Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had two more lockups / shut downs since my last post. So I think that is 4 in 5 days I've had the phone. One occurred while talking on the phone, I accidentally hit the camera button. The call continued but the screen was a mess of colorful pixels. I couldn't do anything with the phone until I reset. Once again last night - same behavior I reported before. Woke up this morning to check my phone which was charging over night. Phone dead to the world. couldn't turn on. Had to soft reset.

I had previously removed the "Here" applications from the front screen hoping that would help. No luck I suppose. Guess I'll be returning this and going for a third phone - I can't have a phone that randomly shuts down and risk missing important calls. If the third phone has issue, then maybe I'll try a 920. Pretty bad experience.

BTW - I also emailed Nokia support several days ago - nothing in response.

humblehyper

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had two more lockups / shut downs since my last post. So I think that is 4 in 5 days I've had the phone. One occurred while talking on the phone, I accidentally hit the camera button. The call continued but the screen was a mess of colorful pixels. I couldn't do anything with the phone until I reset. Once again last night - same behavior I reported before. Woke up this morning to check my phone which was charging over night. Phone dead to the world. couldn't turn on. Had to soft reset.

I had previously removed the "Here" applications from the front screen hoping that would help. No luck I suppose. Guess I'll be returning this and going for a third phone - I can't have a phone that randomly shuts down and risk missing important calls. If the third phone has issue, then maybe I'll try a 920. Pretty bad experience.

BTW - I also emailed Nokia support several days ago - nothing in response.

Just curious, are there any app you installed from a third party developer? Maybe one of those app are messing up your phone? Mine is rock solid for 1 straight week now. Good luck.

TrantSteel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a weird Issue with my brand new 1020 I received one day ago. Can someone confirm the error shown in the following video? Lumia 1020 Display Error - YouTube
Description:
I started a random app that uses the camera (e.g. City Lense, Smart Cam etc.). You hear the clicking of the shutter and the rattling of the device when shaking it. So far so normal, I guess?
After pushing some buttons and taking some images the screen suddenly turns black. The screen flickers when I hit the Back- or Home-Button or shake the 1020.
Is this an issue which is normal to the 1020 with its mechanical shutter or is this an error? Thanks in advance.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, are there any app you installed from a third party developer? Maybe one of those app are messing up your phone? Mine is rock solid for 1 straight week now. Good luck.

Thanks humblehyper -- not too many third party apps and none used very frequently or running in background or with start page tiles. This seems to be a common enough problem that it is addressed in a couple blogs such as this one: Nokia Lumia 1020: Common Problems Users Have and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends. I've had 3 good nights after making a couple adjustments. I had previously shut down all my background tasks for battery saving purposes, but I guess through an update or by running the app Here Drive+ turned on a background task that I wasn't aware of. I shut that down. Several people suggested some of the Here apps were culprits. The other thing I do is use the back button, especially at night when charging to exit out of all apps so nothing is running.

So far so good. It's unfortunate that I have to take such measures (my iphone friends are snickering at me), but if there are just some software compatibility glitches that could easily be fixed with a future update and have acceptable work arounds, I don't mind waiting out those updates. My big concerns was whether there was something wrong with the hardware.

Talked to Nokia and of course they just wanted me to do a hard reset. I will if I have to but given the phone is brand new I doubt that will make a difference. There's a root cause here somewhere.

Interesting side note adding to my frustration with Nokia. the day after my last shutdown, my wife's 620 did the same thing. It would not respond. She did not know how to soft reset so she removed the back plate (which is how you access sim in the 620) and then battery, then put back together. in putting it back together the screen cracked and became non-functional. After powering up i noticed she had the Here Drive+ app running in the background. She had previously had no issues but I had just done an update for her.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
wow... just as I finished typing this I dialed into a conference call (using bluetooth headset) and while adjusting volume the phone restarted/rebooted... dropped the call. sigh...

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list of random reboots. Thankfully it happens in the middle of the night. The way I can tell is that my volume always returns to 13. So is this a hardware or software issue, and is MS aware of this?

BU2B

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a minor physical defect where I tap on the Windows button and the glass appears to be loose because it also taps in and hits whatever is behind it. It's the smallest area, but happens to be right where the Windows button is which can be annoying.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My "peek" doesn't work under the Glance settings for some reason. I can't wave my hand over the phone to bring up the clock because the clock is already there all the time! It doesn't go away at either Peek or Interval settings... anyone else got this problem?

edit: nevermind lol I had the idea of peek backwards. Its them saying "wave your hand over it" that throws you off.

Last edited:

p7ayfu77

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
-The volume of calls on the ear speaker is quite low even set at max (10)

-Camera cannot focus closely (Have to be about 4-5 inches away to focus). This basically stops all barcode scanner apps from working since you need to be very close to scan them.

Those are my two immediate experiences that I can think of as posting as a bug/defect.

i second that. I experience all of those issues. Why is the volume so low????

p7ayfu77

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Any new products that are released are bound to have defective units. So this is nothing unusual

im sorry a ?500 pound phone should not have these issues. Its not a new product by any stretch. Nokia, MS have been doing this for a while, both in the hardware and software side.

If they want to compete in the market, then they need to come up to par with the S4 or Iphone 5.

Just my opinion. :)

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
-The volume of calls on the ear speaker is quite low even set at max (10)

I thought this too, when holding my 1020 against my ear how I would normally hold a phone. However, whilst trying to listen to my wife (it doesn't happen often!) on my phone whilst I was crossing a busy noisy road, I noticed that if I moved the position of the phone against my ear down a bit, the earpiece was nice and loud.

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Turn bluetooth on and off several times and you will see yourself - you won't be able to turn bluetooth on again (!!!) and phone will reset itself randomly or freeze.
It's not WP8 bug but Lumia firmware bug, my other device - Samsung Ativ S is rock stable.

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I thought this too, when holding my 1020 against my ear how I would normally hold a phone. However, whilst trying to listen to my wife (it doesn't happen often!) on my phone whilst I was crossing a busy noisy road, I noticed that if I moved the position of the phone against my ear down a bit, the earpiece was nice and loud.
Second that + Bluetooth issues (disconnects, crashes) - going to return mine (EU version)

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I also have a hissing/lisp/scratching sound when using the ear peace on the phone.

Another annoyance is when typing, I'll be busting out a message super fast like I always do, for some reason it regularly missis keys "y u i o and p". I've used a 900 and a 920 and never had any problems typing fast on the phones. With this 1020, it's so annoying because of how often it happens (a couple times for every text message I send).

I'm hoping the typing issue is due to software since this happens when the screen is flipped both sides (I don't think it's the touch recognition failing).

Santhosu

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 seems to drop the Wifi connection when the screen sleeps. I tried changing all the settings, but it keeps happening. I have to turn off and turn on wifi on the phone settings and it works immediately.

Edit:
Phone software is fully updated. I have checked the "Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out" setting. It still happens.
I googled it and it seems to be a common problem. One solution suggested Is Wireless>WMM>No-Acknowledgement = 'ON' on the wireless router. My wireless router does not even have this setting. And my previous iPhone worked without any issues.

The phone is going back if I can't find a solution over the weekend

Last edited:

Negamaki

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Out of nowhere today my Nokia restarted. This has happened before but today it booted to a blue screen and has been since stuck that way.

When I restart the phone, it just gets stuck on that screen. It will go past the AT&T screen but no further. It never boots up the Windows Phone logo.

Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do without having to completely wipe the phone? I never transferred any of my information and pictures, etc. to my computer; I don't want that all to be lost.

Please help! :(

textvscall

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I should have posted the following in this thread instead of the UK thread. My post is pending moderation so I'll paste what I submitted as I believe it is a defect which I'm hoping will be resolved once my replacement arrives.

I received my yellow 1020 from o2 on the day of release. I noticed that in all of the videos I shot (two videos in near silent rooms) that there was a 'white noise/static noise' when playing any recorded video.

I put the camera lens next to my ear and I can hear the same sound in the video. This sound is only audible once the nokia pro cam app has been launched. Nokia Support tole me to hard reset and then factory reset but the problem remains. I notified o2 about this fault this past Monday and they said that they would send a replacement out once stock has arrived. I received an update today via phone call stating that the expected stock has not arrived but it may arrive over the weekend and I'll be kept updated.

I paid of the remaining cash price of the phone and moved to pay and go but luckily I'm still within the 14 day period when I reported the fault so o2 will send a replacement and collect my current device because of this. Otherwise it would have to go through Nokia.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It is a audible noise from the actual camera lends once the pro cam is open which is captured during video when recoding video.

I haven't opened any of my accessories as I'm hoping to exchange them at a o2 store for yellow accessories but none of my local o2 stores have any accessories in stock.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos