New to Windows Phone (given the chance)

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

New to here, soon to be new to windows phone when the UK finally gets the 930 released.

How are you all finding 8.1? The whole lot will be new to me, but looks like a decent and slick OS. Plus you can't really fault Nokia phone design (maybe their marketing/production team though :evil:)

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your choice, I hope you'll enjoy WP!

I find the 8.1 amazing, so much new functionalities, simply, I love it. And you bet it is a slick and a quite decent OS, you'll love it ;).

Baryex86

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The 8.1 update is a FANTASTIC update. Cortana is super useful for news, weather, even calculates the time you go and leave work and gives you the estimated time travel. Notification center is great, everything in place is super sexyness. Sleep mode is super great specially for someone who has a lot of meetings, the phone sleeps automatically when the meeting starts (provided it is on your phone calendar) and it will send automatic replies to people that text you saying that you are busy. But you can select specific people that can "break" the sleep mode in case of emergency.

Old phones with 8.1 are way faster and battery last longer. I guarantee you will love your pho,e with an 8.1 upgrade

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
At first let me welcome you here on this platform.
Seconds, NEVER buy ever a windowsphone....................never..........
Its a dull OS, it ( almost ) never crashes, there's no need for tweaking and it always works.
Its sleek, swift and fluent, there enought updates so theres nothing to complain about.....................dullllllll
So as a owner i can tel from experience, if you own such a Phone you got a hell lot more comming to you.
Hours of joy, but it also has a downside................
Al those jealous "friends" who are trying to convert you back to Droid or Ios.............just like jehova's they are keeping trying.
But when you are over that all, then let our brothers and sisters guide you further to the light.
You just walked trought the valley of darknes, wandering and looking but your journey is at a end.
Fore you lies the path of righteousness and the everlasting bliss of Microsoft.
Once your in, you never get out, dont look back, there is no returning.
You'r life as you know it is at the end, you live for the phone you dy for the phone.

Welcome brother.

Btw, my schrink told me i'm making great progress.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the welcome all!

Can't wait to ditch my HTC to be fair, it was pretty nice when I got it but now it's just sooooo sloooowww and everything.

Roll on next week when I will hopefully have a nice shiny Lumia 930 in hand. Bright orange of course :grin:

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I had an HTC in the past and I'm so glad I ditched it for a Lumia, So happy with the support and the dedication of Nokia to WP.

Also, jealous on your new acquirement, especially the orange color ;)

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I had an HTC in the past and I'm so glad I ditched it for a Lumia, So happy with the support and the dedication of Nokia to WP.

Also, jealous on your new acquirement, especially the orange color ;)

Well don't get jealous yet, the dates keep slipping and Vodafone are being evasive lol

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I always tell people to get a device based on what it can do NOW - Today - not based on what it might be able to do at some point in the future.

WP 8.1 will bring some amazing features, but it's not here yet.

That said, I think WP 8 as it stands today is a very good platform with a lot to offer. I'm going to be trying out a Lumia 822 as my primary smartphone for at least 30 days to give it a fair shake.

I hope you enjoy Windows Phone!

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I always tell people to get a device based on what it can do NOW - Today - not based on what it might be able to do at some point in the future.

WP 8.1 will bring some amazing features, but it's not here yet.

That said, I think WP 8 as it stands today is a very good platform with a lot to offer. I'm going to be trying out a Lumia 822 as my primary smartphone for at least 30 days to give it a fair shake.

I hope you enjoy Windows Phone!

While what you say is completely true, the 930 is shipping with 8.1 out of the box, so it should be able to that that now. Although now is then. When it comes out.

But when it's out it'll be now, but right now it's then, not now.

Newfangled what have you done?!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the WPCentral community Sebbak. Great to see a fellow UK user interested in the platform. If you do get the Lumia 930, I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the WPCentral community Sebbak. Great to see a fellow UK user interested in the platform. If you do get the Lumia 930, I hope you enjoy your purchase.

Cheers gedzum, thanks for the welcome. To be honest, I've been intruigued for a while, but locked in a contract and couldn't move. I've always liked the look of the WP OS and it's simplicity, slickness and overall layout.

Looking forward to where WP goes from here too, the whole one OS for multiple platforms really is the way things need to go IMO

Last edited:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Cheers gedzum, thanks for the welcome. To be honest, I've been intruigued for a while, but locked in a contract and couldn't move. I've always lke the look of the WP OS and it's simplicity, slickness and overall layout.

Looking forward to where WP goes from here too, the whole one OS for multiple platforms really is the way things need to go IMO

I understand. I tend to buy SIM free phones nowadays. The look of the OS definitely attracted me too. The simplicity, slickness and functionality for my usage has kept me on it. I hope it has the same effect for you.

I also agree, I'm looking forward to see how Microsoft take on this unified approach.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
While what you say is completely true, the 930 is shipping with 8.1 out of the box, so it should be able to that that now. Although now is then. When it comes out.

But when it's out it'll be now, but right now it's then, not now.

Newfangled what have you done?!

I think I broke the space time continuum...

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I understand. I tend to buy SIM free phones nowadays. The look of the OS definitely attracted me too. The simplicity, slickness and functionality for my usage has kept me on it. I hope it has the same effect for you.

I also agree, I'm looking forward to see how Microsoft take on this unified approach.

As much as I'd like to go SIM free, I can't justify spending nearly ?500 on a phone right now unfortunately!

A friend of mine had the 925 and I had a quick look and play around on it and just really enjoyed the whole look as opposed to Android, which is great if you want to tweak it to the nth degree, but I'm not that fussed by that option. Roll on next week!!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'd like to go SIM free, I can't justify spending nearly ?500 on a phone right now unfortunately!

A friend of mine had the 925 and I had a quick look and play around on it and just really enjoyed the whole look as opposed to Android, which is great if you want to tweak it to the nth degree, but I'm not that fussed by that option. Roll on next week!!

Oh yeah definitely. I picked up the 920 when the price went down a bit (~?300 I think). I actually didn't consider other platforms before picking WP. I was mainly a Nokia user with the N97 mini, which I lost and moved on to the N900. After a while, it just felt a bit sluggish and that is when I saw this fresh OS on a sleek device (Lumia 800). It was just an impulse..I wanted this device. Ever since, I've been hooked and enjoying my experience now with the Lumia 920. Looking forward to the WP8.1 update.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome and I am loving WP8.1 on my Lumia 810 via Dev Preview since TMO decided to drop support for this device :) I am sure you will love WP8.1 on the 930 when you decide to pick it up.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
never. because the new version of windows phone requires at least a dual core cpu. I really recommend that you upgrade to a windows phone 8/8.1 device when you have the chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos