EOS most important feature - RAM

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No need.. the Symbian version does it on really slow 512 RAM

In that case I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because there is no other reason for the EOS to get bumped up to 2 GB at this time.

For all I know, the 2 GB limit could just be a false rumour, but if it isn't, then the camera has something to do with it.

P.S. The image processor on the 808 certainly has its own generous helping of dedicated memory. Only when it was done would it transfer the results to those 512 MB of system RAM.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I think this is supposed to be a new Flagship device until 8.1 so they are putting enough RAM to match the high end Androids. Heck, even Blackberry has 2 GB devices. If anything, it looks a lot better on the spec sheet.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Didn't that one have a secondary processor strictly for the camera though? I may be wrong.

You are right, but I am not sure how the extra GPU helps the RAM..

P.S. The image processor on the 808 certainly has its own generous helping of dedicated memory. Only when it was done would it transfer the results to those 512 MB of system RAM.

Unless the 1020 has the Snap 800, and that alone is enough for the oversampling and the mpix count.. I think they might have done the same thing again and have that extra custom GPU built into the camera module.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Not worthy of it's own thread, but I found it interesting that Gorilla Glass 3 is being used. I think the 925 and 928 screens are Gorilla Glass 2 making me believe this is the first Windows Phone with Corning's current most advanced glass.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Not worthy of it's own thread, but I found it interesting that Gorilla Glass 3 is being used. I think the 925 and 928 screens are Gorilla Glass 2 making me believe this is the first Windows Phone with Corning's current most advanced glass.

I think they had to since this is using the 2.5 D display. IIRC N9/L800's were a bit fragile b/c of it but looked so much better. Might also explain it being a bit larger than a L920?. Anyways, so in LOVE with these camera specs. Thank you Nokia! <3 Truly made my day :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The image processor on the 808 certainly has its own generous helping of dedicated memory. Only when it was done would it transfer the results to those 512 MB of system RAM.
Unless the 1020 has the Snap 800, and that alone is enough for the oversampling and the mpix count.. I think they might have done the same thing again and have that extra custom GPU built into the camera module.

Hey vlad.

In regard to how Nokia went about processing those high resolution images, it seems none of us guessed correctly! The L1020 doesn't use a Snapdragon 800 (which never was realistic), nor did Nokia integrate a separate image processor as they did for the 808, nor did they scale back to a 20 MP sensor which the SoC could have handled. :wink:

Brian Klug from Anandtech asked the same question we've been asking, but he's got an answer:

"Obviously the MSM8960 is only specced for up to 20 MP camera support, Nokia’s secret sauce is making this silicon support 41 MP and the PureView features (oversampling, subsampling, lossless on the fly zoom) through collaboration with Qualcomm and rewriting the entire imaging stack themselves."

Basically, Nokia was able to circumvent Qualcomm's hardware ISP and replaced it with their own software based solution (likely heavily DSP and GPU based).

That also explains how that extra GB of RAM fits in with all of this. If it is the SoC that processes the raw data coming off the image sensor, then the extra memory capacity required to hold all that raw image data must be accessible by the SoC, meaning RAM expansion is the only option. At least I was correct with that prediction.
:smile:

Last edited:

willysocks2222

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
just need better coding for apps, to me that's what makes an OS more enjoyable

the 2gb RAM imo is mostly for the camera to capture a 38 and 5mp photo at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital