Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am having the screen orientation not switch for me say once every week or so. Requires a restart to begin working again. Anybody else?

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having the screen orientation not switch for me say once every week or so. Requires a restart to begin working again. Anybody else?

I have had this happen a couple times a few months ago. For me it was related t o the pro cam app. But I have just seen this earlier today on my wife's 928. Same issue. Locked screen orientation in portrait. Reboot solves the issue. Not an annoyance unless it is happening daily IMO.

Disinto

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody, I noticed that my power button is now a little bit flimsy (i.e. too much play compared to when I got it). In addition, I can hear some cracking when I press the back of the phone (just below the camera) or the right edge. Anybody noticed that?

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody, I noticed that my power button is now a little bit flimsy (i.e. too much play compared to when I got it). In addition, I can hear some cracking when I press the back of the phone (just below the camera) or the right edge. Anybody noticed that?

Tried pressing all over the back of my unit just now and it still feels really solid and whole, no area that would give in to pressure at all. Also, the power button seems really sturdy, unlike the on my 925. But of course I've only had my unit for 12 days. How long have you had yours? Have you ever dropped it or anything like that?

Alex Boasman

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have not had the best experience with my 1020, After getting a faulty 920 and being stuffed around, I got a replacement 925, which was faulty with reception issues, they then finally upgraded me to a 1020 which now has the following issues!

Search button back light has died, occasionally comes on with the others but faulty happened after 3 days!

Creaking at the lower right half of the phone.

Power button is loose fitting from the start of receiving the handset.

Pretty annoying for a week old phone if you ask me

All physical issues though, Software is stable, and the recent update fixed the yellow tinge photos had, alas I'm going to have to sent a handset off to Nokia again, 8th Time in 7 months, Fantastic!

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I have not had the best experience with my 1020, After getting a faulty 920 and being stuffed around, I got a replacement 925, which was faulty with reception issues, they then finally upgraded me to a 1020 which now has the following issues!

Search button back light has died, occasionally comes on with the others but faulty happened after 3 days!

Creaking at the lower right half of the phone.

Power button is loose fitting from the start of receiving the handset.

Pretty annoying for a week old phone if you ask me

All physical issues though, Software is stable, and the recent update fixed the yellow tinge photos had, alas I'm going to have to sent a handset off to Nokia again, 8th Time in 7 months, Fantastic!

You have got to be the unluckiest person ever. At least in terms of Nokia handsets. I've never hand any hardware problems with Nokia. My 925 and 1020 are perfect, except for a small dark blob on my 1020 screen which is barely noticeable unless I squint at it in a dark room.

I hope your replacement handset is finally the one.

joefrosty

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1020 is 3 months old and just froze with a black screen and the camera light on. Already took it to AT&T and they're replacing it. Is there an external factory reset so I can wipe my data?

joefrosty

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there an external hard reset? Phone black screened and froze with the camera light on. Phone is dead. Need to wipe data. Any way to plug into power, factory restore, hard reset? AT&T is replacing phone, but don't want to send it in with my stuff...

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there an external hard reset? Phone black screened and froze with the camera light on. Phone is dead. Need to wipe data. Any way to plug into power, factory restore, hard reset? AT&T is replacing phone, but don't want to send it in with my stuff...

Follow these steps:
1. Press and hold Camera + Power + Volume Down buttons.
2. After few seconds, the phone will vibrate.
3. Release the Power button and keep holding the Camera and Volume Down button.
4. After 5 to 10 seconds release both the buttons.

BryanW82

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have had my 1020 a month now and am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following:
Screen sensitivity issues - it will misbehave as if a ghost is using it and will open apps at random or not respond when touched. When the lock screen is engaged it will then try and unlock itself but the lock screen just bounces up and down. If left, it stops after a while, but a soft reset is required if I actually need to use my phone. Sometimes more that 2-3 soft resets are required. The problem is sporadic, and may not happen for days, then happen many times in one day. When it does happen, the date and time revert to May 2013, 03:30am. This started happening on day one, and stopped after a few days for a week or two, but is now happening more frequently. I was hoping the recent update (what did that do?) may have cured it, but it hasn't.

I logged the issue with the phone provider Phones4U and am able to swap it - which I will.

Has anyone else has experienced / fixed or given up on this issue?

Thanks.

edit- I have also tried a factory settings hard reset to no effect.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
^^ @BryanW82, Definitely sounds like a faulty unit, especially since you sait it started from day 1. I haven't experience any screen sensitivity issues on my unit. Good thing you could still have it replaced. Hopefully your new 1020 will give you a better experience.

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey bud, what is this dark blob you mentioned seeing in the dark? I have a small one on my 1020 as well. Is that a problem? Should I replace my phone?

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey bud, what is this dark blob you mentioned seeing in the dark? I have a small one on my 1020 as well. Is that a problem? Should I replace my phone?

Apparently, it's an inherent flaw in AMOLED screens. Mine is not that bad, and it's barely noticeable. I guess it depends on you if you want to have it replaced or not, or if the shop where you got it from would even let you have it replaced. WOrth a t ry I guess, especially since there are some people who apparently got perfect screens on their 1020...

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Screen sensitivity issues - it will misbehave as if a ghost is using it and will open apps at random or not respond when touched.
There have been some reports that issues like that can be avoided by reducing the touch screen sensitivity, which Nokia has set to "high" per default.

BryanW82

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Newly replaced 1020 is behaving itself! It seems the camera is even sharper on this one too, so I must have had a dud first time round. Great phone!

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anybody experienced the same thing before...

Upon receiving a call, I'm asked to swipe up to answer / reject the call. However, no matter how I swiped upwards, it's just not registering my gesture. The phone kept on ringing. I need to toggle the power button, then the swiping up can be registered.

Happened twice yesterday. The same situation happened too with my old 820. I think this is a bug lurking somewhere....

Anywhere or who I can report the bug to?

Thanks!

phendrome

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, it's an inherent flaw in AMOLED screens. Mine is not that bad, and it's barely noticeable. I guess it depends on you if you want to have it replaced or not, or if the shop where you got it from would even let you have it replaced. WOrth a t ry I guess, especially since there are some people who apparently got perfect screens on their 1020...
I actually have two of those dark blobs on my screen of my new 1020, which I got yesterday. One at the top of the screen on the left side and one sort of in the middle.

As you noted, it can be seen easier in darker environments, especially when you have a dark screen as well (like a very grey background).

Also how is your power button? Is it as sturdy as the volume ones? Mine seems to be a little flimsy and loose compared to that.

I can also relate to the squeaking sound between the power and camera button. I kind of had the same issue (but worse) on my Lumia 800 but that was between the volume and power button.

Else I'm satisfied with it. I think I do want to replace it though due to the dark blobs, which really started to annoy me at times.

Last edited:

quieterhue

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
So this is weird...

If headphones or aux cord is plugged into the audio jack you can't adjust the volume of podcasts. Doesn't happen for music, only podcasts. The numbers go up and down on the volume control, but the volume doesn't actually change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99