Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My girl works as a photographer and is currently using the original HTC Titan. This is going to be a sizable upgrade for her. Even better considering she knows how to take advantage of the camera software. I got my 920 in late December and it only came out November 2012. Can't say I'm surprised that Nokia didn't do a massive overhaul of the hardware. Plus new SOCS, drivers, and engineering costs money. That's not always financially feasible when you're struggling like Nokia. Those added costs will hurt Nokia's profit margins if the 1020 isn't a runaway success.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got a Lumia 710 that I bought off contract for $130 last year but I'm not ready to upgrade just yet. I'm still fine with WP7.8 since I mostly just use the device for calls, text messages and browsing via WiFi. It's 5MP camera is good enough. If I had to upgrade today, the 520 would be suitable for me.

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
My girl works as a photographer and is currently using the original HTC Titan. This is going to be a sizable upgrade for her. Even better considering she knows how to take advantage of the camera software. I got my 920 in late December and it only came out November 2012. Can't say I'm surprised that Nokia didn't do a massive overhaul of the hardware. Plus new SOCS, drivers, and engineering costs money. That's not always financially feasible when you're struggling like Nokia. Those added costs will hurt Nokia's profit margins if the 1020 isn't a runaway success.

The problem is this will not be a runaway success, don't get me wrong i want it to succeed but its highly unlikely. It has been shown time and time again that the most the general market can bear is $199 price point. At $299 it is an enthusiast phone but besides the camera and the 1GB of extra ram, the specs don't line up with the enthusiast market.

Lets put it this way, the general consumer is not going to buy this device, enthusiasts are going to get a Galaxy or a One. That leaves the few of us here who want nice camera on our WP.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
but this phone is NOT meant for the general consumer...it is meant for the camera phone market! so i'm sure it will find a good amount of success among those who like this type of phone (photographers for example)!

if you're a general consumer, just wait for the 920 successor - it still isn't out there and won't be till the end of the year!

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I think what it means to be a runaway success needs to be defined.
Sells more than l520 or l920?
Or sells more than what they expected to sell given its price point and who their aiming it at?

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Or sells more than what they expected to sell given its price point and who their aiming it at?

this is a niche phone while 520 and 920 are meant for the general consumer...i believe if 1020 sells better than competition (like S4 Zoom) they can call it a day!
and also if they attract consumers from other brands (like, i was gonna buy a S4 Zoom but 1020 offers better camera tech, so imma go for it) it's also a win!

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.
No wireless charging is in the camera grip accessory; wireless charging support is in a different attachable cover that is just for wireless charging. I, too, am disappointed to find it not built in to the primary case, I'd rather have a thicker case and no camera bump on the back that otherwise makes it awkward to rest/use on a flat surface. And if there were leftover space in the thicker case with the Qi components, they could make the battery bigger. :)

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

The platform needs some momentum behind it and i was hoping this would be reasonably priced, because i could see this type of phone being a form of Trojan horse for Microsoft and Nokia. Imagine all the people that see this weird looking phone with a big circle on the back of it and want to ask their friends about it. "oh this phone is great at taking pictures and its so easy". Consumer to Consumer marketing is one of the best ways to gain customers, think of all the effort that goes into social media marketing and making those viral videos.

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
because its a huge leap in terms of Cameras on a phone. look how much attention the first Nokia Pureview 808 got from tech blogs and reviewers, this is its successor....

how ever, i feel that this should of been called the 929 or something like that, its above the 925 and 928 in terms of a refreashed 920, due to the 925/8's being slimmer due to no Qi charging and they both look rather similar and even alike to the 1020, but i feel that as a model number 1020 seems HUGE, i would of expected some real advances, but it looks like most WP8 Lumia devices will get some of the pro shoot apps that comes with the 1020, just like the Nokia Smart Cam with the 925....or stick with the other rumour of it being called the Nokia Lumia 909

im glad i got my 925 when i did, as it should mean that once my upgrade comes around we ought to be on the 4th Gen or WP :D and since WP8 devices, 2nd gen, are really kicking up a storm winning design and tech awards then i dont see why WP will struggle.

Nokia has EVERY price range/budget covered, from the Ludicrous 1020 $300 + 2 year contract (which i dont see being possible to sell to people) to the lovely little 5/620's available to youths with the colourful bodies and attractive price tags, hopefully the lower priced models will help with WP market share, i know i went for the Lumia 610 over a Galaxy Ace due to the fact that it was different and the OS is just amazing to look at due to personalisation etc.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
because its a huge leap in terms of Cameras on a phone. look how much attention the first Nokia Pureview 808 got from tech blogs and reviewers, this is its successor....

how ever, i feel that this should of been called the 929 or something like that, its above the 925 and 928 in terms of a refreashed 920, due to the 925/8's being slimmer due to no Qi charging and they both look rather similar and even alike to the 1020, but i feel that as a model number 1020 seems HUGE, i would of expected some real advances, but it looks like most WP8 Lumia devices will get some of the pro shoot apps that comes with the 1020, just like the Nokia Smart Cam with the 925....or stick with the other rumour of it being called the Nokia Lumia 909

im glad i got my 925 when i did, as it should mean that once my upgrade comes around we ought to be on the 4th Gen or WP :D and since WP8 devices, 2nd gen, are really kicking up a storm winning design and tech awards then i dont see why WP will struggle.

Nokia has EVERY price range/budget covered, from the Ludicrous 1020 $300 + 2 year contract (which i dont see being possible to sell to people) to the lovely little 5/620's available to youths with the colourful bodies and attractive price tags, hopefully the lower priced models will help with WP market share, i know i went for the Lumia 610 over a Galaxy Ace due to the fact that it was different and the OS is just amazing to look at due to personalisation etc.

they would have been better of calling it the the 909, indicating that this is an evolution from the the 808 pureview. However they should have at least included an SD Card slot.. those 38 mp pictures will take up quite abit of space :p. Yes i know it saves a 5 mp at the same time but they don't allow to reframe time and time again. I guess the only way around that is downloading them on to your PC under a directory i.e /Raw. Then if you wish to reframe it reload it onto the phone... but that is to much hassle lol.

Although i'm stoked to see a 64 gb variant but at the same time annoyed as it is carrier exclusive... In regards to specs, rumour has it Nokia was struggling with battery life with quad core chips. If that was case why not a 2ghz dual core chip? or something.

My hunch is that they will announce something with Pelican camera tech this Fall. This is definitely something that will appeal to some people with L920s but not most as you still have a damn good camera and wireless charging in one package. I for one was looking of upgrading but now not so much but looking forward to GDR3 and the devices it will bring,

original.woodster

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
im just glad i got a flagship phone this time around, its my first ever...was torn between a HTC One and the 925, but liked the OS from previous 925, plus Nokia Exclusive apps are brilliant, Music and Drive, plus a few friends who had HTC phone's werent that impressed and a couple who had 920's were very impressed :D

so im just glad i will be getting updates first, no matter what, but yeah the sound of "1020" just sounds like an upgrade, 909 would of been more model appropriate, i feel.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.
the camera grip accessory doesn't support wireless charging. There's a separate extremely thin wireless charging plate that Dan just posted a video of. But yeah, you'll still find that a step backwards because its not built-in.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
this is a niche phone while 520 and 920 are meant for the general consumer...i believe if 1020 sells better than competition (like S4 Zoom) they can call it a day!
and also if they attract consumers from other brands (like, i was gonna buy a S4 Zoom but 1020 offers better camera tech, so imma go for it) it's also a win!
and that is my point, you cant measure success simply by how well it sells.
Success for Nokia will be based on their projections.
Its not meant to sell as many.
So i don't think people can say it wont be a runaway success.
For Nokia it may very well be just that, even with a lot less sales.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
but this phone is NOT meant for the general consumer...
Given the current standings of Nokia and WP, Nokia and M$ SHOULD have made this for the general consumer. They cannot afford not to release any phone for the "enthusiast." There is way too much of a hill for them to climb still. Why they would only target the niche photographer audience is beyond anyone with a realistic grip on the current standing, and media sentiment, on WP? I think they did intend on making this for the general consumer, but like so many times before, did a complete failboat and went awry with the price. If they made this $199 on contract they would have a home run.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The platform needs some momentum behind it and i was hoping this would be reasonably priced, because i could see this type of phone being a form of Trojan horse for Microsoft and Nokia. Imagine all the people that see this weird looking phone with a big circle on the back of it and want to ask their friends about it. "oh this phone is great at taking pictures and its so easy". Consumer to Consumer marketing is one of the best ways to gain customers, think of all the effort that goes into social media marketing and making those viral videos.
yea i hear you.
Maybe this is as cheap as they can launch it for, as simple as that.
The problem is its all being left to Nokia and they seem to be doing their best with all the different limitations that they have.

Something's i wish they did differently like sd slot, but i think their almost single handily bringing wp to the mainstream.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
They way I look at it is incremental updates is the way the cell phone industry operates. Apple has been doing it for years and it makes sense; at least in the US. People are typically stuck in a phone for 2 years due to contract. (Most people are not like many people on this forum that buy tech upgrades outside of contract). So for a person buying a phone it is a big deal and the want the latest and greatest. So a "new" phone every 6-9 months means continual hype for those that are just now coming off of contract. Most people don't mind an incremental upgrade from device to device because it is normally replacing a phone that is 2 years old.

If a OEM only provided a new device when they had a substantial update then they would only release a new phone every 18 - 24 months. This would not work within the current system.

Again, Apple does this very well. They don't provide much of an upgrade each time a new device is released; however, compare it to 2-3 versions ago and it is a huge upgrade. The OEM's are reacting to the way the system works and keep fresh devices in the market.

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would probably buy it if I did not already have a 920. I'm not a photographer, or even a photography enthusiast, but the big assed camera appeals to me. Maybe I'm alone in my thinking, and maybe I'm not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb