Lumia 1020 for Canada?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The support for Windows Phones sucks in Canada.

concurred

I still get people constantly laughing at me and asking why i chose WP8...and when i tell them i came from a GS3, they laugh even harder (as in i made a stupid move). No one even knows what WP8 abOOt, they just know its not popular so it must be a bad OS.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
concurred

I still get people constantly laughing at me and asking why i chose WP8...and when i tell them i came from a GS3, they laugh even harder (as in i made a stupid move). No one even knows what WP8 abOOt, they just know its not popular so it must be a bad OS.

Which is funny because whenever I'm out and someone is trying to take a photo, or find a place to eat, or look something up, they are always astounded when my photos look better, when I can find a good place to eat faster than them and when I find the information we were looking for faster.

It helps to not have a laggy POS phone with gimicky features that bog down the OS. My phone just works.

Oh, and did I mention my navigation suite makes theirs look like they are reading maps carved in stone?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Which is funny because whenever I'm out and someone is trying to take a photo, or find a place to eat, or look something up, they are always astounded when my photos look better, when I can find a good place to eat faster than them and when I find the information we were looking for faster.

It helps to not have a laggy POS phone with gimicky features that bog down the OS. My phone just works.

Oh, and did I mention my navigation suite makes theirs look like they are reading maps carved in stone?

whats interesting is the negative feedback is 90% Android users, 10% Apple users....some iPhoners actually think WP8 is nice. Its the Androids that get all defensive and say "But i can root my phone", "WP8 looks childish" and "But its got NO APPS..!!!"

Jayzon

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It's rumoured AT&T are paying for the exclusivity to lock out all the other players from selling the device. Then they can do whatever they please, promote it, set it in the corner with the others and focus on the iPhone and Galaxies as they always do day in and day out.

To me it appears AT&T does not care about the phone, they just want to block everyone else from offering it which is more detrimental to the brand and to Nokia not to mention the customers.

I'm in no hurry, I'll wait till it gets delivered throughout the market. I jumped on the 920 the first month and had issues after a couple months and had it serviced which they replaced it and that one had a few new user experience tweaks to it the original didn't.

Overall, no need to rush, it's coming, just sit back and wait. Email AT&T and Nokia your annoyed feelings too. It may actually help for the next round of new releases. :cool:

Jayzon

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I tell people I rock the 920 and they do the scrunchy frown look. I then mention I used to rock the iphone 4s and iTunes drove me insane and eBayed it. I have most of the apps for the functionality I used on the iPhone but the camera is the best in the market. It blows away anything I did with the iPhone and even compared it with a friends iphone 5 and still beats it in quality.

The other person does the raised eyebrows look and nods and says hmm I takes pictures all the time ... Very cool ...

I want to get my hands on the 1020! :)

Riko77

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The rep at a Rogers store actually tried to talk me out of the Lumia when I asked to see it. So yeah, definitely not promoting WP.

muderko

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The rep at a Rogers store actually tried to talk me out of the Lumia when I asked to see it. So yeah, definitely not promoting WP.

When I asked the rep. at bestbuy about Lumia 1020 he was like (Are you serious? Who cares about WP or Lumia?)

How do we expect Nokia and WP will gain popularity in Canada when the reps. react like that?

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same experience at a Bell Store in Ottawa the guy wanted to talk to me about the S4 instead...! What I did was I tweeted Bell to inform them that he mention that WP8 was crap and Bell replied because they wanted the sale rep location work place and name...

codo27

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched to Koodo (as should all of you) and I have no idea what I'm gonna do, guess I'm looking at an import as well. You get the camera grip free with pre orders from the US Microsoft store, but that isn't much good to us. How are Windows phones for unlocking? It was really easy on my S3

Bigg Ang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, the 925 is a 920 variant for T-Mobile (which would mean that Wind and Mobilicity could use it) and the 928 is a 920 variant for Verizon (so it wouldn't work with any Canadian carrier). The differences between the 920, 925, and 928 are minimal.

At best it would have been nice for Bell and Telus to get the 920, and for Wind and Mobilicity to get the 925, or at least the 521.

muderko

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, the 925 is a 920 variant for T-Mobile (which would mean that Wind and Mobilicity could use it) and the 928 is a 920 variant for Verizon (so it wouldn't work with any Canadian carrier). The differences between the 920, 925, and 928 are minimal.

At best it would have been nice for Bell and Telus to get the 920, and for Wind and Mobilicity to get the 925, or at least the 521.

Koodo has the 520 prepaid

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
If Windows 8 and WP 8 really took off, Rogers et al would have more support for WP, but it didn't, so they have a built-in excuse for ignoring WP. That and the unwritten rule that it is their patriotic duty to back BB.

I bought the 8x only because I was with Bell, but still I love it. Wish I had the 920, but you take the hand your dealt. My son's 520 has better apps and some features I wish I had lol.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Spoke to a Rogers rep after reading above. He said they are currently testing it out, but are not announcing anything official. I hope that means Nokia is asking more from them in terms of marketing, accessories and support. I like Rogers for service, speed and my negotiated plan but their WP8 support has been poor.

codo27

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
anyone have any new info? I'm gettin restless. my brother is going to NY next week, might get him to see if he cant get one down there and bring it back. anyone know anything about unlocking these phones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs