Hi!! L830 | Male| I'm in India!! :D

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I know 'When in India?' has become sort of a joke now, but I still smile when I come across it, lol!

Anyway, I realized that I haven't officially introduced myself here before even though I have posted in a few forums before. So here I go -

This is Uday, 24 and I'm from Chennai, India. I've been a long time admirer of the Windows Phone UI and even when I had an Android I used to tell myself that One Day I'll make the jump!!

And that jump happened last year when I purchased my Lumia 830 (black)!! :D I'll be honest and admit that if I had waited a bit more I would have gotten it for a lot lesser, but I was restless and purchased it at Rs. 28,000 which was the launch price. (I still sometimes wonder how many people in India have purchased the 830) Anyway to this day, I never regretted my choice because I think Lumia 830 is a perfect combination of style and substance. I love that it's got a SD card slot, Glance, removable back cover (which the 930 doesn't) and is also thinner. I'm also a hobbyist photographer and this phone also satisfied my need to have a quality camera around without the need for a dedicated camera. Some of the results I have achieved with this device are simply superb and have wowed by friends from time to time!

Yes, there's the occasional bug now and then but nothing too detrimental. I love my Lumia and will never back to Android (too boring!!!).

I like to stay away from specheads for the baseless junk they spew out from time to time. "But, but, you get the same specs in a Moto G for half the price!!!!!" went everyone when I told my friends about my purchase decision. Comparing Moto G and Lumia 830, seriously? #Joke. I think higher-end Lumias are a different class altogether.

P.S. I was in an elevator the other day with four other people and they all had Lumias! I could recognize two 730s, 520 and a 640! Had tears in my eyes! #ThereIsHopeYet

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hi!! I'm in India!! :D

Welcome to Windows Central Uday! Or since you are in Chennai, should I say Vanakkam:)
Great device the 830. I had it for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed it. Right now I am dabbling back and forth between the 640, 735 and the 925.

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Hi!! I'm in India!! :D

Welcome to Windows Central Uday! Or since you are in Chennai, should I say Vanakkam:)
Great device the 830. I had it for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed it. Right now I am dabbling back and forth between the 640, 735 and the 925.

Thanks worldspy99! Are you from India as well?! 830 is truly a gem but I understand the EOL it received. It is a neither-here-nor-there phone. Too expensive for a mid-range, and does not satisfy the "affordable flagship" moniker it had. With Windows 10 looming on the horizon, MS knew that no one's gonna bat an eye at it.

I'm impressed by the 640, great build and works wonderfully. Was successfully able to covert a couple of my colleagues to WP! :D

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Welcome Uday...

That camera. That's what makes you love the 830 alright. I had one as a backup for a little while and I used the camera a lot.

What's your favorite camera App? Mine is Camera360 Sight.

Be sure to check out the Photography Forums: http://forums.windowscentral.com/#windows-phone-photography

Hi there! Ooh yes, the camera is what clinches the device for me. And exactly the reason why I didn't go for the 730. We all need the PureView magic! :) I do Long Exposures quite often, and even though the max we get is 4 seconds (I dunno if MS has plans of increasing that), and L830 completely hits the ball out of the park in this regard. Stunning results, always.

And Rich Capture!!! Makes life so easier. I actually use Lumia Camera for my day to day usage, and switch to Camera360 Sight only when I don't get the result I expected. Both of them are great apps, but!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I was going to say the device/sex/age/location thing was reserved for US and UK, but it's way beyond that now anyway. LOL.

830 is a nice device, just overpriced for me on what it delivers. Only thing it offers over the 640 for me is the better camera. Camera is a lot better, but not $320 better, which would be the price difference for me to buy one for AT&T here in the US. $80 vs. $399 at AT&T, so I ended up passing on it. If I wasn't such a cheapskate I would have bought it anyway.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
welcome, i have the same device in black with a green cover, it really stands out with the bright color, only thing is i rolled back to 8.1 because the update today was too buggy for me :)

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Nokia got the pricing so amazingly wrong with this one. Especially when compared with devices like 640 and 730. I'm glad that Microsoft is at least being sensible here.

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
welcome, i have the same device in black with a green cover, it really stands out with the bright color, only thing is i rolled back to 8.1 because the update today was too buggy for me :)

Was it? It is running okay on mine. I think I'll stick with it! :)

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Was it? It is running okay on mine. I think I'll stick with it! :)

The bug that are currently on this build were too much, i uses cellular data and internet sharing a lot. Those 2 were enough for me not to upgrade and went back to 8.1. Maybe in a future build i'll try it out again 😃.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The bug that are currently on this build were too much, i uses cellular data and internet sharing a lot. Those 2 were enough for me not to upgrade and went back to 8.1. Maybe in a future build i'll try it out again ��.

Internet sharing is why I didn't make the move to the new build to begin with. Instead of installing first thing, I waited for Windows Central to post the known bugs, then made the decision I can't live without Internet Sharing, or Hotspot, or whatever you want to call it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire