Just purchased a Lumia 920

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone. Coming from BlackBerry and Android. Just purchased my first Windows phone, the Nokia Lumia 920. Since I am going back to school for my Master's degree I needed to get a new laptop with Windows 8 so I thought I might get a phone to match. It should arrive in about a week.

I will be checking out the forums for information but if you have any tips or input to add, please do!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Congrats, still a great phone ...

If it's new :
  • Before adding any apps, go to SETTINGS >> PHONE UPDATE & check for any updates available
IF it's used (refurbed, etc.)
  • go to SETTINGS >> ABOUT & reset your phone
  • AFTER RESET & Before adding any apps, go to SETTINGS >> PHONE UPDATE & check for any updates available

After you setup your WiFi connection ... then explore the Windows Phone Marketplace (STORE on the phone) for apps of interest. Install apps, judiciously, checking for any issues with the selected app. The good people on this forum are helpful (for the most part) & will answer (well formed) questions, with enuff info provided by you, to give good advice.

GOOD LUCK

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Awesome. Getting it from a company on Ebay. It's supposed to be new and they have excellent reviews so I hope it's true. I didn't want to go all out yet so I thought this might be good enough to play around with. I appreciate your input.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If you will be on AT&T and your data plan allows it, using internet sharing should not be a problem. If the phone is unlocked and you use another carrier chances are slim this will work.

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
TGeek,
Welcome to the family! I hope you enjoy your new Lumia 920 and Windows Phone. I can't vouch much for the 920 or AT&T, but I imagine you'll be just fine. You'll find it easy and intuitive to use your phone and within a week should be an expert. I know I loved my 928 and am loving the ICON.
CodeGunnerDevelopment

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

The Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan update is available for AT&T. It should be available when you set up your new 920.

I have a 920 on AT&T, and I'm running 8.1 Cyan plus the Preview For Developers update. I'm happy with my 920, especially with the Cyan update.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the 920 as well, through at&t. Highly recomend the slim case Nokia makes for the 920. I'll try and find the model number as that was the only way I could find it in stores. Cost me $8 on eBay, fits like a glove, covers everything but the glass and can't even tell it has the case on. Definetly get a qi charger to it worth it. My wife bought the jbl Bluetooth wireless speaker with the qi charger built into the top and she loves it. Enjoy your phone, it has a lot of life left.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I would recomend avoiding third party qi chargers. The built in one with the jbl speaker has been fine but I've heard of overheating issues with many others. Many people don't realize qi communicates with the phone to regulate charging level depending on battery temp and other things and I think many of the third parties don't put the ability to communicate with the phone and regulate the charge level which can cause issues.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the WPC forum. Great to see you trying it out. Also have a 920 and it has held up well over time even surviving numerous hard drops. Hope it serves you well too.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! The 920 is a great device, I'm sure you'll love it. I've had mine since launch and still love it!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the 920 as well, through at&t. Highly recomend the slim case Nokia makes for the 920. I'll try and find the model number as that was the only way I could find it in stores. Cost me $8 on eBay, fits like a glove, covers everything but the glass and can't even tell it has the case on. Definetly get a qi charger to it worth it. My wife bought the jbl Bluetooth wireless speaker with the qi charger built into the top and she loves it. Enjoy your phone, it has a lot of life left.

I have QI chargers I used with my Nexus 5, love them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans