Hi, I'm newish to WP - Considering moving to Windows Phone from Android!

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey! I have posted a bit here for the Dell Venue 8 Pro and the Asus T100, but I think I'm about to get a Windows phone as I switch from Sprint to AT&T. I'm pretty pumped. I couldn't get on the Chromebook nor the Android tablet bandwagon, and I think I'd like to be under 1 ecosystem.

Can I use this post to ask for advice on what phone would be a good, off contract choice coming from the HTC M8?

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
While it is not a bad idea to use only one ecosystem, Microsoft is really supporting all other OS with top applications for their services. One could easily argue that many of their services are even superior on Android (OneNote and Skype at least).
And since you have a current Android flagship phone, I don't think switching could really improve your experience.

If I were you, I would keep the M8 for the next ~6 months to wait what Microsoft brings with WP 9 to the table.

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
What would you guys do for an of contract phone in the interim until new flagship phones are released? Is there a good, inexpensive option?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
A Windows Phone with a Snapdragon 810 could easily be a Q2/2016 device. I wouldn't wait for that.
On the other hand, buying a Snapdragon 800 device in Q2/2015 is no option either. Let's wait for the rumored 1525.

A stop gap device? The 630 or maybe 730. Depends on how much money you want to invest. I would try to avoid buying a 0,5 GB device.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Off contract a Lumia 635 is a good choice. You can get it for $99 in the Microsoft Store or Amazon. Or better yet wait for a bit. Sometimes good deals abound on eBay or even the WPC Marketplace. Good luck and welcome to WP!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
A Windows Phone with a Snapdragon 810 could easily be a Q2/2016 device. I wouldn't wait for that.
On the other hand, buying a Snapdragon 800 device in Q2/2015 is no option either. Let's wait for the rumored 1525.

A stop gap device? The 630 or maybe 730. Depends on how much money you want to invest. I would try to avoid buying a 0,5 GB device.

The Snapdragon 800 is still a very good performer. I would recommend getting the 1520 right now for OP.

Does snapdragon 800 to 801 to 805 make a huge difference? Or is it just a little bit faster?

The 800 and 801 are minor differences, slightly over clocked CPU and GPU but not a huge difference.

The 805 is somewhat of a different story.

If the Snapdragon 805 is mounted onto a 2k display it has small differences from the 801 in performance however if the 805 is mounted on a 1080p display it will have massive performance improvements.

In a nutshell the only difference between 800 and 805 is that 805 was built for 2k and 4k displays in mind, the 800 and 801 weren't though they can run 2k and 4k.

Get the m8 windows phone version. Its just like your old m8 but just with windows phone 8.1 update 1 on it.

Isn't it a Verizon exclusive?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Well, I'd say that you wait for the One M8 for Windows Phone if you really want a high-end Windows Phone right here, right now.

A stopgap would be the 520 or 635. 635 because LTE.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 830 would be announced in a couple of weeks!

I'd get it if I didn't get the 1520 a month ago... The 1520 would be nice as well! If you want removable storage, the 1520 is a good choice..

If you want to stay true to your roots, the HTC One M8 for Windows is a great device.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What would you guys do for an of contract phone in the interim until new flagship phones are released? Is there a good, inexpensive option?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

The Lumia 525 is inexpensive and good but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

The 630 is a good one as well.

mstrblueskys

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
While it is not a bad idea to use only one ecosystem, Microsoft is really supporting all other OS with top applications for their services. One could easily argue that many of their services are even superior on Android (OneNote and Skype at least).
And since you have a current Android flagship phone, I don't think switching could really improve your experience.

If I were you, I would keep the M8 for the next ~6 months to wait what Microsoft brings with WP 9 to the table.

Oh, I also can't keep the M8 - it's locked on Sprint.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If you can handle the huge size, the 1520.3 (the version that works with LTE on AT&T but isn't ruined by AT&T; their version stripped out wireless charging) is the nicest WP. I'd like to have one myself. It's just a hair slower than the HTC W8 but has a camera button and a PureView camera. And the screen size is nice to look at once you're okay with how much pocket space it takes. The 1020 has a better camera for zooming but a worse screen (coming from an RGB 1080p screen, you'd probably find the PenTIle 768p screen ghastly), and it's smaller.

Nokia should have more phones out this year though, there's the 830 for sure and I hope we get a 1030, but that's not announced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)