Is this a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I love my iPad but ordered a low-end Windows Phone as I don't want to spend much on something I know I'll drop. Unfortunately the app situation looks grim. Maybe a seasoned user can recommend alternatives?

I run my own Fever server to collect RSS feeds. The only client I found is discontinued. Feedbin and FeedHQ had no search results (is the store even indexing descriptions?)

I need something that can display PDF with embedded bitmap fonts over WebDAV. Hard to search for.

Full-text search over several hundred UTF-8 files in a single Dropbox folder. I searched for "notes"...

A Twitter client that can hide by sender's client or domain linked, as I follow people who also auto-post their blogs.

Thank you!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ahoy, and welcome aboard!

I believe NextGen Reader is a fine RSS reader if that's what you're looking for.

The Bing News app might take RSS feeds, but I'm not sure if I'm just making things up.

As for PDF, you have two main options, I don't know if either works for that since I don't know entirely what that means. Adobe and MS's PDF Reader. I'm assuming you've tried already though...

Hopefully someone who knows more comes along.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
NextGen does Feedly, not Fever or the others I mentioned.

I can't try anything as the phone hasn't arrived yet, but Adobe Reader doesn't support WebDAV.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you!

I could not find filters in Peregrine. Tweet It can filter clients, but you have to type a name instead of tapping something on a tweet. It also doesn't have thumbnails in the timeline, so they're both out.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I've decided to return the phone. I googled for apps, scoured the store, and downloaded about twenty. Nothing came anywhere close to what I'm used to from iOS.

I will recommend Windows to friends who just need to make calls and browse the web. But not the Lumia 630. Without anti-finger fat coating and ambient light sensor it's just too cheap.

So on to the despised Android :(

Goodbye.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that the 630 did not work out well for you.

Perhaps you might find another Windows Phone you like in the future.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is really a shame. Wish we could have helped you out more, but these were very specific app requests. Hope you have more luck in Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720