How will the competition counter the EOS?

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I doubt there will be a counter needed. Nokia has found a tiny niche market for people who desired a camera that could be used as a phone. Personally at that point. I'd rather get a Nokia 520, and use the rest of the money to buy a rather nice dedicated camera. So yeah... I bet the 909 will have the SoC that the 92x series has. The only selling point the Pureview ever had was the camera.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has already placed their bet on a phone with decent megapixel count and an optical zoom. Honestly I think that is more interesting for the amateur phone-photographer than a mega-megapixel with only digital zoom. Both will be niche markets. But then for me the camera is the least important feature of my phone, so maybe I am the niche :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It will be interested in what they plan to do. The original iphone and mid 2000 Blackberrys raised the bar for what a camera phone should be. The The GIII has a nice camera and software to go along with it. I am interested in what Apple will do in there next iphone. I believe it will be on par with the Lumia 920 with low light photos. I can not wait for my upgrade in November, I will probably wait until 2014 to get another phone as my Lumia 920 does the perfect job for me. :)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has already placed their bet on a phone with decent megapixel count and an optical zoom. Honestly I think that is more interesting for the amateur phone-photographer than a mega-megapixel with only digital zoom. Both will be niche markets. But then for me the camera is the least important feature of my phone, so maybe I am the niche :)

you need to do some research, that "mega-mega pixel" with its faux zoom doesn't do "digital zoom".

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt the EOS is supposed to compete with high-end devices. It is just like the 808, a niche device for photo buffs. I doubt nokia planned on selling loads of 808s and i doubt they plan on getting a tone of money form the EOS. Specs really don't matter! This device is all about the camera as far as we know and that's it.

They plan on selling it subsidized on one of the biggest carrier networks in the world, which means that it will have a proper advertising campaign, and everything that goes along with that. The 808 never got that kind of attention, nowhere near.. so comparing the two in those terms is impossible.

The 808 was "niche" because it was expensive, and the software it runs was declared "dead".. whatever that means.. so only people that knew exactly what they want went and got one. Most people in the US don't even know that such technology exists.. the 909/1020 will change that.. there is a huge difference.

With the Sony i1 Honami. Rumored to have a 20MP camera.

I thought so as well, but... no xenon flash as far as I know, which puts it in the "no contest" category for me.

RSB54

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
you need to do some research, that "mega-mega pixel" with its faux zoom doesn't do "digital zoom".
Hmm, so you are saying the Lumia EOS has an optical zoom? I've not seen any rumors on magnification (Samsung's has 10x). If so I will stand corrected, as I said photography is not what I look for in a phone. A "good" camera is good enough for me.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, so you are saying the Lumia EOS has an optical zoom? I've not seen any rumors on magnification (Samsung's has 10x). If so I will stand corrected, as I said photography is not what I look for in a phone. A "good" camera is good enough for me.

I should've went into detail. Also I think I was slightly off in understanding what you meant. I meant that you can essentially zoom into a photo when cropped taken at 41mp. Because of the higher pixel count, no loss in detail is observed.

I believe you meant before taking a picture and zooming in, in that case it is digital but you get better results when you crop.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I should've went into detail. Also I think I was slightly off in understanding what you meant. I meant that you can essentially zoom into a photo when cropped taken at 41mp. Because of the higher pixel count, no loss in detail is observed.

I believe you meant before taking a picture and zooming in, in that case it is digital but you get better results when you crop.

What you want is downsampling, not cropping. You get 38Mp which you want to downsample to about 5-8mp for best results, the 38 Mp gets interesting when in need of massive digital zoom, but don't expect great photos when that is being used (it will still look grainy/noisy as hell when in 100% mode), also instead of letting the phone firmware handle the downsampling you can save the 38Mp picture and use Lightroom or other software instead for that, eitherway the resulting picture 5Mp picture will always outperform the 5Mp picture of a 8Mp Phone.
The Sensor is 41Mp but it's only using 38Mp (7152 x 5368 pixels) for 4:3, and 34Mp (7728x4354) for 16:9, that is if it's really the same sensor as on the PureView 808, but hopefully the new Lumia also comes with OIS and low light improvements, which would make the new Lumia really be the phone if you want one that does the best images currently possible on such a device.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
How will the competition counter EOS?
1. by putting up an R&D near Nokias headquarters to steal secrets or engineers
2. try to take over nokia to get the tech
3. pass it off as a fad by a massive smear job using apple and android sites to marginalize EOS mindshare.
4. ignore it so people don't know there's even such a thing as a 41mp phone.
100. and lastly but probably most unlikely - innovate so they can create something better.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
What you want is downsampling, not cropping. You get 38Mp which you want to downsample to about 5-8mp for best results, the 38 Mp gets interesting when in need of massive digital zoom, but don't expect great photos when that is being used (it will still look grainy/noisy as hell when in 100% mode), also instead of letting the phone firmware handle the downsampling you can save the 38Mp picture and use Lightroom or other software instead for that, eitherway the resulting picture 5Mp picture will always outperform the 5Mp picture of a 8Mp Phone.
The Sensor is 41Mp but it's only using 38Mp (7152 x 5368 pixels) for 4:3, and 34Mp (7728x4354) for 16:9, that is if it's really the same sensor as on the PureView 808, but hopefully the new Lumia also comes with OIS and low light improvements, which would make the new Lumia really be the phone if you want one that does the best images currently possible on such a device.

Thx alot for clarification, I am definitely getting this phone, only Nokia puts that type of dedication into a platform. Go Nokia!!!

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Or just put some competent specs and not firewall yourself and take it up the *** from AT&T.

Sony Honami Reputed Specs:

*SCREEN = 5" Triluminous LCD Display (Used in 2013 Bravia TVs with quantum dots over regular RGB)

*HARDWARE = 2.3GHZ Qualcomm Snapdraggon 800 CPU chip , Adreno 330 GPU , 2GB Ram & 16/32GB Internal Memory with SD card upto 64GB expansion.

*BATTERY = 3000 Mah with Stamina Mode

*CAMERA = Camera 20 megapixel 1/1, 5 inch Exmor R (Same as Sony REX II), 4K Video Recording , Bionz Image Processor Mobile , Integrated Lens G lens , F2.0 aperture , SteadyShot Image Stabilization , ISO 50-12800 , Cybershot UI with Multiple features.

*SOUND = Separate audio processor chip , such as Walkman S-Master MX , 5.1 Support , Stereo speakers magnet technology Bravia liquid (Still in rumour stage , to be confirmed).

*BUILD = Waterproof , Dustproof with IP58 certification , 9mm thickness , uses Aluminium , Glass & Iron frame!

If this phone comes out before september, good game Nokia. Ditching my 920 for this beast. And it probably wont be a ridiculous $299 on contract price.

How will the competition counter EOS?
1. by putting up an R&D near Nokias headquarters to steal secrets or engineers
2. try to take over nokia to get the tech
3. pass it off as a fad by a massive smear job using apple and android sites to marginalize EOS mindshare.
4. ignore it so people don't know there's even such a thing as a 41mp phone.
100. and lastly but probably most unlikely - innovate so they can create something better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo