What brought me to Windows Phone?

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
For me I was in highschool my junior year my other siblings and my parents had phones but sadly not me so my mom felt sorry and we went to the AT&T store I was looking around I was looking at the iPhone but we were on a budget and it was mainstream and I don't like Apple and I looked at Androids to many to select then a rep came by and helped me I told her you have something different? She then took me to a small display on the right corner she said how about a Windows Phone she sounded like she didn't want to offer me it the phone was a Samsung Focus so I said sure ever since then I have been a Windows Phone user since.
Apologies for long boring story.
Currently Nokia Lumia 925 user
So how about you? I like being different and well those tiles!

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral!

For me, I was amused with the N9 before but I couldn't afford it back then.. Then I saw the Lumia 800 which I absolutely liked but again, I couldn't afford it back then (I was a broke college student) then when I got work, I saw the 920 and wanted THAT. Too bad it wasn't available in my country and I opted for the iPhone 5 just for the mere fact that the phone doesn't depreciate as much as a Galaxy (it was a tough choice between an iPhone and a Galaxy Note 2 for me back then).. Also, the sound output of the Note 2 was horrible so I went with the standard iPhone outputs.. Then I sold it and bought the 920 after 10 months. I even got some spare cash when from the iPhone! I couldn't believe how godly iPhones are treated. Great device though! Also, the 920 came with a two year warranty. The phone recently broke and it's on repair right now. Now I'm rocking a Lumia 1520 and I absolutely LOVE it. Best phone ever.

What I initially liked about WP7 was Zune and the Live tiles. Hope you're enjoying your Windows Phone!!

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't specifically aiming for Windows Phone before. My main goal was to get a smartphone from Nokia (I've been a Nokia user from the start) because of its amazing reliability and durability. While scouting for possible phones, I found its WP7 flagship, the Lumia 900. Seeing Nokia and Windows in a phone really made me want it so bad. I bought it pretty late, as during that time WP8 phones are already present. I couldn't afford the 920 so I went for the 900. More than a year later, I'm now using a 1520, another Nokia flagship, but on WP8.

I know Windows Phone doesn't have much apps and isn't too customizable like Android and iOS, but I feel very comfortable using it. Choosing WP is a good decision and I think I'll stay here as long as MS makes them. I might try Android or iOS for exploration purposes but WP will always be my main phone.

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I had, at least, two Zunes and I heard about this phone that was going to have the Zune software on them. I thought, "This is like an iPod being on an iPhone. Only, it's a Zune being on a Zune phone!" LOL. I liked the idea of being able to have a Zune mp3 player combined into a phone device, because I like my Zunes. Still do. It wasn't the look of Windows Phones that really got me, but as time went on, how they looked surpassed the fact that Zune software was on them. That's what brought me to WPs.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i had loads of nokias right from when i was 7 years old :p (yep i was given a phone for emergencies-Nokia 2100)
after years of nokias(cant list all :p ) and the symbian era my last nokia was a nokia E63 (still works like a charm,lovely device!!)
then i went blackberry(8520,9300,9700,9780,9790) then i got androids in between(note 1,note 2,nexus 4,nexus 5,nexus 7,motos) and a few idevices
i finally got my 1st 720 and an 820 later on,my 720 screen broke and i bought another one this time in red(still my main phone) and sold my broken 720 for a nexus 5(big mistake,hate android thought nexus would change that)
soon i started eyeing a Z10 which i got for $150
finally present day- i own all the phones i listed though most are broken etc and rock a 720(sometimes 820) and my z10 on a day to day basis,nexus 5 only comes out when i need usb otg with my dslr
BB10 and WP are the best OS's ive used so far followed by ios and sometimes android

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The first phone I bought was an HTC Explorer, it was a low end device that I kept for around eight months. I later got Sony's flagship device in 2012, called the Sony Xperia S.

Sadly my Xperia device broke within the first few months and I had to move back to the HTC Explorer. I used the Explorer for another few months(flashed Custom ROMs on it and stuff).

When I finally got tired of the cramped screen of the HTC, me and my cousin both went to try out a new OS and brought back two Lumia 520s.

I must admit that Windows Phone is a very good operating system, and the 520 was a very solid device.

However both my cousin and me moved back to Android soon afterwards(Note 3 and Nexus 5). But our experience with Windows Phone was spectacular.

My uncle bought my 520 from me and is still using it(he loves it).

bradleymcc6

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
What brought me to Windows phone was when I was looking for a new phone, (not specifically windows phone) and I was leaning towards Android but after playing around with the Lumia 930 in the shop the OS really grew on me and I decided I might as well give something new a try. I also loved the quality and feel over the 930 especially when compared to the s5 that I was considering. I am also fairly new to the platform lol:)

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WP Central forums, Always nice to have new members join in, ask questions and post in the thread's.
Good Luck :smile:

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Funny, I was a junior in high school when I got my first Windows Phone too! The Lumia 710. :smile:

I was tired of waiting an entire minute for a message to send on my horrible MetroPCS feature phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! There's nothing boring about your story - each of us has our own. For me, I was at a Visual Studio 2010 launch event (with a Windows Mobile phone in my pocket), and saw a prototype of what was at that time called "Windows Phone 7 Series". I fell in love. WP7 was launched in a couple countries (I think it was Australia and UK, but don't remember for sure) on October 21 that year (my birthday). It came to the US a few weeks later, but not on Verizon, which is my carrier. The Verizon Trophy was supposed to come out by December (leaked fliers given to MS employees showed this), but that date kept slipping. In March, when the Sprint Arrive came out, I gave up waiting on Verizon. I picked up an Arrive, but soon returned it due to poor coverage by Sprint where I live. A week later I tried the Samsung Focus on ATT, but again, returned it due to poor coverage by ATT where I live. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Verizon. Then on May 26, 2011, the Verizon HTC Trophy came out, and I grabbed it. Since then I've had a Lumia 822, Lumia 928, and now the Icon. My wife is still sporting the 822, as she doesn't want anything bigger than that. My adult step-daughter is still sporting an 822, after switching to an Android, and back to the 822.

Our stories aren't boring - they make up the history of Windows Phone. :wink:

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
What brought me to Windows phone was when I was looking for a new phone, (not specifically windows phone) and I was leaning towards Android but after playing around with the Lumia 930 in the shop the OS really grew on me and I decided I might as well give something new a try. I also loved the quality and feel over the 930 especially when compared to the s5 that I was considering. I am also fairly new to the platform lol:)

Similar story here, except with some online research, later discovering the 920.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My relationship with WP was a love-hate one till 10 days back.
I started with Lumia 920, loved the form factor, device construction, CAMERA ( :D ). and the OS. The only gripe i had was the apps.
Unfortunately, there were some hardware/battery issues and i ended up selling my lumia and buying a note 2.
I also used my wife's iphone for a few months in this time span. However, i always kept a close watch on the WP platform.
3 months back, i bought my Lumia 1520. I fell in love with it at first sight. It had everything i needed. ( but again i used to crib a little bit for a few apps which were missing).
Now, the story changed post 8.1 cyan update.
I love Cortana (siri is dumb and Google now is too robotic).
Battery life has been spectacular, almost all apps i use are available now.
I will NEVER use lagdroid again.
#just love my Lumia 1520 :)

(ps-sry if the story sounded boring :p )

v_emman

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Nokia and its amazing cameras. While I found the UI of Windows Phone interesting the first time I have played with a WP7 device in a store, it was Lumia 1020 that convinced me to switch from Symbian. I hope Microsoft continues producing camera specific models, like Nokia was always doing.

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone's interface. It is just so different from the rest. What's sad today is that most of the apps are poorly designed or poorly maintained. But still glad that most of the apps I use now looks really good than their counterpart on other OS, though lesser features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster