Hello from Virginia, USA

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello to WP central.

I'm from Ashburn Virginia, USA.

I just got my first Windows Phone, a Nokia Lumia 635. My previous smart phone was an HTC T-Mobile G2. The G2 was a high end phone in 2010 when it came out, and I do miss some of the "high end phone" features that I've been enjoying, such as the camera flash and a very solid part metal case.

I decided to go to Windows phone this time for a few reasons. I'm unhappy with Android fragmentation and the support model. If you buy an Android phone, don't expect support, ever. If you're lucky you'll get one OS upgrade in the first year you own it, if your carrier and/or phone manufacturer supports it. That's it. After that, no updgrades, even security patches, ever. Unless you buy a Nexus phone from Google, then you're in better shape.

I am on a budget so I can't afford an expensive phone, that rules out Apple devices. Also - I had grown to love the Google "gadgets" on my phone, and was not willing to give up that kind of functionality. I had experienced the "live tile" concept on my Windows 8.1 desktop and Laptop, and I LOVE the concept. It is incredibly brilliant.

So here I am with a very nicely equipped little budget phone that I bought at the Microsoft Store for $129 yesterday. I spent the extra $50 for the 2 year protection plan and a very nice flip case. So far I'm really loving this phone OS. My disappointments include (1) no Pinochle game (2) no flash for the camera (3) No native YouTube app (MetroTube seems neat but flaky - it only finds one of my subscriptions for example) 4) No Dish Network app (yet). The OS is incredibly slick and the song tagging works with my 2014 Outback so I'm very happy about that.

Hope to learn about how to use this new phone here.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the club from GA, USA!

Hopefully you'll enjoy features like Favorites synchronizing with your Windows 8 PC (if you enable in the options). OneDrive to share your photos to your PC automatically. As well as Universal Apps that you can run on Windows 8 and your phone.

Glad to hear you like the slick interface. Cortana is pretty neat too for helping manage life! Great at reminders and helping find things. Takes a while to learn all the features on the phone.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to world of simplicity and uniqueness and say goodbye to lagDroids!

Lumia 635 is a nice choice, I mean any Windows Phone is a nice choice. Only disadvantage is lack of flash which you have found so far, besides that I believe you will enjoy in every aspect that WP gives you opportunity to.

Apps and games are coming to Store every day so you just gotta wait.

There is no official YouTube app because Google wants to publish ads to every video you would like to look. But there are many great 3rd party apps for YouTube. One of the best is MyTube.

Enjoy!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard ⚓ to WP central forum's, the university of Windows phone. Glad to hear your getting use to your Lumia 635.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and the inclusion of a hardware FM radio was a HUGE little bonus I wasn't expecting! I commute on a motorcycle sometimes and like to listen to morning radio - I've been using a 10 year old MP3 player that has a crappy FM radio built in because my G2 lacked the feature (international version had it - but it was not included in the USA model). I also use my phone for camping trips and sometimes it's nice to be able to get FM for news/weather and music when I'm out in the woods with little or no cell signal. I will appreciate and use this feature that my previous phone lacked.

I assume FM radio will work in Airplane mode.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to world of simplicity and uniqueness and say goodbye to lagDroids!
Oh my goodness the lag on my G2 was horrendous. I would get in my car to commute and it would be literally 5-10 minutes before the phone started playing music through my Outback's stereo. It was horrible. And me being impatient, I would open the music app and hit the PAUSE/PLAY button - each push being time-delayed so the music started - stopped - started - stopped. And no artist/album/etc. tagging got to my car headunit. And sometimes it played from where it left off, sometimes started the song from the beginning - and the random play seemed to create a playlist and re-play those same songs over and over... My goodness I wanted to throw that damn thing out the window so many times.

-deep breath- - yes I'm happy to be out of the Android world. Part of the reason I went Windows Phone is that I absolutely ADORE the Windows 8 ecosystem on my PC and laptop. The livetiles and the whole UI is so fluid and logical and easy.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone, Philip. I also came over from Android. I was hooked very quickly just like you and have never looked back. Have fun poking around, there's a lot to look at. Both on your phone and on these forums :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium