Physical Shutter Demo from ViziLeaks

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
sorry, my but, I meant shutter.

But actually it's NOT a mechanical shooter, at least not one like DSLR lens have... It's just a ON/OFF shutter to close the lens (or open), not providing variable apertures. It seems EOS will continue having a fixed aperture.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

But actually it's NOT a mechanical shooter, at least not one like DSLR lens have... It's just a ON/OFF shutter to close the lens (or open), not providing variable apertures. It seems EOS will continue having a fixed aperture.
A shutter and an aperture are two different things. If you look at a DSLR, the aperture is set inside the lens (different lenses have different apertures), while the shutter remains in the body. One varies the amount of light coming in, and the other is an "on/off" for whether that light is allowed in.

Myself, I'm not convinced that what we see is a shutter, but we shall see.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The more I look at this, it isn't a shutter at all. It's a lens cap. It starts out closed, protecting the lens, then it opens, you can see the lens focusing, it probably takes a picture, then it closes. It's there for protection.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at this, it isn't a shutter at all. It's a lens cap. It starts out closed, protecting the lens, then it opens, you can see the lens focusing, it probably takes a picture, then it closes. It's there for protection.

Most lens caps cover all the glass though. Why cover the internal lens but keep the "protective" glass exposed? The protective glass is there to keep the lens from being scratched and seal the camera. If it's an electronic shutter, then it doesn't need an additional cover correct?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

I think you are confused. DSLRs have mechanical shutters. They do not have built in apertures. That's what the lenses do. They house an internal aperture. That's why each lens can have different aperture sizes.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it is indeed a shutter since is it open and closes .When closed no light is passing through and moreover it is mechanical not electronic as I understand which can give precise shots.

I don't think it is for protection.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It is shutter for sure. Why would simple lens cover need to close that fast :wink: Mechanical shutter should give more blur free photos. This can be very useful in low light conditions.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Shutters are usually located behind the lens, close to the sensor. I don't know what this is but I don't think it's a shutter.

Then again you never know what Nokia has up their sleeve

Juanma Herrera

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Could it be that this big bump hides mechanism, which can change aperture?

I don't think so, but actually I think it's not necessary since depth of field in such a small sensor (not that small, I know) is quite big, and increasing ISO level (if we close aperture) produces more noisy pics. Furthermore, difraction is another factor to allow for. I think in this kind of sensor, the widest aperture lens we have, the best results it will produce. I hope EOS to have f2.0 lens, but It's not easy because it would need a lot of room I think. Probably f2.4 like 808 does...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos