Lumia 1020 for Canada?

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I really wish Bell would carry the Nokia line. I got the 8x, and overall I love it. But the lack of HTC support especially compared to Nokia definitely gets ya mad now and again!

I honestly wouldn't buy an HTC phone. I don't find their support policy for their Android devices to be any good. It seems like HTC is in disarray right now. If I'm buying a Windows Phone, it's only going to be Nokia.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched to Koodo (as should all of you) and I have no idea what I'm gonna do, guess I'm looking at an import as well. You get the camera grip free with pre orders from the US Microsoft store, but that isn't much good to us. How are Windows phones for unlocking? It was really easy on my S3

I unlocked a Rogers Lumina 520 and it couldn't have been easier! Cost $20 and was done in a couple of hours. And nokias app to get your carrier set up right is really easy. No problems with picture messages or tethering.
Mobileincanada.com (Bell, Fido, Rogers, Telus, Koodo, Virgin, Mobilicity, Wind, Videotron) that's the site I used

333bc

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I read here Should I ditch Android for Nokia's Lumia 1020? | Mobile - CNET News that Nokia needs the help of MS and ATT in order to market the phone, which is why they are exclusive to ATT in the US. Not sure if that's true, but it kind of made sense. There's some interesting stuff from interviews. I plan to buy an unlocked Rogers 920 now for use on Telus, and wait a bit to see what happens with the 1020. I'm sure I'll get one eventually. Since going W8.1 on laptop and tablet, I can't wait to get a W8 phone. Shocks me that they are so few and far between in North America...particularly in Canada. I've had telus reps say things like 'oh, my wife got windows 8 on her computer and she hated it and we put windows 7 back on.' REALLY??? I stopped asking about W8 phones as I know so much more than anyone in the phone stores where I live! Glad to find you folks :).

YogaBoy905

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I used to use the Samsung Focus with WP7.5, great phone, but when it was time to switch phones only the Nokia 920 was available from Rogers in black. I was tempted but I wanted a slim lighter phone ... so I bought the HTC One and while it's a great phone in most respects ... it's Android and it frankly takes longer to get stuff done that I do everyday. Then the 1020 was released and I'm definitely going to sell my HTC One and get the 1020 when it comes to Rogers in Canada. I'm thinking of picking it up in the US and bringing it across because I'm an early adopter ... but maybe I'll wait a couple of months first. If anybody wants to buy my HTC One let me know.

chucky78

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Mobile Syrup said the 1020 will be coming at a later date. Also the windowsphone.ca site no longer has the 920 as their list of phones on the site. I'm hoping it's to make room for the 1020.

chucky78

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
None of the carriers even picked up the 925.

Maybe the rumors are true that the Canadian carriers are trying hard to push BB as the #3 and neglecting WP in the process.

Why would the 925 come to Canada? It's a CDMA phone. We've evolved. The only carrier doing it is Koodo.

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Mobile Syrup said the 1020 will be coming at a later date. Also the windowsphone.ca site no longer has the 920 as their list of phones on the site. I'm hoping it's to make room for the 1020.

I have a feeling the Lumia 1020 won't be released in Canada until Q3 of 2013 at the earliest.

zaptook

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Wind Mobile and would be willing to switch from Android to this for a while to give it a shot. Seems like a sweet phone and WP seems to be hitting it's stride (have a Lumia 710 as my backup phone and it's decent).

The problem is that when Rogers claims exclusivity, it basically kills any desire to get the phone because they are such a crappy company to deal with in terms of customer service, sales reps and price. I checked out the WIki entry for the 1020 and it appears that there is a pentaband version coming (model RM-876) that has yet to be announced. I would definitely be into this. Just has to be soon because I won't be interested in it 6 months from now.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Microsoft store in Yorkdale Mall today buying my Lumia 520, and asked the rep about the Lumia 1020. He said it will coming late September / early October, Rogers exclusive for 6 months.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I was at the Microsoft store in Yorkdale Mall today buying my Lumia 520, and asked the rep about the Lumia 1020. He said it will coming late September / early October, Rogers exclusive for 6 months.

Lets hope the rep knew what he was talking about, an unlocked, pentaband 1020 sounds glorious for Tmo! :)

zaptook

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Lets hope the rep knew what he was talking about, an unlocked, pentaband 1020 sounds glorious for Tmo! :)

I suspect the pentaband version will be released and available way before the exclusivity offer with Rogers is done. I swear, by going exclusive, they lose a lot of visibility with the people who would actually use and promote their phone (early adopters).

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I suspect the pentaband version will be released and available way before the exclusivity offer with Rogers is done.

The only pentaband Lumia to date has been the Rogers 920 (maybe 900 and possibly the old 710 for Tmo?) so the exclusivity shouldn't be a problem.

zaptook

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
The only pentaband Lumia to date has been the Rogers 920 (maybe 900 and possibly the old 710 for Tmo?) so the exclusivity shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, I should have qualified that I was talking about the Pentaband HSPA+ version that supports AWS and not the Pentaband LTE version. The Pentaband HSPA+ release date is still "TBA" according to Wikipedia - link here

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Looking at the Canadian market, Nokia would be much better off selling the Lumia 1020 unlocked via the Microsoft store.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, I should have qualified that I was talking about the Pentaband HSPA+ version that supports AWS and not the Pentaband LTE version. The Pentaband HSPA+ release date is still "TBA" according to Wikipedia - link here

That's the thing, so far only Rogers has released a pentaband HSPA Lumia so I think that is what sites are referring to.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the Canadian market, Nokia would be much better off selling the Lumia 1020 unlocked via the Microsoft store.

Oh, how I wish that this was the case. Windows Phone will never have a chance in Canada as long as the best (Nokia) devices are exclusive to Rogers. I hate the exclusivity deals so much, as it prevents would be customers from getting their hands on these excellent devices. I really want to shut up and give Nokia my money, but they just won't let me. At least the ATIV S has turned out to be rather wonderful after my initial attitude of "I'll have to settle for the ATIV, since that's all I can get" mentality.

The 6 month exclusivity might as well be exclusivity for eternity. It's not like we suddenly received the 920 on Bell and Telus after 6 months. Why would a carrier want to launch a device 6 months after a competitor?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo