Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What most concern me is getting this phone and then in Nov/Dec/Jan Nokia comes out with a much better one with better specs across the board including a 41mp camera.

Similar thing happened with the Lumia 900 being overtaken just few months later by the 920. I would hate for that to happen to me again, and this is what gives me the biggest pause.

Anyone else having the same concern?

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
What most concern me is getting this phone and then in Nov/Dec/Jan Nokia comes out with a much better one with better specs across the board including a 41mp camera.

Similar thing happened with the Lumia 900 being overtaken just few months later by the 920. I would hate for that to happen to me again, and this is what gives me the biggest pause.

I share your concerns, which is why I have not bought anything for over 30 years.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you seen how the Snapdragon 800 performs it can make any OS look snappy.
they said that when duo core krait came out.

Android use to be garbage, but with all these quad core phones coming out, it really aint gonna matter (with Jelly bean).
They said that when JB came out.

In fact the Snapdragon 800 is showing 1.75X faster then the S4 Pro. Its a no contest really.
They said that again when Exynos came out.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I share your concerns, which is why I have not bought anything for over 30 years.

There is a difference when dealing with companies with a track record like Nokia/ATT, since they have showed in the past with the L900 and its very close successor the L920 that they have no problems screwing over early adopters, and then releasing WP8 device and leaving them stuck with a few months old device on WP7. (Admitadly Miscrosoft is to blame for that as well).

I just don't want to get the 1020 with WP8 only to get screwed. Microsoft or Nokia should at the very least confirm that the 1020 will have full support with WP8.1 and beyond.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference when dealing with companies with a track record like Nokia/ATT, since they have showed in the past with the L900 and its very close successor the L920 that they have no problems screwing over early adopters, and then releasing WP8 device and leaving them stuck with a few months old device on WP7. (Admitadly Miscrosoft is to blame for that as well).

I just don't want to get the 1020 with WP8 only to get screwed. Microsoft or Nokia should at the very least confirm that the 1020 will have full support with WP8.1 and beyond.

MS have gone on record to say that WP8 devices are supported for the next 36 months and that they're going to be upgradable to WP9 too.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean by full support with wp8.2 and beyond? Over and above what has already been stated?

Are you saying they was wrong to release the l900, or should have waited and released the l920 later?

tractionx

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
People with a 920 are still on contract and unlikely to upgrade, anyway. Whatever V2 of the 1020 comes out next year will be targeted at 920 owners.

Its a hell of an upgrade from a Focus S. Or most Android phones. And all iPhones. So, for the vast majority of the market, its absolutely an upgrade.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
MS have gone on record to say that WP8 devices are supported for the next 36 months and that they're going to be upgradable to WP9 too.

I read about the 36 months support, but never noticed that they said it included WP9 for all existing WP8 hardware. If you have a source that mentions WP9 would be appreciated.

tractionx

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

That's a bad comparison -- the 900 was a WP7 phone, the 920 was a WP8 phone. The nature of the shift to the NT kernel in WP8 generally meant new hardware was needed. Now WP8 is running on the same core platform as every other MS device (Windows PCs, Xbox 1, Surface RT, WP8), and they've committed to a 36 month support cycle. So, no... not the slightest concern. Its more akin to buying a 286 with Windows 2 six months before the 386 came out with Windows 3, which wouldn't run on it. Windows 95, ME, 2000, etc, all ran fine on that 386.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Are you saying they was wrong to release the l900, or should have waited and released the l920 later?

I think it was wrong to release the L900 without stating that it will not be getting WP8 update and that they plan to release the L920 less than 6 months later making the L900 obsolete without WP8.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
That's a bad comparison -- the 900 was a WP7 phone, the 920 was a WP8 phone. The nature of the shift to the NT kernel in WP8 generally meant new hardware was needed. Now WP8 is running on the same core platform as every other MS device (Windows PCs, Xbox 1, Surface RT, WP8), and they've committed to a 36 month support cycle. So, no... not the slightest concern. Its more akin to buying a 286 with Windows 2 six months before the 386 came out with Windows 3, which wouldn't run on it. Windows 95, ME, 2000, etc, all ran fine on that 386.

I get your point, but MS has only stated that it will support WP8 for 36 months, I haven't read anywhere that they specificaly said it will get WP9 upgrade and beyond. Support does not neccessarily mean new OS upgrades.

tractionx

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I get your point, but MS has only stated that it will support WP8 for 36 months, I haven't read anywhere that they specificaly said it will get WP9 upgrade and beyond. Support does not neccessarily mean new OS upgrades.

Microsoft: Windows Phone 8 Will Be Upgradeable | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A quick google or bing search would've turned up the various articles talking about Microsoft explicitly saying subsequent releases ("Blue" in this case) would be supported on existing hardware.

They said the same thing for RT devices, as well.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft: Windows Phone 8 Will Be Upgradeable | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A quick google or bing search would've turned up the various articles talking about Microsoft explicitly saying subsequent releases ("Blue" in this case) would be supported on existing hardware.

They said the same thing for RT devices, as well.

That is talking about WP-Blue i.e. WP8.1 which was always expected to be upgradable with current WP8 hardware, but my point was that the 36 month support says nothing about WP9 upgrade, which to be honest is the next major thing, I think we all can expect WP8.1 ... 8.5 .... etc. to come to present day phones.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
A few sources:
Windows Phone 8 support to end in July 2014 but users will be able to upgrade | NDTV Gadgets
Windows Phone 8 upgrade is guaranteed, Microsoft confirms | BGR
Microsoft: 'Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable'

A notable tweet from @windowsphone:

"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
A notable tweet from @windowsphone:
"As we've said, one benefit of moving to the Windows core is that Windows Phone 8 is upgradeable. This means that even beyond the updates we're committing to distribute for 18 months, Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to upgrade to the next version of Windows Phone when it is launched."​

Thats a good find, lets hope all WP users will hold Microsoft to that promise.

and just to clarify I am interpreting the "next version" to mean WP9, not any minor update inbetween like 8.1 or 8.5 ... etc.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Nokia, especially since WP8, has used their image capabilities as their main selling point. What else do they have given that MS seems to be dragging their feet with the OS? I hate to say it but I think it's true. This is a natural progression of Nokia's current line of WP8 phones. I am not sure what everyone was expecting. The 1020 is about exactly what has been known for quite some time.

This is Nokia strutting their stuff with their capabilities and pushing the WP8 platform to it's fullest...their entire lineup has been "niche". I think they know it won't sell like hotcakes (I know they said differently), hence the high price tag. You are paying for what you get.

I am impressed by the phone but for me it comes out at a bad time in my contract cycle.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
That is talking about WP-Blue i.e. WP8.1 which was always expected to be upgradable with current WP8 hardware, but my point was that the 36 month support says nothing about WP9 upgrade, which to be honest is the next major thing, I think we all can expect WP8.1 ... 8.5 .... etc. to come to present day phones.
ok get where your coming from now, because initially you asked about if wp8.1 would be fully supported.
You meant wp9.

Any way it's not similar to the wp7 situation, the wp8 kernel will be the basis for a long time.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a lot of time, but honestly, should it have been a worthy phone to upgrade to? The Lumia 920 came out Oct 2012. If within a year ATT and Nokia had a phone that I wanted, I would be pissed.

So, next year I fully expect WP9.5, 1080p screen, and whatever upgrade Nokia wants me to have. Because I won't upgrade until I have a credit waiting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte