Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Post below if you think your Nokia Lumia 1020 has any issues or isn't behaving as it should. This thread is for the discussion of any hardware or software issues.

Below is an overview of some of the terminology you may come across:

[tip]Soft Reset: By pressing down the Volume Down + Power buttons for 10-15 seconds (or until the device vibrates) you can perform a soft reset on your device. This is a little bit like a factory reset for your phone's OS only you get to keep all of your personal data. Think of it like restarting your PC. This is the first thing you should try if your device is behaving oddly.

Hard Reset: By going to settings>about>reset your phone you can completely wipe your phone of your personal data (ideal if you're going to send in your phone for repair or sell it). Your phone will turn off and you'll see spinning gears for a while (up to an hour or so) and when it's done you will see the same screens you saw when you first turned on your phone out of the box. You'll have to sign in with your Microsoft account again and start over.

How to make your Lumia's batter last longer: See the thread over at the Nokia Discussion Forum here.

How to reset your device's camera: Go to settings>applications>photos+camera>reset.[/tip]

Remember to keep your posts as descriptive as possible so that we can try to help you fix your issue as quickly as possible!

Last edited:

audirockman

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Connecting to a Wifi Network in airplane mode turns off Lumia 1020

Connecting to a Wifi Network in airplane mode turns off Lumia 1020

So I just got my Lumia 1020 and was trying to set it up without the sim in the device. I have done this in the past in case I have issues with the device.
(separately - you need to leave or insert a sim for nokia software on initial setup - AMBER I believe- to install correctly)

Scenario 1: AIRPLANE MODE WITH WIFI ON:

Company Wifi: WPA2 with AES encryption at 54 mbps (freq is unknown, but probably 2.4 ghz)
Phone froze while trying to connect. Soft Reset phone to get the 1020 to turn on. Tried again - turned phone off as a result.

I tested my 1020 in airplane mode with another WAP:

ICS on lumia 900: WPA2 with AES encryption at 54 mpbs (frequency is 2.4 ghz)
This worked.

Scenario 2:Cellular on without sim present:

Company Wifi: WPA2 with AES encryption at 54 mbps (freq is unknown, but probably 2.4 ghz)
Connected Fine!

I tested my 1020 in airplane mode with another WAP:

ICS on lumia 900: WPA2 with AES encryption at 54 mpbs (frequency is 2.4 ghz)
This worked.

Seems like this might be related to airplane mode... something wasn't turned on perhaps? I remember the 900 having wifi issues and data routing problems. It could also be my company wifi as my work RIM Bold 9700 can't connect but doesn't shut off... but the 1020 works in normal mode...so it looks to be due to the phone/software

I am going to test this issue on my home network at 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz with a netgear WNDR3700 to gather more data. Anyone else see this?

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Connecting to a Wifi Network in airplane mode turns off Lumia 1020

Had my 1020 randomly reboot once tonight. I wasnt doing anything but switching between apps. The camera was not involved. Read of others having this issue. Doesnt seem too bad yet, only once in like 10 hours.

Other issues, but I might just be missing it, is the feature to reframe images and save them doesnt seem to work. I click save, it says image saved, but then i cant find the saved zoomed image anywhere on the phone? what giveS?

Nokia_Lindsay

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi @Apps2Infinity - Make sure to get the latest Nokia Pro Cam app update (version 1.6.0.2) through the Store. Once you update the app, you should be able to save the reframed images. If you have any other questions, reach out to our Care team @NokiaCareUS on Twitter. Thanks!

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I saw that the Glance feature in some of the videos had the Peak option. I don't see that there in retail models. Is that no longer included?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I saw that the Glance feature in some of the videos had the Peak option. I don't see that there in retail models. Is that no longer included?

Mine didn't have it out of the box either. There is an update available for display+touch that adds the Peek option. Let me see if I can dig up the link for that app.

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine didn't have it out of the box either. There is an update available for display+touch that adds the Peek option. Let me see if I can dig up the link for that app.

Thanks, I didn't know that settings were apps too.

Along those lines, how do I tell how many apps need to be updated? the Windows store app never shows any app that needs to be updated, only if I open that app from the store does it say update.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
On the 920 the Store tile will tell you, just have to wait a little because it's not instantaneous. You will get them all eventually, or do them manually / individually if you're in a rush.

jadan127

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh thank you so much! I was freaking out that the Peek feature was taken out! Got the update and we have ignition!!!:grin:

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Right, that's what I thought, but the tile doesn't show anything, nor does the app itself. Is there a way to force a refresh?

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Only some apps have a separate check for update feature / setting. For the app in question, go to the Store and find it, click on it, and if the app itself doesn't say update then for whatever reason the update isn't yet available for you. Could be any combination of region, carrier, device, OS, etc.

dsyst

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up the 1020 and got back to office to notice that the windows/home capacitive button is not working. Have updated the phone and restarted to no avail. Gonna try to take it back if they have another one in stock. Any suggestions anyway?

fraize

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been connecting my new 1020 to my car's Bluetooth, both phone and audio. The XBox Music app plays fine, but every time I press play on the Audible app, Bluetooth crashes and disconnects. I've heard there may be a Bluetooth update soon. Can anybody else confirm that?

Dylan Browne

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 runs fine but I've noticed the display, not the digitizer over it, has very fine horizontal lines. They are not that noticeable when using the phone but on solid colors you really notice them. Could be a screen defect or maybe needs to burn in after a while. It's somewhat distracting but I can deal with it. Might take it in and see what happens.

UPDATE: after a day of use they're starting to fade. Hope they disappear!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up the 1020 and got back to office to notice that the windows/home capacitive button is not working. Have updated the phone and restarted to no avail. Gonna try to take it back if they have another one in stock. Any suggestions anyway?
My buttons are working but it seems the LEDs are not coming on. Anyone now if I should go bother with a hard reset? I reckon I'll get a replacement...

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
My buttons are working but it seems the LEDs are not coming on. Anyone now if I should go bother with a hard reset? I reckon I'll get a replacement...

Same. Also Speaker grill is crooked which might be a future dust issue, and there is a piece of material under the glass on the screen which is quite noticeable as well as a tiny metallic looking piece of dust under the lens glass. Probably going to replace but maybe not if I have to drive to the Microsoft store to do it....

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Turned off my phone started to charge it and now the led lights are lighting up. Ambient light remained the same as when they were not lighting up. Working now.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Turned off my phone started to charge it and now the led lights are lighting up. Ambient light remained the same as when they were not lighting up. Working now.

Ok after playing with it further I am noticing no rhyme or reason why the lights come on or do not come on. In a dark room it sometimes lights up right when I unlock, but other times it takes some time or doesn't light up at all. Weird. looks to be software though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05