Hello I am new here!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central Peter! Glad you found us! We're here to help you with any questions or concerns with your interest and trial of Windows Phone.

I heard that the screen of the 1520 is not that great as the screen from the 930 but it's an option :) Altho i like the design of the 930 a but more. But how are the windows phones when it comes to an outdated model as i know Android models follow each other up very quick like Samsung have 2 flagships the Galaxy S & Note series.

I don't know where you heard the 1520's screen is not that great. The 6" IPS LCD 1080p screen on the 1520 is one of the most amazing and beautiful displays available on the market...

Well i feel confident to get a flagship model as i also buy an iPhone 6 Plus as i have a macbook pro.
I might talk often about Apple but i am not meaning to offend anyone as both systems are great on their own way
No offence will ever be taken here! You'll find that many of us here at WC are big fans of multiple platforms. (I just got a brand new iPad Air 2 for Christmas!) I myself came from 4 generations of iPhones before switching my main daily driver to Windows Phone. I still appreciate the iPhone and Apple's ecosystem, and have even been considering an iPhone 6 Plus as well as a secondary phone, but since I started using WP, I've fallen in love with the OS. Windows Phone is so fluid and beautiful.. and there's nothing like a customizable Start screen with it's Live Tiles. Once you start using it, you'll see. I think the main reason the Windows Phone platform hasn't risen in market share, is that people are afraid of change and are afraid to try new things. They keep the mindset that Microsoft is this old man company full of viruses, crashes, and BSODs (Blue Screens of Death). Well times have changed, and I promise anyone, just give WP a chance and try it... you'll fall in love with it just as I have!

What's so special about glance? It's just to display various items such as amount new unread emails or missed phone calls etc?

The amazing thing about Glance is it operates with the proximity sensor, where you can just pull your phone out of your pocket (or just wave your hand over it if it's lying on a table etc) and see all of your notifications at a "Glance"... without ever even having to touch or push any buttons on your phone. It's especially useful if you're at work, cooking, or working on a car, etc. where your hands might be dirty and you don't want to touch your nice phone.

But does it not consumes extra battery power?

Very, very little...

PK070

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central Peter! Glad you found us! We're here to help you with any questions or concerns with your interest and trial of Windows Phone.

Thanks

I don't know where you heard the 1520's screen is not that great. The 6" IPS LCD 1080p screen on the 1520 is one of the most amazing and beautiful displays available on the market...

Saw that on some video reviews but i know that IPS LCD is good cause much better screen view from various angles. But maybe that particular person liked over saturated colors.

No offence will ever be taken here! You'll find that many of us here at WC are big fans of multiple platforms. (I just got a brand new iPad Air 2 for Christmas!) I myself came from 4 generations of iPhones before switching my main daily driver to Windows Phone. I still appreciate the iPhone and Apple's ecosystem, and have even been considering an iPhone 6 Plus as well as a secondary phone, but since I started using WP, I've fallen in love with the OS. Windows Phone is so fluid and beautiful.. and there's nothing like a customizable Start screen with it's Live Tiles. Once you start using it, you'll see. I think the main reason the Windows Phone platform hasn't risen in market share, is that people are afraid of change and are afraid to try new things. They keep the mindset that Microsoft is this old man company full of viruses, crashes, and BSODs (Blue Screens of Death). Well times have changed, and I promise anyone, just give WP a chance and try it... you'll fall in love with it just as I have!

I am not afraid of any virus as i won't do anything that will make me afraid of getting them as i won't install apps from outside the windows store or flash different kind of roms. And the only reason why it won't be my daily driver is just cause i use a macbook pro and due i have just 4gb ram i don't have windows 8.1 installed as previous test was not working well with parallels.

The amazing thing about Glance is it operates with the proximity sensor, where you can just pull your phone out of your pocket (or just wave your hand over it if it's lying on a table etc) and see all of your notifications at a "Glance"... without ever even having to touch or push any buttons on your phone. It's especially useful if you're at work, cooking, or working on a car, etc. where your hands might be dirty and you don't want to touch your nice phone.

If it's that great then why it's not on all models like the 930? I mean every useful feature is welcome, altho too many like samsung does just sucks. I really hate Samsung and i know many people swear to Samsung but man many features i don't even use such as smart pause/view etc.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not afraid of any virus as i won't do anything that will make me afraid of getting them as i won't install apps from outside the windows store or flash different kind of roms.
There aren't any on Windows Phone 8.1. Microsoft has gone with the same type of "walled garden" approach that Apple has been using for years. You can ONLY install apps from the store. The OS is locked down pretty tight... and I don't believe there are an custom roms at all. That's what I'm trying to say.. This isn't your father's Windows lol, it's quite secure!
If it's that great then why it's not on all models like the 930?

That's a good question, and one many of us here asked when the 930/Icon came out. Microsoft sometimes leaves us with a head scratcher.. Like the 1020; the most amazing camera on a smartphone ever.. but failed to include an SD card slot with it! This is why, in my opinion, the 1520 is the best choice flagship Windows Phone; it has the best of everything.

PK070

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
There aren't any on Windows Phone 8.1. Microsoft has gone with the same type of "walled garden" approach that Apple has been using for years. You can ONLY install apps from the store. The OS is locked down pretty tight... and I don't believe there are an custom roms at all. That's what I'm trying to say.. This isn't your father's Windows lol, it's quite secure!

That's a good question, and one many of us here asked when the 930/Icon came out. Microsoft sometimes leaves us with a head scratcher.. Like the 1020; the most amazing camera on a smartphone ever.. but failed to include an SD card slot with it! This is why, in my opinion, the 1520 is the best choice flagship Windows Phone; it has the best of everything.

So i know before it was always some flaming how closed OS X is and iOS but now Microsoft decided the same for at least their Mobile os. As i remember "back in the day" when i had the Samsung Omnia i had it changed quite soon with various roms.

Cause i can imagine Windows Mobile 8.1 had more possibilities to customize it i mean it's kind of sad that you where able to use a wallpaper since 8.1?

But on the other hand i see with at least the Lumia series that hardware and os works perfect no matter what hardware the phone got, Games are a different story as of course not all models can play very well for example Asphalt 8.

And about the 1520 i heard some stories like that shops from a Dutch provider did send their stock back so people only where able to choose the 930 if they wanted a flagship model.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Glance.

Some screens can't have Glance due to a physical limitation with the hardware. While the 930 has a killer display in terms of pixel density, it lacks "screen memory" which is needed for Glance. That's my rudimentary understanding at any rate.

I love, love, love Glance. I just find it so useful to not have to wake the phone up to tell clearly what so many statuses and notifications are doing. I keep mine set to always on, but the proximity sensor limits that. If the phone is in my pocket, or face down on a table, the screen stays unlit. But the moment I look at the screen there all the info is. Then if I pocket the phone again or lay it back down, the screen goes out. I think it saves me battery in the long run as I don't have to wake the phone every time I want to see a simple status... And I get a pretty wide choice of what info displays there.

Re: IPS vs AMOLED

I really prefer IPS, some love AMOLED. I can see positives to each, some are entrenched in their camp. Anyone who gives the 1520 screen a poor review is in the latter part of both those two preceding statements. I favor IPS mainly for the warmer, more realistic colors and the readability in full sunlight.

IMHO, the 367 pixel per inch density on the 1520 is right about at the sweet spot. Sure plenty of phones have a higher ppi (iPhone 6+, 930, Galaxy S5, etc.), but it is mostly wasted tech. How close to the device are you going to place your eye? At a normal viewing distance the 367 ppi holds up fantastically. I never see any pixelation.

PK070

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Glance.

Some screens can't have Glance due to a physical limitation with the hardware. While the 930 has a killer display in terms of pixel density, it lacks "screen memory" which is needed for Glance. That's my rudimentary understanding at any rate.

I love, love, love Glance. I just find it so useful to not have to wake the phone up to tell clearly what so many statuses and notifications are doing. I keep mine set to always on, but the proximity sensor limits that. If the phone is in my pocket, or face down on a table, the screen stays unlit. But the moment I look at the screen there all the info is. Then if I pocket the phone again or lay it back down, the screen goes out. I think it saves me battery in the long run as I don't have to wake the phone every time I want to see a simple status... And I get a pretty wide choice of what info displays there.

Re: IPS vs AMOLED

I really prefer IPS, some love AMOLED. I can see positives to each, some are entrenched in their camp. Anyone who gives the 1520 screen a poor review is in the latter part of both those two preceding statements. I favor IPS mainly for the warmer, more realistic colors and the readability in full sunlight.

IMHO, the 367 pixel per inch density on the 1520 is right about at the sweet spot. Sure plenty of phones have a higher ppi (iPhone 6+, 930, Galaxy S5, etc.), but it is mostly wasted tech. How close to the device are you going to place your eye? At a normal viewing distance the 367 ppi holds up fantastically. I never see any pixelation.

Thanks for your view :)
I think i will wait until Windows Phone 10 comes out and pick then a flagship device :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well i just want to give Windows Phone a fair chance. And i think a allround chance is by getting a flagship phone.

I think based on your responses it is best to wait. Welcome to the community. The only caveat is that if you can get a hold of a cheap used 925 or an 830, then that is not a bad place to end up to test the waters so to speak. Build quality is good, screen is good, glance is great on the 925, the camera is great on both devices and the feel in hand, weight of device is also just right for either device. Good luck with the search.,

PK070

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think based on your responses it is best to wait. Welcome to the community. The only caveat is that if you can get a hold of a cheap used 925 or an 830, then that is not a bad place to end up to test the waters so to speak. Build quality is good, screen is good, glance is great on the 925, the camera is great on both devices and the feel in hand, weight of device is also just right for either device. Good luck with the search.,

I actually will wait as in 2 weeks i go buy the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. So i wait at least until phones with Windows Mobile 10 are released and see the responses of people who have those devices

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I actually will wait as in 2 weeks i go buy the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. So i wait at least until phones with Windows Mobile 10 are released and see the responses of people who have those devices
Okay, I honestly doubt that Windows 10 will release for phones in two weeks, as in an actual full-fledged launch, with actual flagships and all.
Roll with a cheap 925 or 830, depending on what you prefer in the phone, and try those out first.

That said, I may have misunderstood you.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Keep an eye out on the Windows Central front page for first reactions etc., when 10 comes out. Hopefully we'll see you around these parts again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon