The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-29-2017 04:51 AM
610 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I'm having problems with the headphone jack on my Lumia 1020.
    I just got a lumia 1020 and had the same issue. I returned mine assuming it had to be faulty wiring. Other than that it worked great for 3 days.

My new phone that I just got forced me to soft reset. I charged it over night, and in the morning went to check email. Phone would not come on through normal means. Had to soft reset, then it came on fine. no problems since.

is this common and an intermittent bug or is there something faulty with this phone too? I will see if it happens again tonight.
    09-16-2013 02:19 PM
    So update on my bug not sure anybody else experienced.

So last week for a few days, my 1020 on ATT would have 4 or 5 bars on LTE, but the internet didn't work. I couldn't browse or use apps at all, not sure what caused it. I thought it was ATT so i called up ATT and they went through all the trouble shooting and told me to change sims, so i did, didn't work. The odd thing was, if the phone was on 4g, it worked, if it was on LTE, it didnt. So they went and refreshed my profile and all this stuff on their end and still nothing. Yes, my data connection option under cellular was on.

So i reset my phone and went into the spinning gears of death, for 8 hours straight, yes, 8 hours! I had to recharge a few times though during the 8 hours it was spinning.

So eventually it booted up finally and now my phone works ok. I also had been going through battery drain issues after a few weeks with the phone. The first 2 weeks or so, the battery was great, then for about 1.5 weeks, it started draining really fast and eventually had the no data connection issue.

now its fine, wondering if anybody else has this issue. I just got this phone in august after goiong througha bunch of defective 920s and my 1020 didn't last a month with issues. Probably going to get nokia to replace again.
    09-16-2013 06:11 PM
    My new phone that I just got forced me to soft reset.
    This happened again, second night in a row, second night I had the phone. This time it was not charging. Almost seems like at a certain time of night the phone just puts itself to sleep. Sent email to Nokia. three strikes and I guess I'll return to AT&T again unless I can find any cause.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-16-2013 11:09 PM
    My 920 is still going into battery drain mod some days. I gave up trying get it replace Nokia in Thailand told me there is nothing wrong with the phone.
    Hope I do not have the same problems with my 1020 I just ordered. if it is like yours it might be the last time I get a Lumia phone. I started with the 800 it died one month after warranty, then I purchased the 900 microphone replaced 3 times, the 920 suffers from battery drain and is only charging to 80% now. I am questioning myself if I should give it one last go.
    09-16-2013 11:20 PM
    My 920 is still going into battery drain mod some days. I gave up trying get it replace Nokia in Thailand told me there is nothing wrong with the phone.
    Hope I do not have the same problems with my 1020 I just ordered. if it is like yours it might be the last time I get a Lumia phone. I started with the 800 it died one month after warranty, then I purchased the 900 microphone replaced 3 times, the 920 suffers from battery drain and is only charging to 80% now. I am questioning myself if I should give it one last go.
    If ur phone only charges to 80% there is something wrong
    09-17-2013 01:09 AM
    Has anyone noticed the blank lockscreen image (no text)? I can get it to occur after a call ends and pressing the back button. I've also gotten it to occur randomly by swiping when the screen is about to time out. Odd and annoying sometimes.
    09-17-2013 11:30 AM
    For some reason sometimes when I play a video file on my 1020 it does not want to play until I restart my phone.
    zabihjan likes this.
    09-17-2013 02:32 PM
    i am about to buy one Lumia 1020, could anyone please confirm that GPS signal performance on this phone. i sold my lumia 900 because it had the weakest gps signal ever compared to my nexus 4. does the gps from lumia 1020 work in the cities with tall buildings? if it does i am ready to make the switch once again. please reply
    09-17-2013 05:27 PM
    Mine works just great....quicker fix than by 920.
    i am about to buy one Lumia 1020, could anyone please confirm that GPS signal performance on this phone. i sold my lumia 900 because it had the weakest gps signal ever compared to my nexus 4. does the gps from lumia 1020 work in the cities with tall buildings? if it does i am ready to make the switch once again. please reply
    09-17-2013 07:32 PM
    Mine's been perfect since day one ^_^
    09-18-2013 12:06 AM
    I've had two more lockups / shut downs since my last post. So I think that is 4 in 5 days I've had the phone. One occurred while talking on the phone, I accidentally hit the camera button. The call continued but the screen was a mess of colorful pixels. I couldn't do anything with the phone until I reset. Once again last night - same behavior I reported before. Woke up this morning to check my phone which was charging over night. Phone dead to the world. couldn't turn on. Had to soft reset.

I had previously removed the "Here" applications from the front screen hoping that would help. No luck I suppose. Guess I'll be returning this and going for a third phone - I can't have a phone that randomly shuts down and risk missing important calls. If the third phone has issue, then maybe I'll try a 920. Pretty bad experience.

BTW - I also emailed Nokia support several days ago - nothing in response.
    09-20-2013 06:55 AM
    Just got my new yellow 1020 last night.. No issues yet and I hope it stays that way!
    iRS73 and greynightshirt like this.
    09-20-2013 07:03 AM
    I've had two more lockups / shut downs since my last post. So I think that is 4 in 5 days I've had the phone. One occurred while talking on the phone, I accidentally hit the camera button. The call continued but the screen was a mess of colorful pixels. I couldn't do anything with the phone until I reset. Once again last night - same behavior I reported before. Woke up this morning to check my phone which was charging over night. Phone dead to the world. couldn't turn on. Had to soft reset.

I had previously removed the "Here" applications from the front screen hoping that would help. No luck I suppose. Guess I'll be returning this and going for a third phone - I can't have a phone that randomly shuts down and risk missing important calls. If the third phone has issue, then maybe I'll try a 920. Pretty bad experience.

BTW - I also emailed Nokia support several days ago - nothing in response.
    Just curious, are there any app you installed from a third party developer? Maybe one of those app are messing up your phone? Mine is rock solid for 1 straight week now. Good luck.
    09-21-2013 08:06 PM
    Hi,

I have a weird Issue with my brand new 1020 I received one day ago. Can someone confirm the error shown in the following video?
    Description:
    I started a random app that uses the camera (e.g. City Lense, Smart Cam etc.). You hear the clicking of the shutter and the rattling of the device when shaking it. So far so normal, I guess?
    After pushing some buttons and taking some images the screen suddenly turns black. The screen flickers when I hit the Back- or Home-Button or shake the 1020.
    Is this an issue which is normal to the 1020 with its mechanical shutter or is this an error? Thanks in advance.
    09-22-2013 04:02 PM
    Just curious, are there any app you installed from a third party developer? Maybe one of those app are messing up your phone? Mine is rock solid for 1 straight week now. Good luck.
    Thanks humblehyper -- not too many third party apps and none used very frequently or running in background or with start page tiles. This seems to be a common enough problem that it is addressed in a couple blogs such as this one: Nokia Lumia 1020: Common Problems Users Have and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends. I've had 3 good nights after making a couple adjustments. I had previously shut down all my background tasks for battery saving purposes, but I guess through an update or by running the app Here Drive+ turned on a background task that I wasn't aware of. I shut that down. Several people suggested some of the Here apps were culprits. The other thing I do is use the back button, especially at night when charging to exit out of all apps so nothing is running.

So far so good. It's unfortunate that I have to take such measures (my iphone friends are snickering at me), but if there are just some software compatibility glitches that could easily be fixed with a future update and have acceptable work arounds, I don't mind waiting out those updates. My big concerns was whether there was something wrong with the hardware.

Talked to Nokia and of course they just wanted me to do a hard reset. I will if I have to but given the phone is brand new I doubt that will make a difference. There's a root cause here somewhere.

Interesting side note adding to my frustration with Nokia. the day after my last shutdown, my wife's 620 did the same thing. It would not respond. She did not know how to soft reset so she removed the back plate (which is how you access sim in the 620) and then battery, then put back together. in putting it back together the screen cracked and became non-functional. After powering up i noticed she had the Here Drive+ app running in the background. She had previously had no issues but I had just done an update for her.
    09-23-2013 09:03 AM
    wow... just as I finished typing this I dialed into a conference call (using bluetooth headset) and while adjusting volume the phone restarted/rebooted... dropped the call. sigh...
    09-23-2013 09:06 AM
    Add me to the list of random reboots. Thankfully it happens in the middle of the night. The way I can tell is that my volume always returns to 13. So is this a hardware or software issue, and is MS aware of this?
    09-26-2013 08:00 AM
    I have a minor physical defect where I tap on the Windows button and the glass appears to be loose because it also taps in and hits whatever is behind it. It's the smallest area, but happens to be right where the Windows button is which can be annoying.
    09-27-2013 01:31 AM
    My "peek" doesn't work under the Glance settings for some reason. I can't wave my hand over the phone to bring up the clock because the clock is already there all the time! It doesn't go away at either Peek or Interval settings... anyone else got this problem?

edit: nevermind lol I had the idea of peek backwards. Its them saying "wave your hand over it" that throws you off.
    Last edited by Ed Boland; 09-29-2013 at 10:45 PM.
    09-29-2013 09:53 PM
    I am not able to scan barcodes in the search app. The image focuses for a moment but then blurs. The same thing is happening in the Bing translator. Is anyone else having this issue?
    yes having same issue.
    09-30-2013 02:20 PM
    -The volume of calls on the ear speaker is quite low even set at max (10)

-Camera cannot focus closely (Have to be about 4-5 inches away to focus). This basically stops all barcode scanner apps from working since you need to be very close to scan them.

Those are my two immediate experiences that I can think of as posting as a bug/defect.
    i second that. I experience all of those issues. Why is the volume so low????
    09-30-2013 02:21 PM
    Any new products that are released are bound to have defective units. So this is nothing unusual
    im sorry a 500 pound phone should not have these issues. Its not a new product by any stretch. Nokia, MS have been doing this for a while, both in the hardware and software side.

If they want to compete in the market, then they need to come up to par with the S4 or Iphone 5.

Just my opinion. :)
    09-30-2013 02:26 PM
    -The volume of calls on the ear speaker is quite low even set at max (10)
    I thought this too, when holding my 1020 against my ear how I would normally hold a phone. However, whilst trying to listen to my wife (it doesn't happen often!) on my phone whilst I was crossing a busy noisy road, I noticed that if I moved the position of the phone against my ear down a bit, the earpiece was nice and loud.
    10-01-2013 04:16 PM
    Turn bluetooth on and off several times and you will see yourself - you won't be able to turn bluetooth on again (!!!) and phone will reset itself randomly or freeze.
    It's not WP8 bug but Lumia firmware bug, my other device - Samsung Ativ S is rock stable.
    10-02-2013 04:53 AM
    I thought this too, when holding my 1020 against my ear how I would normally hold a phone. However, whilst trying to listen to my wife (it doesn't happen often!) on my phone whilst I was crossing a busy noisy road, I noticed that if I moved the position of the phone against my ear down a bit, the earpiece was nice and loud.
    Second that + Bluetooth issues (disconnects, crashes) - going to return mine (EU version)
    10-02-2013 04:55 AM
610 ... 56789 ...