Hello everyone! Just got a Lumia 640, my first WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows Phone (and Windows Central)!
The 640 is a great phone to start with, and I'm glad to hear that the third time was a charm. I'm really enjoying my own. Who knows, maybe your wife might become convinced if you use it enough around her. I convinced my dad to get one himself xd

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I'm having a hard time not taking a drive to Walmart to pick one up for myself. So tempting. But, I must resist. We're too close to flagships being released, and the final Windows 10 for Mobile being released is just around the corner. I have to wait and see if any existing devices will get OTG before I spend money on another phone. I'll wait patiently (or impatiently) with my 635 and see what happens.

Must resist... must resist... must resist...

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
A very good phone for start. Really now I think that switching from Android was a good decision.�� ��

Yeah me too, Like I said at first it was only a temporary thing until tax season, but now I'll probably get whatever the flagship WP is when we switch to AT&T. I didn't think I would like the interface as much as I do, but it just kind of clicked with me in a way. I haven't been this excited about phones in a long time :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah me too, Like I said at first it was only a temporary thing until tax season, but now I'll probably get whatever the flagship WP is when we switch to AT&T. I didn't think I would like the interface as much as I do, but it just kind of clicked with me in a way. I haven't been this excited about phones in a long time :)

Does us good to hear that :)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So far I'm really digging it. I decided to make the switch as my Nexus 4 for some reason completely lost It's IMEI internally and could no longer get any cellular data.

At first, I decided to get the phone just to tie me over until tax season and then go back to Android. I was looking at the cheaper Android phones and performance wise they were all pretty terrible unless I wanted to spend a few hundred on it. I've been using the device for a few days and have pretty much fallen in love with the UI (also installed the 10 insider preview) and now plan on getting a flagship windows phone during tax season instead of an android one.

At first I thought losing google services would be impossible, but so far the Microsoft substitutes like one drive have worked just as well if not better, And since my pc is upgraded to Windows 10 it just makes more sense to use it as it is baked into the OS. Also after finding an app to use Google talk with (IM+) I am pretty much all set! (Though if someone knows of a better one, please let me know!)

No problems with the device so far, aside from a dead pixel in the middle of the screen (sigh). I'm just going to go to walmart and exchange it for another probably today after I reset this one back to 8.1, as I still have the receipt and everything.

Anyway, just thought I would say hello :)
I was actually using OneDrive on my Android phone in-between my Lumia 521 and my 640 and personally found it much more intuitive and reliable that the Android Photo Backup. While I use gmail a lot, thankfully I am not locked into Google's app ecosystem.

I have always liked the photos from Lumia's low end device cameras. So much so I have no need for a high end device. The 640 to me feels like the holy grail of Windows Phones ie inexpensive yet it feels like a much higher end device. Its CPU won't impress spec nerds, but it's perfectly adequate for my needs and it certainly wasn't that long ago that it's camera wouldn't have shamed a high end device.

Enjoy! :)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome! I've been keeping an eye on that 640 at Walmart as well. Nice phone.

My wife and I don't use messaging clients. We just text each other instead. Unlimited texts, so she doesn't understand why doing a messaging app makes any difference when we only text each other. I can't find a reason either, so there we are. Maybe someone else can explain that to me some day.
I tend to be more a text person on the phone too since you know text is universal from the lowliest phone to the most expensive smartphone. However I will use skype messaging if the person is using their laptop etc.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Walmart will exchange your phone with a new one as long as it's within 7 days of purchase I swapped mines out before

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Stay alive!!! The last thing we need is someone dying because of a lumia :p

Actually, the news has been about Lumia's saving lives. A while back a Lumia stopped a bullet in Brazil. Also, the fact that New York Police use them now to get quicker response times.

One the other now on the other side, a stewardess was killed by her iPhone when it shocked her to death after getting out of the tub. And also. There was also a girl who had a Samsung Galaxy explode in her back pocket, causing her much harm.

WP, wait W10M for life... FTW!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
One the other now on the other side, a stewardess was killed by her iPhone when it shocked her to death after getting out of the tub. And also. There was also a girl who had a Samsung Galaxy explode in her back pocket, causing her much harm.

Not to sound crass, but anybody who has an electronic/electric device anywhere near a bathtub pretty much deserves a little "shock therapy". No one deserves to die for their mistakes but she could have been touching someone else and injured or killed them too. As for the Galaxy girl, if it was Kim K. then it probably did more good than harm. Lots of worthless meat there.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to sound crass, but anybody who has an electronic/electric device anywhere near a bathtub pretty much deserves a little "shock therapy". No one deserves to die for their mistakes but she could have been touching someone else and injured or killed them too. As for the Galaxy girl, if it was Kim K. then it probably did more good than harm. Lots of worthless meat there.

I should have said "after she had gotten out of the tub", as in already out and in her towel. The "Official" story was something like "the current arced from the outlet across the exterior if her DC adaptor, then again before traveling along the entire ?3' length of her shielded charging cable, then somehow arced for the 3rd time to the metal body of her iPhone and onto her freshly washed and potentially moist hands."

If that had happened to Kim K., we wouldn't have to worry about her a$$ breaking the internet. 8)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I should have said "after she had gotten out of the tub", as in already out and in her towel. The "Official" story was something like "the current arced from the outlet across the exterior if her DC adaptor, then again before traveling along the entire ?3' length of her shielded charging cable, then somehow arced for the 3rd time to the metal body of her iPhone and onto her freshly washed and potentially moist hands."

If that had happened to Kim K., we wouldn't have to worry about her a$$ breaking the internet. 8)

Even better, she brought her charging cord into the bathroom. I'm guessing she didn't have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFI) outlet in her bathroom. Something to be said about proper building codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss