50+ posts later I introduce myself :P

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
So I wanted my first post to introduce myself buuuuut I just went straight to Ask a Question instead, I have manners! Huzza!

Any who, my name is Nick (that's all you'll get for now :p) I live in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada. My life story is too boring so I'll spare it. I currently own a Lumia 920 and with Windows Phone 8.1.1 on it.

Currently I am jobless YES! HURRAY! /sarcasm I am supposed to in theory go to La Cite Collegiale (math exam required to enter so still waiting for the results) for Business Administration. Basically I want to open up my own store one day, to be clear but not giving out to much info. It's a computer and small consumer electronic repair and resale store, as in I fix smartphones, tablets, game consoles, desktops, notebooks etc.... Of course I would love to sell some unlocked Windows Phones as well (of course some Android phones too, because well I need to make money some how right?)

I also forgot to mention that I got a Professional Diploma (Trade School) in Computer Maintenance and have a CompTIA A+ Certificate.

If only there was something like a kickstarter, for startups lol.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! We're glad you're here!

You're not the only one on the jobless bandwagon - I just got 60 days notice that I'm going to be laid off. But hey - that's an opportunity for something better!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
So I wanted my first post to introduce myself buuuuut I just went straight to Ask a Question instead, I have manners! Huzza!

Any who, my name is Nick (that's all you'll get for now :p) I live in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada. My life story is too boring so I'll spare it. I currently own a Lumia 920 and with Windows Phone 8.1.1 on it.

Currently I am jobless YES! HURRAY! /sarcasm I am supposed to in theory go to La Cite Collegiale (math exam required to enter so still waiting for the results) for Business Administration. Basically I want to open up my own store one day, to be clear but not giving out to much info. It's a computer and small consumer electronic repair and resale store, as in I fix smartphones, tablets, game consoles, desktops, notebooks etc.... Of course I would love to sell some unlocked Windows Phones as well (of course some Android phones too, because well I need to make money some how right?)

I also forgot to mention that I got a Professional Diploma (Trade School) in Computer Maintenance and have a CompTIA A+ Certificate.

If only there was something like a kickstarter, for startups lol.

You seem like a really awesome guy and I hope that your dream becomes a reality.

A few tips though, always keep yourself updated with technology so while you fix products you can also indulge your customers in interesting facts about their PCs and phones.

Oh and since you are free nowadays, learn C# to develop apps. Channel 9 has some very amazing guides for Windows Phone app development.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to get that better opportunity since all of my life I've been a cashier for gas station, an infantry for the Armed Forces, and a news paper delivery boy sooooooo ya looking for something new but no one calls me :(

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to mention that I've learned C# but not XAML in college. Also learned the dreaded JAVA god damn I hate that language.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well it depends, since Java has a lot of security flaws to it. However it is useful since it is a cross-platform programming language that works with any OS (well normally) and also on the web.

C# is at the same level of simplicity to learn as Java however it doesn't have any major security flaws nor is it cross compatible outside of Microsoft (I mean they're a few C# programs that work on Linux but it's a hit or miss thing) C# is great to learn if you want to design say a video game or a large application since it's pretty much C++ without the complexity of learning it. I personally prefer C# just because of it's security.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
C# is actually becoming a cross-platform language thanks to frameworks like Xamarin. You can now write an app in C#, and with mostly UI differences get it running on Windows 8, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android. It isn't free, though, and it is far from cheap.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I suppose but as you said, it's extremely expensive so it's not a viable solution if you want to cross-platform your program for now. Anyone can write C# for free with Visual Studio Express or Java as well with Eclipse (or other IDE)

I always think of C# and C++ as a Windows language and the rest for well... The rest lol.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly why I haven't tried Xamarin - the price. And while I've got experience in both IT and development, I'm now working on my BS in Computer Science, and just finished my second term of Java. I echo your sentiments - I hate that language.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Ya I don't understand why my college wants me to learn Java. I'm sure they understand how bad of a programming language it is. I mean ya sure it's simple to program but so is C#....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ya I don't understand why my college wants me to learn Java. I'm sure they understand how bad of a programming language it is. I mean ya sure it's simple to program but so is C#....
Because it's free and runs on any platform.

I'm in school at University of the People, a school that is tuition-free and you buy no books. It is global, and many of my classmates are in very poor areas of the world, and some of them have only a phone or tablet to work with, and they are able to take Java because there is some site that allows them to do it remotely in the browser.

I had to take Java at the community college I got my AAS from, but there I also took VB.NET (C# had just come out, so wasn't popular yet), and C++.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I suppose but as you said, it's extremely expensive so it's not a viable solution if you want to cross-platform your program for now. Anyone can write C# for free with Visual Studio Express or Java as well with Eclipse (or other IDE)

I always think of C# and C++ as a Windows language and the rest for well... The rest lol.
Are you still a student? I happened to be checking the Xamarin website because of another conversation, and found this:
How do I share code across platforms with Xamarin? and other FAQs - Xamarin

With academic pricing you can get a business license (which is a year subscription, but you can continue using the software without updates after that), for $99. Far better pricing than I expected to see.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Are you still a student? I happened to be checking the Xamarin website because of another conversation, and found this:
How do I share code across platforms with Xamarin? and other FAQs - Xamarin

With academic pricing you can get a business license (which is a year subscription, but you can continue using the software without updates after that), for $99. Far better pricing than I expected to see.

No sadly I'm not a student right now (probably will back in Winter) lack funds to pay for my semester. (The whole jobless thing lol)

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Welcome welcome :) Great to have you aboard this community. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Oh and I don't think I introduced myself until I was past my hundred post :winktongue: So it's all good..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss