Music in W.P. 8.1

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

I'm switching to WP in a few months time, and I had a quick question on music in 8.1.

Will I have to use the Xbox Music app or will the normal Music+Videos app from 8 been retained? I have a lot of already purchased music on my PC and I'm not looking to stream music or store it in the cloud or anything fancy. I just want to listen to what I have. I'd prefer not to have to go download a 3rd party app, but I don't want to use Xbox music, so please recommend any apps you think would be alternatives (unless Music+Videos is retained, which would be best for me)

Thanks!

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest with you- as it stands right now the 8.1 Music app is very poor for those with large local collections- still slow and laggy. There is an app that unlocks the old player which works pretty well for just listenting to your own collection. If you are really into music and you have a large collection of music you want to take with you I would say WP 8.1 is not really the best choice for you. Android and Apple offer better choices for playing your local music collection.

The Nokia Music app won't even load all my music- it crashes.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

I'm switching to WP in a few months time, and I had a quick question on music in 8.1.

Will I have to use the Xbox Music app or will the normal Music+Videos app from 8 been retained? I have a lot of already purchased music on my PC and I'm not looking to stream music or store it in the cloud or anything fancy. I just want to listen to what I have. I'd prefer not to have to go download a 3rd party app, but I don't want to use Xbox music, so please recommend any apps you think would be alternatives (unless Music+Videos is retained, which would be best for me)

Thanks!

If your own music and video content is really important to you, as bad as this sounds,choose a different os. I don't see Microsoft changing the stock music and video app to do those who have large collections of each justice.

They are so wrapped up in their own Xbox streaming bs to actually give a dam about us.

There is a 3rd party music app in beta due out soon,but no word on if a video player is in the works or how much it is going to cost yet.

I sent a email into Apples Cs department to see if their iTunes team could lend them a hand,but don't think it will do any good.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The normal Music part of the old Music+Videos hub is still in the OS, there is an app allowing you to access that. "Music Hub tile" or something like that.

As for videos, you'll have to use the OK Videos app, which doesn't have as much problems. (or as much features, but hey.)

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Admittedly, my music collection isn't huge, and isn't DRM protected, which may be why I don't see problems with the standard music app....

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly, my music collection isn't huge, and isn't DRM protected, which may be why I don't see problems with the standard music app....

After the last update things are much better for me. I take back some of what I said. It still lags but it is faster and plays everything well and my album art is fine. I only use my own collection and they are also all DRM free. Contrary to what some are saying I'm beginning to think some still don't have their album art tagged correctly-all my art are actually embedded in the files. Make sure that is how your art is, not just a jpg file in the same folder as the music. Also, Onemusic is a pretty darn good app for local music, as is Listen and I am also beta testing another that is good. Choices for those with local music collections are looking pretty good now. As for video, i have had no issues playing my own video files using the video app though. I am not giving up on WP 8.1 yet for music. I was on the fence a few weeks ago but now that we have Onemusic and the new updated music app I feel a bit better.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey AirSlab, welcome to WPCentral.

As others have said if you really don't want to use the Xbox Music app, the Nokia Mix app will work perfectly fine as a music player.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.

Thanks!
I'm currently using the Xbox music app and it works fine for me. Moving my music from my PC to my Lumia 822 was super easy with the Windows Phone app on Windows 8.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! Like others said, I would suggest to use the old music app until the Xbox music app improves. :)
Sent from my PlayStation 4 using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! Myself, I just use the phone for music now and then, not often, so I'll defer to the others. But I wanted to welcome you to the community!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077