The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    06-07-2013 06:49 AM
    Ooh i am excited :)
    06-07-2013 06:54 AM
    This is very exciting. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
    06-07-2013 07:06 AM
    Which is the physical shooter purpose?

Does it means anything about including ND filter or OIS?
    06-07-2013 07:19 AM
    Which is the physical shooter purpose?

Does it means anything about including ND filter or OIS?
    I think you mean Physical Shutter ..

It is a commonplace in DSLR cameras here is an article I found while Googling

Why Digital Cameras Have Mechanical Shutters

The leaks earlier tell that it has OIS and I hope other modes like HDR, long duration shots etc also make it to this
    06-07-2013 08:31 AM
    sorry, my but, I meant shutter.

But actually it's NOT a mechanical shooter, at least not one like DSLR lens have... It's just a ON/OFF shutter to close the lens (or open), not providing variable apertures. It seems EOS will continue having a fixed aperture.
    06-07-2013 09:16 AM

But actually it's NOT a mechanical shooter, at least not one like DSLR lens have... It's just a ON/OFF shutter to close the lens (or open), not providing variable apertures. It seems EOS will continue having a fixed aperture.
    A shutter and an aperture are two different things. If you look at a DSLR, the aperture is set inside the lens (different lenses have different apertures), while the shutter remains in the body. One varies the amount of light coming in, and the other is an "on/off" for whether that light is allowed in.

Myself, I'm not convinced that what we see is a shutter, but we shall see.
    06-07-2013 12:02 PM
    The more I look at this, it isn't a shutter at all. It's a lens cap. It starts out closed, protecting the lens, then it opens, you can see the lens focusing, it probably takes a picture, then it closes. It's there for protection.
    06-07-2013 12:07 PM
    The more I look at this, it isn't a shutter at all. It's a lens cap. It starts out closed, protecting the lens, then it opens, you can see the lens focusing, it probably takes a picture, then it closes. It's there for protection.
    Most lens caps cover all the glass though. Why cover the internal lens but keep the "protective" glass exposed? The protective glass is there to keep the lens from being scratched and seal the camera. If it's an electronic shutter, then it doesn't need an additional cover correct?
    06-07-2013 12:15 PM

I think you are confused. DSLRs have mechanical shutters. They do not have built in apertures. That's what the lenses do. They house an internal aperture. That's why each lens can have different aperture sizes.
    tissotti likes this.
    06-07-2013 12:18 PM
    I think it is indeed a shutter since is it open and closes .When closed no light is passing through and moreover it is mechanical not electronic as I understand which can give precise shots.

I don't think it is for protection.
    06-07-2013 12:48 PM
    and dare I say with minimal camera knowledge it is a leaf shutter :D
    06-07-2013 12:48 PM
    It is shutter for sure. Why would simple lens cover need to close that fast Mechanical shutter should give more blur free photos. This can be very useful in low light conditions.
    06-07-2013 04:19 PM
    Shutters are usually located behind the lens, close to the sensor. I don't know what this is but I don't think it's a shutter.

Then again you never know what Nokia has up their sleeve
    06-07-2013 04:31 PM
    Shutters are usually located behind the lens, close to the sensor. I don't know what this is but I don't think it's a shutter.

Then again you never know what Nokia has up their sleeve
    Indeed focal-plane lenses usually do especially with interchangeable lens cameras. However a between-the-lens is a possibility...

http://m.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-d...a-shutters.htm
    06-07-2013 04:39 PM
    Could it be that this big bump hides mechanism, which can change aperture?
    06-08-2013 02:56 AM
    Could it be that this big bump hides mechanism, which can change aperture?
    I don't think so, but actually I think it's not necessary since depth of field in such a small sensor (not that small, I know) is quite big, and increasing ISO level (if we close aperture) produces more noisy pics. Furthermore, difraction is another factor to allow for. I think in this kind of sensor, the widest aperture lens we have, the best results it will produce. I hope EOS to have f2.0 lens, but It's not easy because it would need a lot of room I think. Probably f2.4 like 808 does...
    Last edited by Juanma Herrera; 06-08-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    06-08-2013 04:19 AM