Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plazma1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm running a new 1020 and 8.1 really bogs this thing down. Apps don't launch and I'm constantly getting kicked back to the home screen. How can Skype not work on a Microsoft phone?...

matt john2

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm running a new 1020 and 8.1 really bogs this thing down. Apps don't launch and I'm constantly getting kicked back to the home screen. How can Skype not work on a Microsoft phone?...

Do a soft reset. I've had the same problem with my L1020 when the windows phone 8.1 beta(Preview For Developers) first came out and I think pretty much most of the WP user had the same issues as well. I also had the battery drain issue when I first installed the WP 8.1. If the soft reset didn't work, do a hard reset and if that didn't work as well use the recovery tool, it will reset to the stock OS then install the update again it should work this time. I have installed the Preview For Developers so many times cause I'm sick of waiting for my carrier to release the update, I do same thing each time I experience an issue with the update. Good luck

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My manual focus to infinity it's blurred and the right part of the photos have a lower resolution.
It's an hardware problem or software?

Are you shooting in low light? If yes, then the blurriness is caused by hand-instability (the OIS doesn't seem to be active in manual focus mode). If no, try restarting your phone... or checking if there are smudges on the glass covering the lens.:wink:

pointman66

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Wont record video

Since updating to 8.1, no camera apps Will record video.

At first the record button/symbol highlighted but recording didn't start.

Arter a week (Now) the recording starts (the TIME-count kicks in) but the videos dont save. They dont appear in the gallery or anywhere.

I've Done the soft reset, set the camera and app settings to default, searched for updates, uninstalled and reinstalled the apps - but still not working.

I've tried the Lumia Camera, Camera, and various phone-apps with the same result.

Really frustrating as the camera, obviously, is Why i bought the phone.

View attachment 88405

I solved this problem by changing the camera app I was using. It would not save videos if I used the Nokia Smart Cam app, but the Camera app worked correctly.

lysa10

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for nearly a year and have had no problems with pictures until this week. All of a sudden, any light in the picture turns out a large bright ball or streaks of lights across most of the photo. All the settings are default/auto. For example, last year when I took pics of my xmas tree, the lights on it just looked like lights. Now, each light shows up a streak of color - completely ruining the photo. I've tried resetting the camera, but it's made no difference.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for nearly a year and have had no problems with pictures until this week. All of a sudden, any light in the picture turns out a large bright ball or streaks of lights across most of the photo. All the settings are default/auto. For example, last year when I took pics of my xmas tree, the lights on it just looked like lights. Now, each light shows up a streak of color - completely ruining the photo. I've tried resetting the camera, but it's made no difference.

Have you tried cleaning the lens cover real good? Use a fine microfiber cloth, like the ones especially made for cleaning lenses. Sometimes you might think it looks clean, but oils from your skin or other contaminants can distort a picture.

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
So...along with the above screen bug that I've experienced recently, here's some more.

Live tiles fail to update regularly. MSN apps seem to be the worse in this respect but others fail as well.

Sync fails between Windows 8.1 devices and the 1020 and vice versa. I have only managed to sync my bookmarks once since the feature became available. I checked and double checked the sync settings on all devices and they all look good. Disabling and re-enabling doesn't help. I've manually synced my live account, set it to 'as items arrive' and also periodically but that hasn't help. On one occasion, I was lucky enough to see my 1020 tabs on the laptop but they don't update. It still showed the same tabs the next day regardless of the fact that those tabs had long since been closed and new ones were opened. I have never been able to see any laptop or desktop tabs from devices running Windows 8.1 on my phone. Really disappointing.

Then there's the camera glitches which seem to be well documented here. It's very frustrating lining up what could be amazing shots only for the camera to freeze and the only solutions seems to be restarting or soft resetting.

There have been random reboots as well but these have been relatively few and far between. I'm sure there's other things as well but these are just the most annoying as they are impacting on my enjoyment of the phone.

I'm beginning to think the 1020 has a life span of about a year as mine is about 13 months now and the bugs have increased over the past few months. It would be interesting to find out how old other people's 1020s are to see if there is indeed a link between the bugs and age of the phones.

Mine is 9 months old and the camera lens not closing seems to be happening more and more now. :/ Sent it for "repair" and had the lens replaced but the issue still persists. Maybe its the software?

mikks

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had enough of the "Loading..." and "Resuming...", and the occasional "Saving image..." with sometimes doesn't even save and let me exit, unless I did a soft reset just to quit the camera app.

Then, I decided to uninstall Skype since almost all of my contacts never use or had skype, and turned off my Cortana after a few months playing with it. And guess what... no more of those crap issues mentioned earlier. The phone itself felt like it has just done a hard reset.

My photos load faster, if not instant. Certain games that lag now no longer lag, they even load and start faster. Never had to soft reset anymore. And battery life is obviously better. I'm uncertain if Skype and Cortana are the culprit.

Did the same and indeed the phone is a lot more responsive.

On a separate note, the only other issue with my 1020 is the freezing. It's not regular, the phone can work normally for days and then freeze three time in one day. Soft reset turns it back on but resets date and time (thank god foe ClockSync).

Colorado_User

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution for the problem where the camera keeps taking pictures after pressing the shutter button when using the Lumia Camera app. I've uninstalled/re-installed, soft re-booted, etc. and it keeps returning.

farhanaxiq

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
i have a problem with my camera, first if I zoom in a video it won't focus, need to focus at the furthest distance. And, I have a infinity focus problem, tap to focus is very sharp.wp_ss_20141228_0003.jpgwp_ss_20141228_0004.jpgwp_ss_20141228_0005.jpg

Mark Jereos

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone help me? My wifi seems not to be working cause I was trying to turn it on it doesn't turn on. I have already try the soft reset and hard reset but its still not working. I hope someone could help me. thanks

shielahswshielah

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 takes to long to snap a picture, I've looked for a setting w can't find how to adjust the time lapse. On my 920 I could take a quick picture at the moment of my grandson, I bought the 1020 to get better pictures and there's at least a 2-4 second delay when I take the picture and I miss it totally, am I doing something wrong? It shouldn't be like that, kinda defeats the whole purpose of me upgrading. It's idiotic. Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo