First time using a Windows phone

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Coming mainly from Android for the past couple of years, this is the first time I am using a Windows phone with the Lumia 640XL and soon the 950XL. First impressions, damn the phone is so smooth and fast coming from S3. Everything is so crisp and beautiful, I sometimes just open the phone just to play with the UI. I also love how the battery management of Windows, it is incredible how slowly it eats battery. The only stinger, you guessed, coming rom Android, it is daunting to see so many apps simply don't exist and in it's place some knock-off apps. I am hoping the situation will improve dramatically with Windows 10, otherwise a great phone all around.

I hope to learn about Windows phone from here, as I am noob. Thanks for having me. Oh by the way, anyone know how to download the full office application programs on the phone. My android had much better functional office than the phone which feels dramatically stripped down.

Thanks

Don't sell the "knock off" apps short just yet--some of them are better than the official versions from other platforms! A perfect example of this is 6tag, which is a third-party Instagram app. This forum is really great for discovering good app alternatives. I hope you continue enjoying your Windows Phone!

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually the keyboard on windows phone is far superior than any other platform....

you can type by clicking any letter - daah

but you can also swipe like you use swiftkey... its actually very fluid, works with a bunch of languages, because i think it learns from other people and adds to the dictionary.

Edit: and welcome to our small planet.

btw people saying that windows did not create a good office experience on windows phone.... lets be real, windows phone where the first to have it, then the started developing to android and ios and w10M, and they are all ready now... i use it on windows 10, but sadly W10M is the one that is not ready.

I can say it is, but only in English. I'd like to see the same in my own native language where it's available on stock Android keyboard. So this is why 3-rd party keyboards would come in handy.

Or

The best thing is Microsoft updating their own keyboard that would support swiping in every language.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Another one has joined!

It's great to see another Windows Phone user, and believe me, it's incredibly easy to go from Android to Windows, but nearly impossible to go back. Personally, I don't have issues with the lack of apps. Everything I have is here. There are a lot less issues to worry about (Stagefright, fragmentation, etc.) and many things that makes this OS unique (tiles, themes & colors, cameras, and other goodies in Windows 10 Mobile). The 640XL is an excellent choice as a first, and aiming for the 950XL next is amazing! Here's a tip - just get involved here. Read the articles, ask questions, give opinions, all is fair game. Microsoft is picking up steam, and things can only get better from here...

Welcome to the family!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I can say it is, but only in English. I'd like to see the same in my own native language where it's available on stock Android keyboard. So this is why 3-rd party keyboards would come in handy.

Or

The best thing is Microsoft updating their own keyboard that would support swiping in every language.

works perfectly to me in Arabic.

actually as long as you have predictions you have wordflow, no matter what the language.

ashish purohit6295

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
i personally never felt the need of 3rd party keyboard on my phone
also the default keyboard provides swipe to type function which is very cool
it also suggests hindi words to me :grin::smile::smile:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Welcome!

As you can see everyone here is pretty friendly (well 99.9% of us anyway :winktongue:).

Have you tried offline maps yet?

I have the entire maps downloaded for the UK on my 920 which saves a lot of data (although I do have unlimited data) and not to mention reduces the battery drain significantly.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Welcome!

As you can see everyone here is pretty friendly (well 99.9% of us anyway :winktongue:).

Have you tried offline maps yet?

I have the entire maps downloaded for the UK on my 920 which saves a lot of data (although I do have unlimited data) and not to mention reduces the battery drain significantly.
I am that .1%! You guys are all a bunch of pansies! Numpty heads! Gits! Nah just kidding. You're only numpty heads.

rocker1m1

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Been using the phone for a week. Apart from some annoying issues related to touch screen not always responding, (especially on small UI elements), the experience has been rock solid. Loving it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte