Hello everyone! Just got a Lumia 640, my first WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
So far I'm really digging it. I decided to make the switch as my Nexus 4 for some reason completely lost It's IMEI internally and could no longer get any cellular data.

At first, I decided to get the phone just to tie me over until tax season and then go back to Android. I was looking at the cheaper Android phones and performance wise they were all pretty terrible unless I wanted to spend a few hundred on it. I've been using the device for a few days and have pretty much fallen in love with the UI (also installed the 10 insider preview) and now plan on getting a flagship windows phone during tax season instead of an android one.

At first I thought losing google services would be impossible, but so far the Microsoft substitutes like one drive have worked just as well if not better, And since my pc is upgraded to Windows 10 it just makes more sense to use it as it is baked into the OS. Also after finding an app to use Google talk with (IM+) I am pretty much all set! (Though if someone knows of a better one, please let me know!)

No problems with the device so far, aside from a dead pixel in the middle of the screen (sigh). I'm just going to go to walmart and exchange it for another probably today after I reset this one back to 8.1, as I still have the receipt and everything.

Anyway, just thought I would say hello :)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central! The Lumia 640 is an amazing device for the price. I just got mine yesterday.
Sorry to hear about the dead pixel, hopefully Walmart will exchange it without any issues.
Keep in mind that Google Talk will probably will be rolled over into Hangouts and then IM+ might stop working...

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central! The Lumia 640 is an amazing device for the price. I just got mine yesterday.
Sorry to hear about the dead pixel, hopefully Walmart will exchange it without any issues.
Keep in mind that Google Talk will probably will be rolled over into Hangouts and then IM+ might stop working...

Yeah I've heard they are changing some stuff on the back end that might block functionality for 3rd party applications. I can also use Facebook messenger if that is the case thankfully. And as for as the walmart thing goes, me too lol. They are pretty good about returns though, and as the device had a defect out of the box I should be fine. The guy I spoke with on the phone said I should be able too, so here's hoping.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I use Facebook Messenger on my WP devices and like it quite a bit. I don't use FB though...

I have one but don't really use it either. It would just be for messaging my wife mostly when she is at home. She is kind of an Android diehard, but then again so was I. She checked out my phone and said "It's very shiny!" with much enthusiasm. I think she can be swayed :devil: Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome Worldspy99.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! I've been keeping an eye on that 640 at Walmart as well. Nice phone.

My wife and I don't use messaging clients. We just text each other instead. Unlimited texts, so she doesn't understand why doing a messaging app makes any difference when we only text each other. I can't find a reason either, so there we are. Maybe someone else can explain that to me some day.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Welcome! I've been keeping an eye on that 640 at Walmart as well. Nice phone.

My wife and I don't use messaging clients. We just text each other instead. Unlimited texts, so she doesn't understand why doing a messaging app makes any difference when we only text each other. I can't find a reason either, so there we are. Maybe someone else can explain that to me some day.

Cell service issues in the area mostly. If shes home and I'm at work I can get a message to her through an app without any issues, since we are both on wifi.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I'll have to remember that one. Neither of us have issues with cell service, and neither of us have regular access to WiFi, which is why we need reliable cell service to begin with. :)

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I'll have to remember that one. Neither of us have issues with cell service, and neither of us have regular access to WiFi, which is why we need reliable cell service to begin with. :)

It's the main reason we are probably switching to AT&T around tax season , T-mobiles coverage here is spotty.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Well I got a replacement at walmart, instead of a dead pixel this has a stuck white one *sigh*. Bad batch maybe?

Guess I'm going back again tomorrow.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I got a replacement at walmart, instead of a dead pixel this has a stuck white one *sigh*. Bad batch maybe?

Guess I'm going back again tomorrow.

Patience is a virtue my friend!
Welcome to Windows Central...raising a glass in hopes that you find the best experience with Windows mobile...

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Got the third replacement. Original walmart I went to was sold out, drove a bit further and got the very last one they had in stock. I haven't examined it under a magnifying glass or anything, but as of now no display issues I can discern! Maybe the first store just had a bad batch or something. Either way, I'm now satisfied!

My ocd can rest easy.

EDIT: Nearly had a heart attack because there was something on the screen, yet it was just a speck of something under the screen protector... :shocked:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon