Recent android convert, the struggle is real

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I've been on WP for almost a week now. I'm doing definitely having trouble making the transition. Coming from a note 3 to an HTC 8xt. Basically I just don't like the way google is influencing manufacturers to do away with SD cards and removable batteries, and all the fragmentation. I'm not a fan of ios so my only other option is windows phone.
I know the HTC 8xt is the black sheep of the group but I'm still under contract with sprint for another year, and I didn't find this out until I already purchased it. But its smooth and fast and I got it cheap as can be from amazon.
I have about a hundred questions but this is supposed to be just for introductions. Now off to search the forums for some answers. Thanks for reading.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central! I too don't like how Google is doing that, because I'm a fan, like anyone else, of expandable storage and better long lasting 5,000 to 7,500 mAh batteries. I too am not a fan of ios devices, well really any Apple products with the exception of a few Macbook Pro's, but with that said I welcome you here, hope you enjoy your HTC 8xt, and the time your here with us.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm an ex-pat run away from the G myself.

Welcome.

I've switched devices a LOT and platforms too.

Don't try and make this platform behave like the other. I see many users get crushing migraines trying to do it, no matter which swap they are making.

It's a different groove, for sure. Best to go all in if you can. I dropped my last vestiges of Google earlier this year and it has been great for me. If you signed up for your Microsoft Account under Gmail and ever want to switch it, try my guide: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ft-account-without-resetting-your-device.html

Microsoft Integration is one of the features I love best on this platform.

Great good luck and if I see you out on the boards, I'll be happy to help.

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I do like my HTC 8xt in a lot of ways. It's compact and powerful. I'm impressed with how fast and smooth the OS is. It is faster and smoother than my note 3 ever was and its older and cheaper.
The only disappointment so far is the app store. Apps either lack quality, haven't been updated or just aren't there. And since my phone isn't win10 comparable I probably won't stay with it very long.
I'm searching to see if the app experience is any better on devices that have the win10 dev preview on them but haven't found a good answer. Because I sure would buy a newer phone if the app experience is better.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When your contract at Sprint is up, come on over to the GSM side. The selection of phones really opens up. Especially if you bargain hunt and favor Factory Unlocked devices.

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I probably will leave sprint when my contract is up. Supposedly they are doing away with contracts in January and doing purchase installments like everybody else. They don't even offer a new WP anymore and it doesn't look like they'll be getting one anytime soon. My only option to get wp10 at this point on sprint is to buy a used 635 from somewhere.
The 640 is on sale for $60 new as an at&t go phone right now. If my contract with sprint was up I'd already have one.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. We can do our best to help you with your app situation if you like. Just ask about "what's best for..." and tell us what it is you want to do. Not every app is the same app on WP, but you'd be surprised how much of the functionality is actually available. The big grind for a lot of people are banking apps, snapchat, etc. where you have to have a specific app. However, if you're just needing YouTube or something like that, we've got better alternatives than is on Android, actually.

While you have to settle for 3rd party alternatives to a lot of apps, and some of those 3rd party's aren't up to snuff, you'd be surprised at how many of them offer better services than the first party counterpart on other platforms. Not all, but quite a few do.

To answer your question about Windows 10 Mobile. It does NOT yet address the app shortage. There aren't more apps just because it's Windows 10.

However, once Windows 10 Mobile is out, and once Project Islandwood is in widespread use, we expect some good quality apps hitting within the next year. Yes, I said within the next year. Don't expect all the apps to come flooding in within 6 months. It will be a slow trickle at first, and as those test the waters, as it does better and better more will start to follow. This is my opinion, at least, and what I personally expect will most likely happen and is based on nothing more than my gut. Take it all with a grain of salt.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! Nice choice of device. My first Windows phone was almost the 8X, gorgeous device. Interesting screenname. What kind of off-roading? Sold my 4x4 atv last year, still do the Jeep in the woods thing.

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I probably will leave sprint when my contract is up. Supposedly they are doing away with contracts in January and doing purchase installments like everybody else. They don't even offer a new WP anymore and it doesn't look like they'll be getting one anytime soon. My only option to get wp10 at this point on sprint is to buy a used 635 from somewhere.
The 640 is on sale for $60 new as an at&t go phone right now. If my contract with sprint was up I'd already have one.

I left Sprint after 10yrs the day ATT released the Nokia Lumia 920 and couldn't be happier.

Welcome and hope windows phone grows on you

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I used offroadjunkie because it's my .live email address. It's my email address because I love offroading and I'm a recovering drug addict from way back in the day. Currently I kick up mud in my 1990 ford bronco that is a work in progress. It's my 2nd bronco but I've had Cherokees and Toyotas throughout the years.

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
The app that I need the most help with is google plus. I haven't found an app in the store that works very well. I'm using gplus at the moment but it has very limited functionality, its slow and the time line is off. I also have an i.e. page pinned to the start screen with my g+ opened to the mobile web page and that has very limited functionality as well.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The app that I need the most help with is google plus. I haven't found an app in the store that works very well. I'm using gplus at the moment but it has very limited functionality, its slow and the time line is off. I also have an i.e. page pinned to the start screen with my g+ opened to the mobile web page and that has very limited functionality as well.

If you're deep into the Google ecosystem, you will indeed have lots of headaches. If you can, it's best to find replacements wherever you can. Of course, replacing those services with Microsoft services is your best bet.

offroadjunkie

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm not deep in the ecosystem, I just prefer g+ over facebook. Otherwise I keep all my pics and vids on my SD card. I've just been on g+ for 3-4 years and hate to give it up.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I used offroadjunkie because it's my .live email address. It's my email address because I love offroading and I'm a recovering drug addict from way back in the day. Currently I kick up mud in my 1990 ford bronco that is a work in progress. It's my 2nd bronco but I've had Cherokees and Toyotas throughout the years.

Wheeling is a great hobby to stay busy and positive, and to empty the pockets on. Good fun. Enjoy that full-size beast.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the introduction and the other comments. A coworker of mine had a Bronco and we had fun going offroading in that vehicle back in the 90s :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon