Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Worthy upgrade? I don't believe its supposed to be. Its literally the best of the 808 combined with the current 92x platform. Its what many of the mobile photography centric users - like me - have been clamoring and waiting for since the 808 was announced. Finally, a world class smartphone camera on a platform that is modern and capable.

it's not even near 808 since they put a smaller sensor(together with unwelcome BSI tech), 808 actually has 56% bigger sensor area, that's more than 1020 has over ancient N8...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Personally, looks like Sony now has the upper hand if and when it decides to release the Sony Honami. Not only does it run android,

Been said many times, android NEEDS those super specs, WP doesnt. From the review: Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom review: a messy marriage of smartphone and camera. Quotes: "During regular use, the device felt incredibly sluggish". Yet a Lumia 520 with just a 1.0 GHz dual core CPU and 512MB RAM is practically as smooth as a 920. Just as a 920 is as smooth as an S4 or any other nuclear power plant-packing droid device. So why is this not a worthy upgrade again?

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Been said many times, android NEEDS those super specs, WP doesnt. From the review: Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom review: a messy marriage of smartphone and camera. Quotes: "During regular use, the device felt incredibly sluggish". Yet a Lumia 520 with just a 1.0 GHz dual core CPU and 512MB RAM is practically as smooth as a 920. Just as a 920 is as smooth as an S4 or any other nuclear power plant-packing droid device. So why is this not a worthy upgrade again?

If i am going to pay $300 for a phone, i want the latest of everything, period. I can buy Galaxy S4 that will practically wipe my *** for me for under $200 bucks.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
by numbering you can see this is a new series. As for the worthy or not to upgrade, you are kinda like looking at S4 compare to the coming Note3.

No, not the same, in my opinion. The S III came out when the MSM8960 SoC was the brand-new thing. The Note II came out while it was still the newest thing in-use. The 920 came AFTER that, when the MSM8960 was near the end of its life. Now, the 1020 is coming out after the MSM8960 has been turned into the al-so ran chip for mid-range phone, while the Snapdragon 600 is powering the latest and greatest. The Note II was using the parts that were top-tier at the time. The 1020 isn't doing that, except for with the camera.

holtie43

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm even if this phone isn't really the next gen Lumia flagship but rather just a photo-centric update, i wouldn't expect to see Nokia announce any phone later this year with even remotely similar camera chops. in fact it would be crazy of them to try, it would essentially undercut any potential sales this device would get and make all the money gone into design and development of the 1020 a complete waste. I actually think that Nokia will release a tablet later on in the year, and that this new Lumia, flagship or no, will be sticking around for a while. That's not a bad thing, it sounds like they are going to do a better job at marketing it this time around, so hopefully it will bring new customers into the windows phone ecosystem and increase incentive for developers to make apps for us.
as an aside, i am currently using a Lumia 920 and i am sorely tempted to buy this when it becomes available in Australia.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
No, Im waiting for a 820 successor. Ability to add memory card and change battery is more important to me. But I guess the 1020 is great for those who love to take good pictures.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, not the same, in my opinion. The S III came out when the MSM8960 SoC was the brand-new thing. The Note II came out while it was still the newest thing in-use. The 920 came AFTER that, when the MSM8960 was near the end of its life. Now, the 1020 is coming out after the MSM8960 has been turned into the al-so ran chip for mid-range phone, while the Snapdragon 600 is powering the latest and greatest. The Note II was using the parts that were top-tier at the time. The 1020 isn't doing that, except for with the camera.
I said Note3 vs S4 tho' .

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Right, because the size of the sensor is all that matters in camera systems.... /sarcasm

it's not all but it's the most important factor, and it's not only size of the sensor but its type, FSI sensors are much better than BSI, the only advantage of BSI sensors is that they can pack more pixels into the same size, there is a very good reason no (semi)pro DSLR has BSI...

just look at this example from 808, 1020 will never be able to come close let alone match this quality

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201305052343DrX30k.jpg

oh and I forgot that screen contrast on 1020 is awful, 2.1 vs 4.6 on 808 which means no visibility under sunlight...

but after all 1020 is a very good upgrade for 920 owners because the camera is still a lot better than 920 and they get another 1GB of RAM, I know that price is steep but who has the money and is used to WP it's a simple decision..however I thought Nokia will put the same Toshiba HES9 sensor in 1020 and pull me(and meny other 808 owners) on WP side..they failed there, badly

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
it's not all but it's the most important factor, and it's not only size of the sensor but its type, FSI sensors are much better than BSI, the only advantage of BSI sensors is that they can pack more pixels into the same size, there is a very good reason no (semi)pro DSLR has BSI...

just look at this example from 808, 1020 will never be able to come close let alone match this quality

oh and I forgot that screen contrast on 1020 is awful, 2.1 vs 4.6 on 808 which means no visibility under sunlight...

but after all 1020 is a very good upgrade for 920 owners because the camera is still a lot better than 920 and they get another 1GB of RAM, I know that price is steep but who has the money and is used to WP it's a simple decision..however I thought Nokia will put the same Toshiba HES9 sensor in 1020 and pull me(and meny other 808 owners) on WP side..they failed there, badly

You do know that its a completely redesigned sensor they are using in the 1020, right? Because all you seem to see is the size and the fact that its not the exact same sensor as in the 808 and claim its a negative with no proof (which can only come from a direct comparison). I mean, could it be possible that they 'gasp' improved the design while making a completely different sensor for the 1020 along with improved software algorithms and in the process also made it smaller? I'm sure its impossible to improve on it but personally I think if anyone would be able to its Nokia and I think they know more about this than the average forum poster.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
umm yeah they sure know much more than me but I'm quite certain they can't beat the physics, you don't have to be rocket scientist to conclude that

gxsaurav

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Not a worthwhile upgrade for anyone who already has a Nokia Lumia 920. For newcomers, if thy can pay then go for it. Else, get a Lumia 925.

Lumia 925 is what Lumia 920 should have been. I own a 3 month old Lumia 920 and thinking of selling it to get Lumia 925 just due to reduced weight and gray color body's looks. That phone looks classy.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

How did you get that contrast ratio anyways?

never mind found them

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
it's not all but it's the most important factor, and it's not only size of the sensor but its type, FSI sensors are much better than BSI, the only advantage of BSI sensors is that they can pack more pixels into the same size
You have actually no idea what you are talking about and should just stop posting "information". BSI is superior to FSI because the wiring is behind the photocathode layer, allowing more light onto the sensor, hence better low-light performance. Everyone knows that and it's common knowledge. It's one of the reasons why the 808 didn't do as well in low-light.

When it comes to camera phones and point-n-shoots, BSI is always the preferred (albeit more expensive) solution. With DSLR, it's less important because the sensor is already massive (by comparison) and you can use low f-stop lens (F/1.2, f/1.4, etc) to compensate. Mobiles and PNS don't have that luxury, hence why BSI is such a big deal. It's also super expensive to make a BSI DSLR-sized sensor.

FSI makes no sense from an engineering perspective. It's just cheaper.

For the lazy: Back-illuminated sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sony Global - Technology - "Exmor R"
FAQ: What

"there is a very good reason no (semi)pro DSLR has BSI.."

Dude, just stop...you're killing me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos