Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

paint_guru

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
My mom just got the 8.1 update pushed to her 1020 and her microphone doesn't seem to be working. Voice to text, speakerphone, etc. are all not responding. I looked around and saw some mentions of this from the developer preview with no obvious fixes, but this was the official release. Anyone else having this issue?

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since 8.1 been having a few issues with my 1020. Woke up this morning and it had frozen again, this has now happened 3 times in the last few weeks. I've just done a soft reset but now the battery is dead. DIdn't know the command for it before and had to wait until the battery died to get to use it again.

Phone has been really slow since 8.1, lots of 'Resuming...' Not happy at all. Only 9 months into a 2 year contract, not sure what to do. Can't deal with it for the remainder of the contract that's for sure. Hoping the full version of 8.1 and Lumia Cyan cure it. I love WP, but not sure I'd go for another high end model on an expensive contract to have it be constantly slow. Previously had a 720 and it only slowed when the memory was almost full, by which time I had 7.8 on it.

So do people think this is and 8.1 dev preview issue, the 1020 is just slow or a bit of both?

So, further to my issues with my 1020. It had only gotten slower and slower to the point of standstill, continually bringing up the 'Loading...' message when trying to open apps, or do almost anything. It was failing to even open text messages and you had to hit the icon and wait for it to fail about times before it would eventually open.

I had only about 2GB free on the phone, it's the standard 32GB model. I sat and deleted all my photos, backing up the ones I wanted to keep to my computer. Deleted a few apps and the like. Ended up with 5 or 6GB free. Phone was working fine, still a touch slow to do some things, but a lot better than the total failure to load things that I was experiencing last week.

So for the last 3 or 4 days my phone hasn't been showing me that I had emails, only when I went into the email app did they show. Live tiles not working. Then last night I went to send a text, opened messages and there I had messages from a few people that the phone didn't even notify me about. I was getting What's App's fine but text's just not making the phone ring. Then today, phone has been working alright. Go to lift it this evening and it's turned off. I think, what's going on here? I had taken a call about an hour previous and it was fine. I plugged it into my computer to see if the battery was flat as the mains charger was in a different room and it said something about installing my device. Phone didn't respond, so I went and plugged it into the wall charger, left it for over an hour and come back, still nothing.

Went to the Nokia site looking for troubleshooting methods, tried the volume down and power button, nothing. Then downloaded the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, still nothing. So I hit the 'My phone does not start up or respond' button, follow the directions and it says 'Phone is not supported' Sorry, what?

So in all I am really fed up, the screen has been cracked on the phone for a while so I'm glad I didn't bother to get it repaired. The problems began long before that and have continued. Even with the software updates.

Really sick of the phone now.

Inocencio Sanchez

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys here are some of my findings with Lumia 1020 cyan+update1 dp hope it will be helpful, to improved ms os.

WP8.1 Update 1 Findings
App Corner
Don't bother to organized your tile at the app corner because you are just wasting your time and effort, after all, the sweat you have done to make your app corner look pleasant to your borrower is useless, the next time you launch it to impress your friends,it will return into its messy and clutter arrangement.$ frustrated man 👨"

Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi means so much in every smartphones, how come it is connected to the Wi-Fi but says no internet connection(sucks), while upon checking with my other devices they are sound and well connected. You have to manually off and on your Wi-Fi to connect again and again and again....😠 in addition to that, Wi-Fi connection turned weaker than the previous os version.

What the he'll once you wake up and scroll your start screen after a long sleep(meaning phone is lock for a couple of hour) it lag like a he'll. what happened with its smooth and water like touch screen sensitivity. Seriously! bring back the joy of soft/smooth touch and scrolling.(happened for second time)

Bluetooth
Once you've start sharing files over Bluetooth you should expect the following:
*Unable to connect with the internet
*Can't used your app properly
* app that requires internet connection will turn useless until sharing is complete or until you soft reset your phone.

Found a bug on my start screen jeez... Bug bug bug hate it.. Pining lots of tiles on your start screen will give you so much of bug.

Wifi connectivity not so stable.
While i was surfing over my Lumia IE11, i received a notification, so i immediately swipe down my lovely notification center, then i noticed that the Wifi icon says no internet connection while i keep receiving new notifications from fb, tweeter and other app. Will i say my Wifi indicator is a liar.?

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had a lot of problems with WiFi and Bluetooth (I use BT headsets and Nokia 360 speaker) on Black, constantly requiring soft reset. But with Cyan there are no more connectivity problems for me. Happy about that!

areniex

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
After my phone got updated to Cyan there's a couple of noticeable issues.

1. Sometimes the camera lags and won't capture the image from camera mode and video mode. I need to restart the phone.
2. I can't open extras+info from the 'System' menu.

kam77

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Have a brand new 1020 that shuts down once in a while and won't turn on unless I do a soft reset. Last night I charged it to 100% and then went to bed. Woke up and it wouldn't turn on, did a soft reset and the battery was at 50% + the date and time was wrong. Anyone else have a problem like that + any solutions would be helpful. Thanks!!!!

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
If it's brand new, then return it to the point of purchase. If it can't be returned then send it to Nokia for repair. I had similar problems. Sounds like it is defective. Don't waste your time trying to diagnose it yourself. It's probably a hardware defect and nothing you can do.

lefffen1

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Why doesn't battery saver on 1020 dims the screen brightness and puts the capacative buttons light off? (8.1 with cyan) any solution
I have the same problem and from a bit of searching it seems we are not alone and it affects other devices too.
No solution yet..
Really annoying while trying to read at night, wish MS would just add an option to turn off the lights altogether..

ekgmedia

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to the Post I think I've mostly solved my issues. I was getting the 3 or 4 times a day reboots when the phone was just sitting there and I was not interacting with it, now I think its only happened once since yesterday. Then a soft reset and all seems fine. I think my battery life even went up a bit longer.

For me, all that is allowed to run in Background is:
Awesome Lock, Cortana, Vieather (weather app with transparent tiles), Endomondo Sports Tracker, Music, and Timer

I did have Skype in that list, thinking maybe someone might try to IM me thru there, but I think that might have been what was rebooting my phone for no reason. I checked Battery Saver, and even thou it did not register much usage, it had some, and I never use it, so something was running so not any more Skype.

I do still get the occasional not connecting to bluetooth or wifi, but that does not seem to have a pattern.

The biggest headache I use to have with WP8 was bluetooth syncing with car or headphones. So I would turn it off when not using it and back on when I needed to connect. If I was using headphones for instance, and I got in car, car would not take over. So I would have to shutoff headphones, connect with car, and about 90% of the time I would have to shutdown podcast app, and go over to xbox music and play 1 second of a song, and this seemed to force audio down the bluetooth pipe. Then I would stop and close down xbox music and reopen podcast and it would now start playing like normal. When I switched to 8.1 most of this went away, in fact BT is so much more reliable, that I leave it on all the time. Only issue I have when going from headphones to car is I have to pause audio, disconnect headphones and hit play in car a couple times and it will force pair and start playing audio again, but now in car instead of built in speaker or Headphones.

Once last thing I have noticed, and I submitted it to MS via the Rate Us in Settings on phone. (don't know if that goes to the proper group within MS, but it made since to me). And that is the default Calendar does not shutdown when you hit back button while in app till it closes. I would open up processes and its still there. The only way to close it, is to open running processes and kill it that way.

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I had my first big "BSOD" bug on the lumia 1020. Not a BSOD...but almost like it. I received a call.. talked and was about to hang up...and when I removed the phone from the side of my face, the screen came on as white with black dots. Almost the same look as a TV screen that is not receiving any signal.

post-45228-0-89169600-1350504756.jpg

I had to press the power and vol down button to reboot it and then it was fine. Very random. Don't know why. Anyone had this happen before?

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So after my 1020 bricked I sent it to Nokia for repair, they refused to repair it as there is damage to the screen. Which is completely unrelated. Been using my Lumia 710 in the meantime, 7.8 just doesn't cut it. Just got my 1020 back about 20 minutes ago, tried turning it on, of course it didn't work. So I tried the reset options, volume down and power, volume down, power and camera. No luck. Didn't expect there to be since I tried all these before I sent it away. However, I have plugged it in to charge and the Windows key flashes, so it seems there is some signs of life, just don't know how I am supposed to get it working again. Still have a year to run on my contract and really don't want to be paying for an expensive contract to use a 710.

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I had that happen once to me. I was surfing the internet then all of a sudden a static image of tv snow.

Yeah. It has been a week since then, haven't had it occur again. I have only 2 months left on warranty, so if I get it again, I am going to send it in for repair.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine never did it again either but it would shutdown randomly and not turn on. Nokia repaired it a few times and then gave me a new one. No issues so far after a month.

Birhang Limbu

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello friends.
2 week old Elvis, here are my problems.
1. And most crucial. Battery issues. Have 4-5% discharge per hour.
12am -8am = 100% - 60%.
Yes. Even on On Airplane mode with Battery Saver.

2. Lock screen has changed back to it's default thrice.

3. Settings under 'Apps to run in background' resets, has happened almost on a daily basis.

Are all Windows phone this buggy?
My first Windows phone.
Sadly. Heartbroken. It isn't cheap.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
If I'm on battery saver and airplane mode and not using the phone it drains maybe 1% per hour. Your results are not typical. Something is wrong with the phone. Unless you are playing games on it or something, the phone should not drain like that when on battery saver and airplane. Try rebooting and closing apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett