch...although I did initially want the 1020 but the o2 deal didn't go through so went for the 8x, and this weekend another deal for the 1020 came up and I got it (but its actually theyellow version abit sad, missed out on black).

If the o2 purchase didn't go through I would have probably gone for the IUNI U2,been eyeing that for a while too, but I am excited for the 1020...WP has it annoyances but its usually so smooth I forgive it lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb