Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertha Hattingh

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I''ve had my Lumia 1020 for 3-4 months now and it starts up.....but as soon as the NOKIA (thats on the screen) dissapears it has an exclimation mark. It does have a cracked screen but i do not see any relavince. I have tried using the Tooltip witch did not work.I would like to have some instructions as to what i have to do , since it is an excelent phone

Kind regards
Bertha

Dave Castling

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
My 1020 has started randomly opening up the nokia camera and taking pictures. I've rebooted it several times, but it goes right back to this behavior. At times I can't even back out of the camera before it starts to open it again. It's unusable currently, so any help is appreciated.

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I''ve had my Lumia 1020 for 3-4 months now and it starts up.....but as soon as the NOKIA (thats on the screen) dissapears it has an exclimation mark. It does have a cracked screen but i do not see any relavince. I have tried using the Tooltip witch did not work.I would like to have some instructions as to what i have to do , since it is an excelent phone

Kind regards
Bertha

Try pressing and holding both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to reboot and respond properly again. :D

Dan7073

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
My 1020 has started randomly opening up the nokia camera and taking pictures. I've rebooted it several times, but it goes right back to this behavior. At times I can't even back out of the camera before it starts to open it again. It's unusable currently, so any help is appreciated.

Yes, this is happening to me too.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Taking a picture while some of tiles are scheduled to update, or while the phone is performing some background operation, results in a photo with distinct horizontal lines. This problem has been present, but not frequent, ever since the first few months of owning the L1020 - having it repaired after 11 months (board replacement) didn't fix the issue, though the frequency has decreased. Earlier posts have been made on the same issue in this thread.

Have a look at the sample photos below, taken just a few seconds apart:
WP_20150927_01_20_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20150927_01_22_05_Pro.jpg

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Taking a picture while some of tiles are scheduled to update, or while the phone is performing some background operation, results in a photo with distinct horizontal lines. This problem has been present, but not frequent, ever since the first few months of owning the L1020 - having it repaired after 11 months (board replacement) didn't fix the issue, though the frequency has decreased. Earlier posts have been made on the same issue in this thread.

Have a look at the sample photos below, taken just a few seconds apart:
View attachment 113228
View attachment 113229

I've had this happen to me too. But usually when it happens the camera will crash and the physical shutter will not close back, requiring me to restart my phone. Found out it only happened in Lumia camera with the frequency of the crashing increasing when I saved the RAW file as well as the 5MP sample.

Now whenever I go out and intend to use my camera intensely, I'll restart my phone before heading out to avoid the issue.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had this happen to me too. But usually when it happens the camera will crash and the physical shutter will not close back, requiring me to restart my phone. Found out it only happened in Lumia camera with the frequency of the crashing increasing when I saved the RAW file as well as the 5MP sample.

Now whenever I go out and intend to use my camera intensely, I'll restart my phone before heading out to avoid the issue.

That issue you're referring to me also happened to me, and it became more frequent just a few weeks before my phone died (boot error) and had to be sent to a service center. After the repair, it only happened thrice (in four months), and it happens when I "push the limits" of the phone, taking a lot of high-res photos successively, i.e. while the phone still says it's "Saving...".

Thanks for the tip - I'll try that in addition to what I've found (read below). :smile:

Here's something that may be useful for you: I noticed that the bug doesn't occur when I don't have Internet connection - so when I plan to do some intense and prolonged photography, I keep my L1020 in airplane mode - no issues. :wink:

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
That issue you're referring to me also happened to me, and it became more frequent just a few weeks before my phone died (boot error) and had to be sent to a service center. After the repair, it only happened thrice (in four months), and it happens when I "push the limits" of the phone, taking a lot of high-res photos successively, i.e. while the phone still says it's "Saving...".

Thanks for the tip - I'll try that in addition to what I've found (read below). :smile:

Here's something that may be useful for you: I noticed that the bug doesn't occur when I don't have Internet connection - so when I plan to do some intense and prolonged photography, I keep my L1020 in airplane mode - no issues. :wink:

Thanks for the tip! :grin: Will be turning on airplane mode for future intense photography! :D

kawgwheelz

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 has experienced major issues over the past 3 months.
  • First, it wasn't booting, took it to the repair centre where they fixed it and I was able to use it for a couple of weeks
  • After some time it had blue screens: on soft reset the blue screen came back, on hard reset, the phone would not boot. I took it back to the repair centre where they had it fixed again. (apparently they changed the motherboard)
  • Now, the phone is back to not booting, I've tried Windows Device Recovery Tool but it still will not boot even after this.

Anyone with fixes for this, I can't let my camera go just like that :(

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Anyone here on W10 recorded a video at 30fps 1080p?
I find playback looks like it's moving frame by frame. Anyone else getting this?
Using 1080p @ 25fps doesn't do this

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020: User Reviews

Battery drops at the rate 12% per hour, when phone is connected to WIFI, GPS off, cell data off, and phone is on standby mode.

Often times the drain rate is 25% per hour, when cell data 3G on GPS ON and moderate usage of internet explorer.

My phone runs WP8.1 CYAN DEV PREVIEW.
All background tasks have been disabled already.

Please help, what to do to improve battery.

In my experience, the lumia 1020 can't handle internet all that well. I've seen 50% per hour drop with using 3G internet while checking whatsapp or 6tag

gggggg kkkkkkk

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,my problem is that when I take pictures and the flash is on, the pictures have green,yellow and blue stripes when saved on the phone. Like the graphic card would be damaged.When I put the flash off, the pictures are saved normal.
It started to happen in the last week and I do not now how to repair it.Plz help

miirness_m

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys and girls.
I have a problem with my 1020 which makes it unusable for me. I do not know if it is a glitch or a bug or a problem with the screen.
PROBLEM;
The problem is with the bottom left of the screen. When I unlock my phone it keeps opening apps that are in the bottom left of the screen. For instance; when I open my FB Messenger, and go in a chat, the phone keeps pressing the like button. The only way to stop is by locking the phone and opening the phone and quickly going to the Start screen. However this just opens the next app which is in the bottom left corner.

If my question is to difficult to understand I can send a video or post it.

Super_Stud

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Bought my Lumia 1020 on 15 September'14.
It had a lot of issues in the first week itself, like hanging, auto-restart, lock screen freeze, over heating, unresponsive buttons. I tried to soft reset as it was written on the manual. Still nothing worked & if it used to get hanged,I could only use it after the charge would go 0% & it would switch off.

So,I went to the retailer and they didn't helped me at all. So,I went to a nearby Nokia Care centre & they took my mobile for servicing after we fought for sometime. (Because they didn't want to fix it and said that everything's alright)

After 2-4 days I got my handset back. But, on the next day again I was facing those old problems + a new issue of battery depleting very fastly, even when I wasn't using it & nothing was running in background also, because I have a habit of closing all my apps. Now,I always used to keep my mobile fully updated to the latest update. I contacted the same service centre & Nokia customer support through mails & phone calls about that they changed my battery. But, none of them helped me with this issue & just said formally that please submit your handset to a nokia care centre for fixing it & I couldn't risk to give it to them again ( because now they might do something else to my mobile)
Days, weeks, and months passed by but I received no help and just sympathies.
And on around Aug-Sep. '15 , my phone just went dead even when it was fully charged. I couldn't even use my mobile for a full year, for which I had paid ₹47,000 INR. It became dead as in, it won't charge anymore, open, soft reset or hard reset. It was also not getting detected on various machines(PCs & Laptops).

I've been contacting them ever since and haven't received any kind of assistance. It's almost 2016 now.
I'm desperately in need of some help here as to, what I should do now?
Proceed legally or what?
I'm very much sad because of this situation. Because ₹47,000 is too much for an Indian student & it was my whole life's savings that I spent.. :(( :/

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Bought my Lumia 1020 on 15 September'14.
It had a lot of issues in the first week itself, like hanging, auto-restart, lock screen freeze, over heating, unresponsive buttons. I tried to soft reset as it was written on the manual. Still nothing worked & if it used to get hanged,I could only use it after the charge would go 0% & it would switch off.

So,I went to the retailer and they didn't helped me at all. So,I went to a nearby Nokia Care centre & they took my mobile for servicing after we fought for sometime. (Because they didn't want to fix it and said that everything's alright)

After 2-4 days I got my handset back. But, on the next day again I was facing those old problems + a new issue of battery depleting very fastly, even when I wasn't using it & nothing was running in background also, because I have a habit of closing all my apps. Now,I always used to keep my mobile fully updated to the latest update. I contacted the same service centre & Nokia customer support through mails & phone calls about that they changed my battery. But, none of them helped me with this issue & just said formally that please submit your handset to a nokia care centre for fixing it & I couldn't risk to give it to them again ( because now they might do something else to my mobile)
Days, weeks, and months passed by but I received no help and just sympathies.
And on around Aug-Sep. '15 , my phone just went dead even when it was fully charged. I couldn't even use my mobile for a full year, for which I had paid ₹47,000 INR. It became dead as in, it won't charge anymore, open, soft reset or hard reset. It was also not getting detected on various machines(PCs & Laptops).

I've been contacting them ever since and haven't received any kind of assistance. It's almost 2016 now.
I'm desperately in need of some help here as to, what I should do now?
Proceed legally or what?
I'm very much sad because of this situation. Because ₹47,000 is too much for an Indian student & it was my whole life's savings that I spent.. :(( :/

You might have tried going to another service center to repair the phone.

Did you get the phone with warranty when you bought it from the retailer? If yes, Nokia care should have helped free of charge.
Try another nokia service center in another town or city if possible

Super_Stud

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Chintan Gohel.
Yes,I tried going to 3 other service centres in 2 cities, but they all said that they can't help me. One of the service centre only gave me a temporary solution to soft reset. The guy first fixed my handset which was hanged at that time & then taught me how to do it. Just that!!
Do you think that now,I should refer my issue to Consumer Affairs??

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Chintan Gohel.
Yes,I tried going to 3 other service centres in 2 cities, but they all said that they can't help me. One of the service centre only gave me a temporary solution to soft reset. The guy first fixed my handset which was hanged at that time & then taught me how to do it. Just that!!
Do you think that now,I should refer my issue to Consumer Affairs??

This is really strange that the cutomer care guys aren't helping you.

i had taken my lumia 1020 3 times to customer care and they helped each time while my phone was under warranty

Super_Stud

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
This is really strange that the cutomer care guys aren't helping you.

i had taken my lumia 1020 3 times to customer care and they helped each time while my phone was under warranty

I understand your point.
But, even I don't know the reason behind this kind of behaviour.
Maybe that's how Microsoft/Nokia treats it's customers in India.
And,1 more theory is that they just want to avoid it to save themselves.
Anyways, what should be my next step?
Proceed legally??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99