07-21-2013 01:17 PM
145 12345 ...
tools

Are you saying they was wrong to release the l900, or should have waited and released the l920 later?
    I think it was wrong to release the L900 without stating that it will not be getting WP8 update and that they plan to release the L920 less than 6 months later making the L900 obsolete without WP8.
    07-11-2013 05:42 PM
    That's a bad comparison -- the 900 was a WP7 phone, the 920 was a WP8 phone. The nature of the shift to the NT kernel in WP8 generally meant new hardware was needed. Now WP8 is running on the same core platform as every other MS device (Windows PCs, Xbox 1, Surface RT, WP8), and they've committed to a 36 month support cycle. So, no... not the slightest concern. Its more akin to buying a 286 with Windows 2 six months before the 386 came out with Windows 3, which wouldn't run on it. Windows 95, ME, 2000, etc, all ran fine on that 386.
    I get your point, but MS has only stated that it will support WP8 for 36 months, I haven't read anywhere that they specificaly said it will get WP9 upgrade and beyond. Support does not neccessarily mean new OS upgrades.
    07-11-2013 05:46 PM
    I get your point, but MS has only stated that it will support WP8 for 36 months, I haven't read anywhere that they specificaly said it will get WP9 upgrade and beyond. Support does not neccessarily mean new OS upgrades.
    Microsoft: Windows Phone 8 Will Be Upgradeable | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A quick google or bing search would've turned up the various articles talking about Microsoft explicitly saying subsequent releases ("Blue" in this case) would be supported on existing hardware.

They said the same thing for RT devices, as well.
    Muessig, Laura Knotek and snowmutt like this.
    07-11-2013 05:54 PM
    Microsoft: Windows Phone 8 Will Be Upgradeable | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A quick google or bing search would've turned up the various articles talking about Microsoft explicitly saying subsequent releases ("Blue" in this case) would be supported on existing hardware.

They said the same thing for RT devices, as well.
    That is talking about WP-Blue i.e. WP8.1 which was always expected to be upgradable with current WP8 hardware, but my point was that the 36 month support says nothing about WP9 upgrade, which to be honest is the next major thing, I think we all can expect WP8.1 ... 8.5 .... etc. to come to present day phones.
    07-11-2013 06:00 PM
    A few sources:
    Windows Phone 8 support to end in July 2014 but users will be able to upgrade | NDTV Gadgets
    Windows Phone 8 upgrade is guaranteed, Microsoft confirms | BGR
    Microsoft: 'Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable'

A notable tweet from @windowsphone:

"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."
    07-11-2013 06:02 PM
    A notable tweet from @windowsphone:
    "As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."
    Thats a good find, lets hope all WP users will hold Microsoft to that promise.

and just to clarify I am interpreting the "next version" to mean WP9, not any minor update inbetween like 8.1 or 8.5 ... etc.
    Muessig and snowmutt like this.
    07-11-2013 06:12 PM
    even i'm on 800 :D but i'll wait for next year. i'm currently happy with 7.8 for my basic needs. I'll upgrade after GDR3
    I currently have a 900. I'd upgrade to the 1020, but AT&T won't let me upgrade until next year.
    snowmutt likes this.
    07-11-2013 06:54 PM
    Nokia, especially since WP8, has used their image capabilities as their main selling point. What else do they have given that MS seems to be dragging their feet with the OS? I hate to say it but I think it's true. This is a natural progression of Nokia's current line of WP8 phones. I am not sure what everyone was expecting. The 1020 is about exactly what has been known for quite some time.

This is Nokia strutting their stuff with their capabilities and pushing the WP8 platform to it's fullest...their entire lineup has been "niche". I think they know it won't sell like hotcakes (I know they said differently), hence the high price tag. You are paying for what you get.

I am impressed by the phone but for me it comes out at a bad time in my contract cycle.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-11-2013 08:14 PM
    That is talking about WP-Blue i.e. WP8.1 which was always expected to be upgradable with current WP8 hardware, but my point was that the 36 month support says nothing about WP9 upgrade, which to be honest is the next major thing, I think we all can expect WP8.1 ... 8.5 .... etc. to come to present day phones.
    ok get where your coming from now, because initially you asked about if wp8.1 would be fully supported.
    You meant wp9.

Any way it's not similar to the wp7 situation, the wp8 kernel will be the basis for a long time.
    07-11-2013 08:29 PM
    I don't have a lot of time, but honestly, should it have been a worthy phone to upgrade to? The Lumia 920 came out Oct 2012. If within a year ATT and Nokia had a phone that I wanted, I would be pissed.

So, next year I fully expect WP9.5, 1080p screen, and whatever upgrade Nokia wants me to have. Because I won't upgrade until I have a credit waiting.
    joe_easton likes this.
    07-11-2013 08:33 PM
    MS have gone on record to say that WP8 devices are supported for the next 36 months and that they're going to be upgradable to WP9 too.
    Besides the Lumia 810 ;)
    07-11-2013 08:34 PM
    I think the only problem with this device is the price. Other than that it's okay. But you can't expect a device with such a camera technology to be cheap.
    07-11-2013 09:16 PM
    I would've rather them upgraded the os than spend all that effort on the camera this is kinda ridiculous
    07-11-2013 09:28 PM
    Upgraded the os in what sense, considering the os is Microsofts domain?
    Laura Knotek and Old_Cus like this.
    07-11-2013 09:34 PM
    I would've rather them upgraded the os than spend all that effort on the camera this is kinda ridiculous
    NaNoo123, you're right. Nokia's only differentiation can be through hardware and its own apps, since the OS is the same for all WP8 devices.
    07-11-2013 09:44 PM
    And even hardware their limited by Microsoft, they cant slap in any old soc, 1080p, etc.
    I think Nokia is doing such a good job that people seem to think that they aren't limited by anything and they can just do as they please.

Their producing the apps as well as getting hold of others, producing wp at different price points, pushing camera technology, and yet they still can't do right by some people.

Yes it may be more expensive than some people like or think is justified, but i just think some of blanked criticism is unfair.
    Mach_E likes this.
    07-11-2013 10:01 PM
    If you happen to be using a 900, it sure as hell is an upgrade.
    This here....
    07-11-2013 10:51 PM
    "Worth" for an upgrade is a personal choice/decision. However, after seeing some of the initial videos of that 41 MP shooter has me kind of wanting one. Too bad I'm on Verizon. Being able to take a quick picture, then zooming and cropping later while keeping the picture quality seems like a great everyday camera to me.
    07-12-2013 12:16 AM
    @katamari201
    A lot of the specs you're looking for aren't supported by the OS, so there's no point in Nokia using them in the 1020.
    Material costs are only one indicator of actual phone costs.
    The sensor is smaller than the 808's, but it's a tradeoff between sensor size and the addition of a BSI sensor and OIS.
    The 1020 uses the same S4 processor, but achieves better battery life. Hmm
    You're forgetting that the 1020 has twice the RAM compared to the 920, a xenon flash, and stereo mice.
    Nokia has accessories for this phone because they knew a) accessories have a greater profit margin and b) people would want the option for wireless charging and a grip that added more battery life.

$299. Niche product. Nokia probably wants this to be their Galaxy Note, and in price and ridiculousness of its standout feature it is. I'm calling it niche as it my sell well by their standards, but I don't see this selling that well outside of camera enthusiasts and WP fans. Carrier deals are their hope that it breaks out of its niche.

(Funky formatting is due to pasting from OneNote.)
    07-12-2013 12:44 AM
    What sells? Large, bright screens for multimedia use, excellent audio for music lovers, and..... Cameras. Smart phones are the new point and shoot for this age. People use them for the casual photos more then most camera companies. This is a smart, calculated move. The original Galaxy Note was released with lower specs, though not bad specs. It hit the right cord with the multimedia crowd. This is the same kind of gamble. It has the huge potential to be a runaway hit, it has the same potential to implode.

As for it being an upgrade: Do you love photos? If so, it is a monster upgrade.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-12-2013 01:01 AM
    I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.
    actually u don't need the camera grip for wireless charging.... the wireless charging is a pretty sleek back coverAttachment 37311
    07-12-2013 01:07 AM
    Nokia has opened the door wide open with such a lackluster specs bump. The fact its not 64GB is going to be a big hindrance.... Plus a 2000 mah battery is just a flipping joke for such a powerful camera.

Personally, looks like Sony now has the upper hand if and when it decides to release the Sony Honami. Not only does it run android, it also has Snapdragon 800, expandable SD to 100 GB total (with 64 GB microsd slot), and also 3000+ mAH battery.

Probably will go for same price if not less than this phone.

Sorry Nokia you flopped big time, $299 for an ON contract phone is putting it DoA. Remember when you put an aggressive $450 off contract + free wireless charger for the 920?!
    This is just my opinion but for any of us that already own a 920 (or other variant) I can't see this is as a worth while upgrade. It's literally the same phone with an improved camera. While I was very excited for this phone to come it would have been great to see other improvements along with the camera. I really hope this isn't Nokia's official sucessor to the 920.

However what I would like to see is this camera tech carried over to a more updated model. Slightly larger screen, better cpu etc.. I know a lot is yet to come with GDR3 but I feel they should've just teased everyone officially today and held on to the EOS to include in a few higher end models with newer specs.
    You can blame Microsoft. Nokia wanted to implement 1080P screen and a quad core snapdragon 800 processor. But current OS limits it.
    BTW 1020 is not 920 successor. You might have to wait till September Nokia event. The might announce a successor to Lumia 920
    07-12-2013 02:30 AM
    The Other storage bug is going to be a ***** on this phone!
    07-12-2013 02:52 AM
    they said Microsoft worked with them on this phone closely they could have atleast threw in a notification center or something
    07-12-2013 05:40 AM
    they said Microsoft worked with them on this phone closely they could have atleast threw in a notification center or something
    even if working together worked how you think it does, Nokia does not have unlimited resources.
    07-12-2013 07:38 AM
145 12345 ...