07-21-2013 01:17 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    even i'm on 800 :D but i'll wait for next year. i'm currently happy with 7.8 for my basic needs. I'll upgrade after GDR3
    07-11-2013 01:33 PM
    I think what it means to be a runaway success needs to be defined.
    Sells more than l520 or l920?
    Or sells more than what they expected to sell given its price point and who their aiming it at?
    this is a niche phone while 520 and 920 are meant for the general consumer...i believe if 1020 sells better than competition (like S4 Zoom) they can call it a day!
    and also if they attract consumers from other brands (like, i was gonna buy a S4 Zoom but 1020 offers better camera tech, so imma go for it) it's also a win!
    Nataku4ca likes this.
    07-11-2013 01:42 PM
    I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.
    No wireless charging is in the camera grip accessory; wireless charging support is in a different attachable cover that is just for wireless charging. I, too, am disappointed to find it not built in to the primary case, I'd rather have a thicker case and no camera bump on the back that otherwise makes it awkward to rest/use on a flat surface. And if there were leftover space in the thicker case with the Qi components, they could make the battery bigger. :)
    07-11-2013 01:43 PM
    If this is a niche device, why on earth was there such a big announcement and why is it getting so much coverage?
    07-11-2013 01:55 PM
    I think what it means to be a runaway success needs to be defined.
    Sells more than l520 or l920?
    Or sells more than what they expected to sell given its price point and who their aiming it at?
    The platform needs some momentum behind it and i was hoping this would be reasonably priced, because i could see this type of phone being a form of Trojan horse for Microsoft and Nokia. Imagine all the people that see this weird looking phone with a big circle on the back of it and want to ask their friends about it. "oh this phone is great at taking pictures and its so easy". Consumer to Consumer marketing is one of the best ways to gain customers, think of all the effort that goes into social media marketing and making those viral videos.
    07-11-2013 02:14 PM
    because its a huge leap in terms of Cameras on a phone. look how much attention the first Nokia Pureview 808 got from tech blogs and reviewers, this is its successor....

how ever, i feel that this should of been called the 929 or something like that, its above the 925 and 928 in terms of a refreashed 920, due to the 925/8's being slimmer due to no Qi charging and they both look rather similar and even alike to the 1020, but i feel that as a model number 1020 seems HUGE, i would of expected some real advances, but it looks like most WP8 Lumia devices will get some of the pro shoot apps that comes with the 1020, just like the Nokia Smart Cam with the 925....or stick with the other rumour of it being called the Nokia Lumia 909

im glad i got my 925 when i did, as it should mean that once my upgrade comes around we ought to be on the 4th Gen or WP :D and since WP8 devices, 2nd gen, are really kicking up a storm winning design and tech awards then i dont see why WP will struggle.

Nokia has EVERY price range/budget covered, from the Ludicrous 1020 $300 + 2 year contract (which i dont see being possible to sell to people) to the lovely little 5/620's available to youths with the colourful bodies and attractive price tags, hopefully the lower priced models will help with WP market share, i know i went for the Lumia 610 over a Galaxy Ace due to the fact that it was different and the OS is just amazing to look at due to personalisation etc.
    07-11-2013 02:16 PM
    because its a huge leap in terms of Cameras on a phone. look how much attention the first Nokia Pureview 808 got from tech blogs and reviewers, this is its successor....

how ever, i feel that this should of been called the 929 or something like that, its above the 925 and 928 in terms of a refreashed 920, due to the 925/8's being slimmer due to no Qi charging and they both look rather similar and even alike to the 1020, but i feel that as a model number 1020 seems HUGE, i would of expected some real advances, but it looks like most WP8 Lumia devices will get some of the pro shoot apps that comes with the 1020, just like the Nokia Smart Cam with the 925....or stick with the other rumour of it being called the Nokia Lumia 909

im glad i got my 925 when i did, as it should mean that once my upgrade comes around we ought to be on the 4th Gen or WP :D and since WP8 devices, 2nd gen, are really kicking up a storm winning design and tech awards then i dont see why WP will struggle.

Nokia has EVERY price range/budget covered, from the Ludicrous 1020 $300 + 2 year contract (which i dont see being possible to sell to people) to the lovely little 5/620's available to youths with the colourful bodies and attractive price tags, hopefully the lower priced models will help with WP market share, i know i went for the Lumia 610 over a Galaxy Ace due to the fact that it was different and the OS is just amazing to look at due to personalisation etc.
    they would have been better of calling it the the 909, indicating that this is an evolution from the the 808 pureview. However they should have at least included an SD Card slot.. those 38 mp pictures will take up quite abit of space :P. Yes i know it saves a 5 mp at the same time but they don't allow to reframe time and time again. I guess the only way around that is downloading them on to your PC under a directory i.e /Raw. Then if you wish to reframe it reload it onto the phone... but that is to much hassle lol.

Although i'm stoked to see a 64 gb variant but at the same time annoyed as it is carrier exclusive... In regards to specs, rumour has it Nokia was struggling with battery life with quad core chips. If that was case why not a 2ghz dual core chip? or something.

My hunch is that they will announce something with Pelican camera tech this Fall. This is definitely something that will appeal to some people with L920s but not most as you still have a damn good camera and wireless charging in one package. I for one was looking of upgrading but now not so much but looking forward to GDR3 and the devices it will bring,
    Rem97 likes this.
    07-11-2013 02:56 PM
    im just glad i got a flagship phone this time around, its my first ever...was torn between a HTC One and the 925, but liked the OS from previous 925, plus Nokia Exclusive apps are brilliant, Music and Drive, plus a few friends who had HTC phone's werent that impressed and a couple who had 920's were very impressed :D

so im just glad i will be getting updates first, no matter what, but yeah the sound of "1020" just sounds like an upgrade, 909 would of been more model appropriate, i feel.
    07-11-2013 03:30 PM
    I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.
    the camera grip accessory doesn't support wireless charging. There's a separate extremely thin wireless charging plate that Dan just posted a video of. But yeah, you'll still find that a step backwards because its not built-in.
    07-11-2013 03:40 PM
    this is a niche phone while 520 and 920 are meant for the general consumer...i believe if 1020 sells better than competition (like S4 Zoom) they can call it a day!
    and also if they attract consumers from other brands (like, i was gonna buy a S4 Zoom but 1020 offers better camera tech, so imma go for it) it's also a win!
    and that is my point, you cant measure success simply by how well it sells.
    Success for Nokia will be based on their projections.
    Its not meant to sell as many.
    So i don't think people can say it wont be a runaway success.
    For Nokia it may very well be just that, even with a lot less sales.
    07-11-2013 03:41 PM
    but this phone is NOT meant for the general consumer...
    Given the current standings of Nokia and WP, Nokia and M$ SHOULD have made this for the general consumer. They cannot afford not to release any phone for the "enthusiast." There is way too much of a hill for them to climb still. Why they would only target the niche photographer audience is beyond anyone with a realistic grip on the current standing, and media sentiment, on WP? I think they did intend on making this for the general consumer, but like so many times before, did a complete failboat and went awry with the price. If they made this $199 on contract they would have a home run.
    Rem97 likes this.
    07-11-2013 03:45 PM
    If you happen to be using a 900, it sure as hell is an upgrade.
    07-11-2013 03:49 PM
    The platform needs some momentum behind it and i was hoping this would be reasonably priced, because i could see this type of phone being a form of Trojan horse for Microsoft and Nokia. Imagine all the people that see this weird looking phone with a big circle on the back of it and want to ask their friends about it. "oh this phone is great at taking pictures and its so easy". Consumer to Consumer marketing is one of the best ways to gain customers, think of all the effort that goes into social media marketing and making those viral videos.
    yea i hear you.
    Maybe this is as cheap as they can launch it for, as simple as that.
    The problem is its all being left to Nokia and they seem to be doing their best with all the different limitations that they have.

Something's i wish they did differently like sd slot, but i think their almost single handily bringing wp to the mainstream.
    07-11-2013 03:54 PM
    They way I look at it is incremental updates is the way the cell phone industry operates. Apple has been doing it for years and it makes sense; at least in the US. People are typically stuck in a phone for 2 years due to contract. (Most people are not like many people on this forum that buy tech upgrades outside of contract). So for a person buying a phone it is a big deal and the want the latest and greatest. So a "new" phone every 6-9 months means continual hype for those that are just now coming off of contract. Most people don't mind an incremental upgrade from device to device because it is normally replacing a phone that is 2 years old.

If a OEM only provided a new device when they had a substantial update then they would only release a new phone every 18 - 24 months. This would not work within the current system.

Again, Apple does this very well. They don't provide much of an upgrade each time a new device is released; however, compare it to 2-3 versions ago and it is a huge upgrade. The OEM's are reacting to the way the system works and keep fresh devices in the market.
    theefman and Cheewii Poon like this.
    07-11-2013 04:03 PM
    I would probably buy it if I did not already have a 920. I'm not a photographer, or even a photography enthusiast, but the big assed camera appeals to me. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, and maybe I'm not.
    07-11-2013 04:04 PM
    What most concern me is getting this phone and then in Nov/Dec/Jan Nokia comes out with a much better one with better specs across the board including a 41mp camera.

Similar thing happened with the Lumia 900 being overtaken just few months later by the 920. I would hate for that to happen to me again, and this is what gives me the biggest pause.

Anyone else having the same concern?
    07-11-2013 04:12 PM
    all you amateur analysts should stick to your day jobs. everything you have said is complete nonsense.
    mv740 likes this.
    07-11-2013 04:21 PM
    What most concern me is getting this phone and then in Nov/Dec/Jan Nokia comes out with a much better one with better specs across the board including a 41mp camera.

Similar thing happened with the Lumia 900 being overtaken just few months later by the 920. I would hate for that to happen to me again, and this is what gives me the biggest pause.

I share your concerns, which is why I have not bought anything for over 30 years.
    07-11-2013 04:34 PM
    If you seen how the Snapdragon 800 performs it can make any OS look snappy.
    they said that when duo core krait came out.

Android use to be garbage, but with all these quad core phones coming out, it really aint gonna matter (with Jelly bean).
    They said that when JB came out.

In fact the Snapdragon 800 is showing 1.75X faster then the S4 Pro. Its a no contest really.
    They said that again when Exynos came out.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    07-11-2013 04:40 PM
    I share your concerns, which is why I have not bought anything for over 30 years.
    There is a difference when dealing with companies with a track record like Nokia/ATT, since they have showed in the past with the L900 and its very close successor the L920 that they have no problems screwing over early adopters, and then releasing WP8 device and leaving them stuck with a few months old device on WP7. (Admitadly Miscrosoft is to blame for that as well).

I just don't want to get the 1020 with WP8 only to get screwed. Microsoft or Nokia should at the very least confirm that the 1020 will have full support with WP8.1 and beyond.
    07-11-2013 05:26 PM
    There is a difference when dealing with companies with a track record like Nokia/ATT, since they have showed in the past with the L900 and its very close successor the L920 that they have no problems screwing over early adopters, and then releasing WP8 device and leaving them stuck with a few months old device on WP7. (Admitadly Miscrosoft is to blame for that as well).

I just don't want to get the 1020 with WP8 only to get screwed. Microsoft or Nokia should at the very least confirm that the 1020 will have full support with WP8.1 and beyond.
    MS have gone on record to say that WP8 devices are supported for the next 36 months and that they're going to be upgradable to WP9 too.
    07-11-2013 05:30 PM
    What do you mean by full support with wp8.2 and beyond? Over and above what has already been stated?

Are you saying they was wrong to release the l900, or should have waited and released the l920 later?
    07-11-2013 05:32 PM
    People with a 920 are still on contract and unlikely to upgrade, anyway. Whatever V2 of the 1020 comes out next year will be targeted at 920 owners.

Its a hell of an upgrade from a Focus S. Or most Android phones. And all iPhones. So, for the vast majority of the market, its absolutely an upgrade.
    07-11-2013 05:36 PM
    MS have gone on record to say that WP8 devices are supported for the next 36 months and that they're going to be upgradable to WP9 too.
    I read about the 36 months support, but never noticed that they said it included WP9 for all existing WP8 hardware. If you have a source that mentions WP9 would be appreciated.
    07-11-2013 05:38 PM

That's a bad comparison -- the 900 was a WP7 phone, the 920 was a WP8 phone. The nature of the shift to the NT kernel in WP8 generally meant new hardware was needed. Now WP8 is running on the same core platform as every other MS device (Windows PCs, Xbox 1, Surface RT, WP8), and they've committed to a 36 month support cycle. So, no... not the slightest concern. Its more akin to buying a 286 with Windows 2 six months before the 386 came out with Windows 3, which wouldn't run on it. Windows 95, ME, 2000, etc, all ran fine on that 386.
    07-11-2013 05:40 PM
145 1234 ...