Hi all! Help me jump ship

swepulse

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello all!
I've been browsing WPCentral a lot the past months since Microsoft has really renewed my interest their ecosystem.
I'm fairly platform agnostic, swapping phones regularly (iOS and android, last time I used windows was the HTC Trophy), owning a Windows 10 destkop and a now paper weight rMBP 13.
Yes, a damn paperweight! The latop was practically brand new and after a short vacation during Christmas the device wouldn't turn on when I came home. Water damage they claimed, I'd like to say it wasn't but there's not much one can do.
Back on topic;
I have always considered the macbooks with unibody the laptop-to-beat in terms of overall quality. Software wise I was never a big fan of W8 on my desktop and I prefer XP/7. Windows 10 has renewed my liking for the OS. The dev preview, office suite, xbox integration and W10 coontinuity(?) are all impressive! Despite of this I've been afraid of leaving Apples hardware since there always seems to be some sort of catch with the windows laptop counterparts.

The new XPS looks amazing! My insurance company is refunding the entire cost of my rMBP so I have quite a lot of money to play around with. Whilst the smart thing might be to wait until the summer to see what Apple, Asus et cetera offers I'm sort of in a tight spot. I'm a student, I need a laptop when I'm not at home. I have an iPad which I use in school, which is great for reading! But when it comes to creating a clean copy of annotations that I take in class the touch-screen keyboard becomes a nightmare (I know I know, the surface, but I prefer hand-writing and later on typing it up).

Can anyone convince me to get the Dell? I've heard a lot of complaints about their products before, yet simultaneously a lot of appraisal for their stuff. I might be a bit bias, but I haven't experienced a lot of complaints with apples laptops.
It's mostly paranoia over abandoning what has been a very reliable computer (apart from my current but no problems whatosever before that).
Has anyone done the jump from OSX to W? I usually read stories about the other way around.

Thanks all for your feedback!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I had an opportunity to use a MAC laptop at work. Didn't seem as user friendly as Windows experience. So I traded for a touch screen laptop and I am back in my comfort zone. Its ASUS, haven't had a Dell laptop in a few years so can't speak on the quality now, but it was good back then..

I think your major concern is not about hardware, but about muscle memory on how to navigate, get things done and be a power user..

swepulse

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey man and thanks for the reply!
You're probably not too far of I believe. It's just my norm but I suppose it could be worth trying to break it.
I find OSX really user friendly for what I do, but to each their own eh!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I use the 15inch version with work. Great but can get hot if not used on a flat surface like a table - doesn't like being on laps... But that could be the Nvidia card...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel