About to test drive Windows Phone...... Introduction in order.

cwHemphill

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, my name is Chris. I messed around with every mobile OS from Blackberry, WebOS, IOS, and now Android. Recently, I have been curious in trying out Windows Phone, so I decided to buy a cheaper phone to test out the OS for a few weeks and to see if it will fit into my daily life. I ordered a used Lumia 635 off Amazon.com and it will hopefully arrive in about a week. I would just like to know if the community has any tips for me or app recommendations. Thanks in advance!

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome ...

I just picked up a Lumia 635, to substitute for my Lumia 1520 (it's needing service, but that's another story).
As someone who's had a few Windows phones (Lumia 920 now my wife's, Lumia 1520 luv that phone, now Lumia 635 temporarily), I'd suggest you try the device for the OS experience. If you like, step up to a better device & enjoy all that Windows Phone has to offer.

Check out MyAppFree for deals on FREE (or reduced price apps), register for Bing rewards & earn points towards Store credits, Amazon gift cards, etc and stay tuned on Windows Central for FREE app offers. Almost all of my paid apps were either purchased w Store Credit (earned thru Bing) or d/l when they were offered FREE. The Lumia 635 appears to be a good entry point, even though it's only 8GB onboard storage, it takes an (up to 128GB) sdCard for addon storage. Don't judge the camera on the Lumia 635 (it's not the best), the Lumia 1520 has one of the better cameras out there, along with the Lumia 1020.

Good Luck.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that; I will definitely look into it. Another question, is there a Gmail and YouTube app fro Windows Phone?
MetroTube is a good alternative for YouTube. I have both a 830 and 635. Enjoy it, that little phone rocks. You can't beat it for the price.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
For Gmail, native email works fine for me, and Tubecast is my favorite YouTube client. Still there are other alternatives when you feel adventurous in Store.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Windows Central. I'm glad you've joined our community.

MyTube is another good YouTube app for Windows Phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome.

I think you sound like the type of user who understands what a budget phone is and will scale expectancies accordingly. I too tried WP on a budget phone and had previously bashed around webOS a lot, dabbled with iOS and Symbian, then plunged into Android where I also used the Nexus as a springboard to test Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS and Jolla Sailfish. I tried a Lumia 521 and got hooked on Windows Phone. I came to realize I liked the modding on Android way more than the Android OS and I switched over to WP and bought a Lumia 925 quite quickly.

What won me over was the OS itself. Everything I want to know and use is so close to the surface with the Live Tiles and the customizable Start Screen.

Here Maps and Here Drive navigation also made me a convert. I used my Lumia 521 on a week long trip and loved the ease of doing what I needed to do and navigating with Here offline maps. The 5MP camera without flash on your 635 is pretty much what I had on the 521. Understanding what a budget phone I was using left me even more impressed with what Lumia can do for 5MP no flash. It shows an attention to detail and a desire to excel.

Glad you are trying it out. Hope you like it and look forward to reading your perceptions.

One caveat. I would resist the urge to dabble in Preview for Developers or Windows Insider. Let the finished product speak for itself before modding and investigating.

635 is a worthwhile test. Good Luck.

cwHemphill

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for the responses and recommendations! I will definitely look into all of those. I found the Lumia 635 used on Amazon for about $45 so I'm not really losing anything if I like it. One more question, If I wanted to upgrade to a better Windows phone should I decide to switch; which would be a good one? I'm on T-Mobile if that matters and all they have on their sight is the 521 and the 635.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for the responses and recommendations! I will definitely look into all of those. I found the Lumia 635 used on Amazon for about $45 so I'm not really losing anything if I like it. One more question, If I wanted to upgrade to a better Windows phone should I decide to switch; which would be a good one? I'm on T-Mobile if that matters and all they have on their sight is the 521 and the 635.

Since T-Mobile is a GSM network, I think any unlocked 830, 930 or even 1520 should work. The only issue, as far as I know, is that you may not be able to get LTE speeds, but other members can chime in on that and clarify it for you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to our community. If you're feeling adventurous, the 635 is on the Windows 10 for Phone program right now. Yes, it's got some bugs but you'll have an inside track on what's coming later this year. If you like what you see, it'll be an easier decision for you if you decide to go with a more upscale device. We're always here to help in any way we can. No question is ever too noob-ish and we all have our shots up to date.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When the time comes...

We can help. Many an international model will ride on T-Mo just fine. Take a look at the Picture in my signature. The whole thing is a link to a guide on matching the right unlocked phone to your carrier. There are a lot of people here who know this subject well.

Lumia 1520.3 or RM-938 is a Factory Unlocked Latin America variant that is perfectly compatible with T-MoUS. Arguably the best Windows Phone in existence. However, this fall should see some choice, dedicated, Win 10 flagship release so the outlook at this time is wait... and see... and hopefully be wowed.

gottago

Dec 5, 2004
Visit site
Being on T-Mobile, I'd suggest finding a used 925 branded by T-Mobile. You'll have the benefit of full compatibility and potential support since they sold that model. If a phablet is your desire, I'd suggest the 1520.3 if you can find one. While T-Mobile never sold it, it has all the bands for optimum performance on T-Mo. All you will lose with the 1520.3 is WiFi calling.

cwHemphill

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I was just looking at the Lumia 925 and I really like the look of it. If everything works out okay then that might be my new phone!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows and to Windows Central, Chris!

You may want to check out our Lumia 635 forum as well as the Lumia 925 forum... we've got a dedicated forum for almost every Windows Phone out there.

Let us know when your L635 arrives... but you may want to hold on to that first before getting a newer/higher-spec-ed Windows phone. Windows 10 is coming and most of us are expecting an announcement of a new set of phones by then.:cool:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Glad to hear you're giving Windows Phone a spin! I'm sure you're going to love it as much as the rest of us here. Let us know when you get it, and if you have any questions, we're here to help!

As others have mentioned above, we're heading into a transitional period.. Later this year, Windows 10 will launch, along with a new generation of phone hardware; (they're dropping the "Windows Phone" name) where everything will be Windows 10 devices - Windows 10 phones, tablets, PCs, all in ones, and IOT connected devices.

We're in for some exciting times ahead, and you're joining us just in time! Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)