Hi! Been here a while but forgot to intro...

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I've been around for a bit, but realized I hadn't said Hi on here officially.

I've been on the CrackBerry side of Mobile Nation for quite a while - and started migrating this way in August when I finally got tired of the end of life non-support on my BlackBerry PlayBook. Loved that thing - great speakers, great "bones" but BBRY pulling the plug on running BB10 on it, and EOL'ing it a year ago - stuff slowly quit working (software wise, the tablet itself worked great). So, I got tired enough to go pick up an HP Stream 7 on sale - and really REALLY enjoyed the 8 experience ON A TABLET (was not happy with it on the non-touchscreen computers I service for others)

I kept playing with it, upgraded it to 10, and really like 10. So, my old Z10 started eating battery life even more than it always did (they were never known for battery life, except for not having any in the first place) I got to 4 hour life and decided it was time to start shopping for a new phone.
I'd been looking at the Lumia 640s, and finally pulled the trigger about a month ago. Very happy with the decision. 2 day battery life, and it does pretty much anything the Z10 can do (with only 1 major thing that I have yet to figure out... and I sincerely hope MSFT gets it sorted out ASAP) - that being - reading texts and emails to you on the fly. I can write - but getting them read is a problem so far.

Meanwhile, everything else works and works pretty well.

Out in the world: I work for a manufacturing company handling specifications and the like all day. Evenings, I teach automation technologies at a local college. I run a side business doing computer work for people. And I work with distributed communication in industry so making things talk to each other is what I do.

I'm an old computer geek who started with an Atari 2600 (before they were called that) and have had Commodores, Sinclairs, Amigas, Apples, PCs, CPM machines, etc etc etc ad nauseum. One of my favorite road warrior devices ever was my old HP 100LX palmtop computer. That thing was so amazing, and then MSFT came along and wrecked them for a lot of years with CE / WM ... I was so excited when I got my tablet that it was "full version Windows" and not RT - I've dealt with enough WM type crap. Now if their hype about the phones is as good. W10M isn't bad at all... I do wish it could do a few more tricks - and am really looking forward to where they are going.

Anyway, enough rambling, just wanted to say HI.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the board... Glad you are migrating this way instead of rebounding into what is omni-present.

OK, get your 640 out and unlock it. Open Cortana > Hamburger (≡) > settings > speech settings > "read aloud incoming text messages" can be toggled. That solves part of the wish list.

Hope that helps a bit.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Looks like RumoredNow beat me to helping you with reading text messages.

Welcome. I'm an old tech dog myself, and also played with all those things you mentioned. Played with IBM mainframes first, then other stuff. I even had a TI-99/4A.

Enjoy your new gear. I know I'm enjoying my 640.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central, and thanks for the great introduction! I too got started on ZX Sinclair and a Commodore so that was a great tidbit to find out about you:)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello Pirate, happy to hear that you're coming our way or better yet that you're already here :D Did the solution RumoredNow provided work out for ya?

Paisley Pirate

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Giving that new setting a try.

Most of my correspondence is emails - so it doesn't look like it'll help there.... but all the back and forth with the wife and kid... yes indeed.

Thanks for all greetings!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos