08-28-2013 04:25 PM
110 12345
tools
    Some people said the Galaxy Note would never sell, but Samsung sold 5 million of that.
    07-11-2013 10:03 PM
    I come at it from this angle... Let's not forget that the iPhone is selling at 199 for a 16GB model. If you opt for the 32GB option (which the 920 and 1020 come with already) then the price jumps to... 299, same as the 1020. I'll admit it's a hard sell against anyone who paid 99 or less on-contract for their Lumia 920, but if you compare it to directly to the competing iPhone or GS4 (32GB @ 249), it's not priced too terribly. There are those that will argue that it's a skinnier 920 without Qi charging and a giant camera sensor slapped onto it; it's not a 920 successor, and it's not like the competition don't celebrate evolution like a slimmer body as "revolutionary innovation" anyway.
    Yes it is, because you're comparing it to an iPhone. It's like saying the $50,000 BMW has the same specs as a $50,000 Kia so that means the Kia is fairly priced. A name brand is a big deal and while us as nerds know the name iPhone is nothing special, the people Nokia are trying to sell the 1020 to don't see it that way. You have to earn the right to price your stuff like an iPhone and expect it to sell. Samsung had earned that reputation but Nokia hasn't. It's a big reason why HTC is hurting so much too. You aren't Apple or Samsung so don't expect people to pay the same price, even if it does have a super cancer hump for a camera on its back.
    07-11-2013 10:05 PM
    Some people said the Galaxy Note would never sell, but Samsung sold 5 million of that.
    The Note was still a Samsung product in an Android ecosystem. This is more of the same in an unpopular ecosystem with a rediculous price.
    07-11-2013 10:11 PM
    I agree that the price point is a problem. The idea is to gain mindshare AND market share. If priced at $99 it would have made a serious impact. As it is, I don't see the 1020 selling well in almost any context.
    07-11-2013 10:31 PM
    Is the price really that bad? You aren't going to go into an electronics store and get any other 41MP camera for that price. And if you compare it to a similar iPhone 5, it sure looks like a good deal to me:
    Lumia 1020 (32GB) vs. iPhone 5 (32GB)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Price (2-year contract): $299 vs. $299
    Camera: 41MP vs. 8MP
    Screen: 4.5" vs. 4"
    Resolution: 1020x768; 334ppi vs. 1136x640; 326ppi
    RAM: 2 GB vs. 1GB
    Halo - Spartan Assault: Has vs. Doesn't Have
    ninjaap and Mach_E like this.
    07-11-2013 11:04 PM
    a good photographer? What's a good photographer? You mean someone who aspires to take better camera phone images. Think I'll spend the dollars on a 40mm macro lens and ring flash for my D7000.
    Yeah, sorry i only recently woke up when i posted that.

I'm considering getting one, as it would replace my need to get a Dedicated Camera.
    07-11-2013 11:07 PM
    Why wont people move on to the phone with the accepted best smartphone camera now, the 920? And do you really think Nokia's future hinges on this one device? The 925, 928 & 920 are still there for those who cant afford the 1020 and later on this year will be phones with upgraded specs apart from the camera which will still be the selling point of the 1020. So Nokia will be fine. Why does everyone believe MS buying Nokia is some magic bullet to solve everything?
    I agree with everything you said BUT don't forget the annoying idea that hopeless android fans believe: Nokia making a Android device is the magic bullet to taking over the mobile space.
    07-12-2013 12:12 AM
    I hate people who think Nokia is going to be the next Samsung if they go Android.

They need to realise that they'll lose a lot of funding from Microsoft, they'll lose a lot of basically everything if they go android.
    Dazzi and Cellus13 like this.
    07-12-2013 12:45 AM
    I agree with everything you said BUT don't forget the annoying idea that hopeless android fans believe: Nokia making a Android device is the magic bullet to taking over the mobile space.
    Gosh darnit, they're right. It would be a magic bullet!

Just like HTC, Nokia would also be forced to split their resources amongst two completely different operating systems and ecosystems, with very limited potential for synergies. Just like HTC, Nokia also doesn't have the money to double their OS, firmware, hardware and app-development R&D staff, so their only option is to split the existing teams down the middle, thereby severely stalling WP development, while barely getting Android development off the ground. Worse, the Android team must build up their expertise from scratch, in a hopeless attempt to catch up to their Android competition which has had a multiple year head start.

Yes. A magical bullet indeed. They would shoot their corporate feet out from under themselves, no matter how the gun is fired. Or worse.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-12-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Edited last line
    Cellus13 and Mach_E like this.
    07-12-2013 12:45 AM
    More like shooting themselves in the chest.
    Cellus13, a5cent, Jaripi and 1 others like this.
    07-12-2013 12:52 AM
    Is the price really that bad? You aren't going to go into an electronics store and get any other 41MP camera for that price. And if you compare it to a similar iPhone 5, it sure looks like a good deal to me:
    Isn't the 1020 resolution 720p?
    07-12-2013 01:26 AM
    Also i wouldn't add the option of: Halo: Spartan Assault: Has vs Doesn't Have.

Replace it with Xbox Games: Has vs Doesn't Have instead.
    07-12-2013 02:16 AM
    This announcement of the Lumia 1020 got me excited for Windows Phone and Nokia. I can't purchase the phone because Im in Australia and I barely got to properly enjoy my NLumia 920 and Surface Pro combination. However, You r right bout the pricing...It makes sense that the price is high but I do believe that the number '41' at the back does justify that pricing: a DSLR in your pocket! My Canon EOS 550D costed like $700 and its heavy and hard to handle and I NEVER seem to have it at the right time.

I believe that Nokia is going for the hardcore artists with this phone and its pricing, but I also believe that this is not the right time for this hardcore experiment: Nokia is struggling. I know that Nokia is keen to strut its stuff with some big numbers and innovations but AT LEAST, sell a phone alongside the 1020 that is $99 in US, like the 820 to the 920. The Nokia 10xx(whatever NK calls it) can have the gimmicks, but lose the 41 shooter and opt for a 16mp with 6 lenses watever or something to keep up with Sammy's number game with 13mp on their s4 (like it or not, megapixel counts does matter to the dumb 95% of the consumers), this phone can be lighter at like 133g and have a aluminium & polycarbonate combination.

Did my imagined phone sound familiar? It should be, and that leads to my next point. Nokia could have waited a few weeks later to announce the 925 (928 maybe) alongside the 1020 as a trio, if you think bout it, the 925 makes a perfect bridge from 920 to 1020, it is the first to have the six lenses and a new design that all people love, it has the low-light abilities that partiers love and a great AMOLED screen. The 928 was enough as a international reboot for Windows Phone; it was just a upgraded 920.
    07-12-2013 02:35 AM
    I have two points to make. As an Australian, I get things months after half the world, so its not a happy life for a guy who just likes every gadget he has to be brand new. I think Nokia made a hell of a phone here and its price is fully justified: A DSLR grade shooter in your pocket! It brings a whole new meaning to the saying: 'The best camera is the one you have with you.' If a measly tiny shooter is the best...I cant live. Speaking of DSLRs, I do have a Canon EOS 550D, but it never seems to appear when amazing things happen. However, I also believe that Nokia is not going for the casual audience with this beast: a bad move for a struggling company who I hate to see die and a bad move for a misunderstood OS that I fell in love with barely a year ago. I know that Nokia is keen to strut its stuff with big numbers and innovations that it still manages to create, but AT LEAST, release a more mainstream phone for an average guy/girl on the street, who likes taking selfies that does not allow zooming into all his/her various imperfections.

The phone that should have being announced alongside the 1020 needs some powerful but more modest premium feel to it, it should come cheap at $99 US (I don't know what ur US paying methods is, so I just guess) on contract, it can have all the usual gimmicks the 1020 have, but lose 41 beast and just put a more simple 16 mp in there without all the loseless zooming and dual-resolution jargon that consumers normally don't care bout. I said 16 because I know megapixel counts does matter to 95% of the consumers, and 16 beats the 13 Sammy had crunched in the S4 (and then theres the **** xoom or zoom: just a cheap dslr strapped to a phone). It should have a thin and light form, with a combination of aluminium and polycarbonate design, weighing like 133g.

Does this sound familiar? It should be; which leads to my next point. The Lumia 925 should have waited a few more weeks and be announced with the 1020 with a different name (1005 or something); like the 820 to the 920. It makes sense because the 925 acts just like a bridge from the 920 to the 1020: It upgrade the camera lenses from 5 to 6, it improved the software aspects with new apps, and it appeals to the mass market with its design and weight. The 1020 and 925 just feels...right as a couple, while the 720, 520 and the 928 as a trio for April made more sense to treat the world while they waited. In Australia, my point makes even more sense: The availability day of the 925 is like July 27: EXACT date as the 1020's anyway. So now that 1020 is announced: the 925 sound like a oldie so out of the equation altogether for tech-savvy Aussies. If the 1020 was announced with the 925; its a whole different story.

So Nokia, a understandable but bad choice of marketing and product announcements, in fact, I still think the next generation of Lumias should have been announced much later than this: Windows Phone 8.1 any1?
    LMZR likes this.
    07-12-2013 03:10 AM
    Also i wouldn't add the option of: Halo: Spartan Assault: Has vs Doesn't Have.

Replace it with Xbox Games: Has vs Doesn't Have instead.
    That part was just kind of a joke. That said, I do think the Xbox Games on Windows Phone is a huge selling point. Microsoft should absolutely not release any more Xbox games for iOS and Android (there are a few, like Kinectimals and the upcoming Age of Empires). Doing so is undermining a big selling point: exclusive Xbox games on your phone. I cannot count the number of times that my friends have seen me whip out my Lumia 928, open the Xbox games app and say, "Whoa! You have Xbox games on there!" Fast forward a week and now I'm playing against them in Skulls of the Shogun (them on their Xbox 360s and me on my Windows Phone) and they're all now intrigued with Windows Phone. Microsoft really needs to be marketing this part better, and they also need to get better at getting more of those XBLA games over with cross-platform play (e.g., Carcassonne was a big hit on Xbox 360 and it should've been set up for cross-platform online play of the Windows Phone version too).
    dgr_874 likes this.
    07-12-2013 03:16 AM
    do you seriously think Nokia/WP can sell like modern iOS device for the same price? Yes we all know that 1020 is a bit more capable device but explain that to zillion of Apple sheep who will just laugh when they see the price is same...
    07-12-2013 04:27 AM
    Why do the Androidian s-stirrers bother coming here along with others to talk about it? It's not really that unpopular if they stop by here....or does it just say something about about what pathetic jack***ses they are while proving their assinine theories wrong
    07-12-2013 07:37 AM
    I think folks are missing something here. This $299 price seems to be At&t walking back all this subsidies for some of these phones. It's starting to look like the big subsidy game is coming to an end. I think it's a test run to see if it can indeed sell for this price. If not At&t will lower the price to make sure it cleans out stock. Seems to be a test run of sorts in my eyes, I don't think something this weak especially compared to other phones can just all of a sudden go for this price point. Other than the massively improved camera it offers nothing new and substantial to the game. The specs are also starting to wear on some people, and I see a lot more spec reading people now because of the way a lot of android phones ran like crap on some hardware.
    07-12-2013 08:39 AM
    Yah i agree, if this was at the $199 price point it would be a competitor bought at this price point no way.

Honestly i am starting to get real bummed out at this point about windows phone. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Agreed. Hardware will only take WP so far and right now it's not the hardware that is holding it back. I can't believe we have to wait until 2014 for an upgrade that will finally bring unified notifications. You ask anybody why they don't like WP and it's because it still can't do things that should be a staple for all modern mobile OS's. If Ubuntu gets released with more functionality than WP I may jump ship(to where? I don't know) because at that point the wirting will defintitely be on the wall for MS.
    07-12-2013 08:48 AM
    100% buying this in November or December dont want to buy a launch model cause of the defects, but the phone has its strong points. Its something different which is what most people want, if your a tech savy guy you will know that the 1020 is a brilliant device.
    07-12-2013 08:53 AM
    100% buying this in November or December dont want to buy a launch model cause of the defects, but the phone has its strong points. Its something different which is what most people want, if your a tech savy guy you will know that the 1020 is a brilliant device.
    in November or December you might be seeing the real flagship as this is just a stopgap by all i'm seeing.
    07-12-2013 08:57 AM
    At the very minimum they should be including the camera shell and wireless charging back-plate for that $299. The wireless charging is just plastic with a metal coil embedded and probably costs Nokia $3, the camera shell most likely under $15.
    07-12-2013 09:14 AM
    But you're still comparing incorrectly. Let me put this in a different perspective.

In the "online streaming world" Netflix seems to be king, with Hulu and Amazon right behind them. Let's say a new company starting streaming content - only they had 1/3 as much as everyone else for the same price. Why would you "switch" or join that "new" company when you can get more for the same money?

The only way the "new" company could get you to check it out, is if it offered its product at a very cheap price.

Apple and Google have built up massive ecosystems that people are tied in to. In order to convince them to "give that up", there HAS to be an incentive. The 41mp camera IS an incentive, a big one - but NOT at $299. My point is that if they had just taken a small loss here, you could've had huge adoption of the platform. At $99 on contract with the free pro grip, you have MILLIONS of NEW WP8 users. Instead, at $299, you've got, I dunno, maybe a few hundred thousand throughout the world? And most of those will probably be people already in the Windows Phone world.

The idea here is to gain marketshare, not stick with the 5% you have now.

People seem to forgot how aggresive Nokia was with their Lumia 900 launch - it shocked people how great of a deal it was when it launched. And THAT didn't sell that well. So they think the answer is to go super expensive? WTF?
    07-12-2013 09:14 AM
    Lol at people complaining that they can pay $300.00 for a phone. Geez.
    07-12-2013 09:20 AM
    reading some of the comments since I last posted on pricing reminded me of a very interesting point that a instructor of one of my previous job's boss brought in said (product manager class)

my instructor was coaching a nail polish company on selling their products, they had a really good nail polish line that they decided to sell at low price to beat the market (apparently these polishes are as good as if not better then the high end ones... don't ask me i don't know what high end nail polish means....) but they didn't sell at all, after a month they brought the instructor in and he asked them to raise the price to comparable price to other high end nail polish without doing anything else (such as rebranding/marketting/etc) and they sold out of all those nail polish that were sitting in the warehouse within a week

What he basically told us was the fact that having a cheap price doesn't mean it will sell the product, sometimes it will actually be seen as a negative

So here is my perspective after remembering this class, we are techies, we know good tech from bad tech, but for the regular joes they evaluate products based on their own knowledge and a big easy "spec" that helps a lot of the time and that is the price, usually a higher priced product "should" be better than the ones lower it (i know it isn't really that way, but that's how many people buy things) So if a 32GB L1020 sells lower than the 32GB iphone5 its easy to make the assumption that the L1020 doesn't work as well as the iphone

now I know this might sound strange, but pricing a product isn't as simple as some of us may think, cheaper != easier to sell sometimes, cheaper is always easier to sell after the original price is high though, (part of the reason why some retailer deliberately post a high regular price then cut it in half to con buyers into thinking it's much cheaper now and they are getting a great deal....)

another point would be that Nokia is trying to get a product at every price point, and I guess this is the ceiling of that
    ninjaap, svenhassel and Mach_E like this.
    07-12-2013 10:59 AM
110 12345