Lumia 1020

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
But then you can no longer call yourself Nick920. For a small fee I'll reserve Nick1020 for you!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm the cracks in my relationship with the 1020 are already showing and I haven't even got one yet.

I can live without the wireless charging but the lack of expandable memory is likely to be a problem for me. It's handy being able to store photos on SkyDrive but I like having photos and videos stored on my phone for quick access. A faster processor would've been nice too...a step forward from the 920.

Gonna have to think this through over the next few months.

Can you pm my card details back to me please? ;)

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Any idea if Nokia is doing 1020 brand ambassador thing again? :winktongue:

In the old days, and more recently - they'd lend you one for 1 or 2 weeks while you write the review.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Camera grip looks amazing....

Does anyone know if the camera includes an ND filter?

Juha from Nokia mentioned that there is NO ND filter on 1020. Something with maximising optical performance - so:

808 over 1020:
Larger 1/1.2 sensor
ND Filter
Stronger flash (dual xenon capacitor)
8MP supersample mode
Natural colour reproduction
Image memory card expansion & swappable battery

1020 over 808:

Brighter F2.2 lens (but no ND filter! :confused: )
OIS & 6 elements lens (vs 5)
Dual image capture & newer algorithms
Configurable audio
Better camera UI
Camera grip (Optional)

Why can't life just be simple - without all these small drawbacks??

I mean - Nokia could still change 1020:
  • Implement 8MP supersample mode
  • Have a "flat" option to give 808 like image processing.
  • When storage is low, have a way of syncing 41MP onto cloud, while keeping 5mp on the phone.
  • Make camera app updateable by over-the-air patches and release frequent updates, as oppose to slower fw update.

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hate waiting...

I don't care about other phones on other platforms having more cores, more ram, more apps, more games.

My 808 took unbelievable photos but was let down by an OS abandoned by Nokia.

I love my 920. It has some great apps and games. I'm not bothered if it's missing the latest social media app fads as I don't use any of that crap but I feel a little let down by the camera.

The 1020. It ticks all the boxes for me. All the apps and games of the 920 (plus some exclusive stuff as well). Plus the camera of the 808 give or take a few nuances but it's good enough for me.

Come on September!!!!!

Mr Elop, if you're reading this and feeling a little charitable; I would love an advanced opportunity to play around with the 1020. I take back everything of a negative nature I have ever said about you. The things I said about goats was not only untrue but also extremely unfair to our caprine friends.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
With Nokia still reporting a loss....what are the odds that they will have ceased trading by the time the 1020 is due for UK release??? :crying::unhappysweat:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm the cracks in my relationship with the 1020 are already showing and I haven't even got one yet.

I can live without the wireless charging but the lack of expandable memory is likely to be a problem for me. It's handy being able to store photos on SkyDrive but I like having photos and videos stored on my phone for quick access. A faster processor would've been nice too...a step forward from the 920.

Gonna have to think this through over the next few months.

Can you pm my card details back to me please? ;)

Totally understandable about the storage factor, although I would suggest that you look at the amount of storage you're using today. If you're tight on it, maybe wise to hold out for a 64GB version.

Otherwise, and this is what I plan to do, you could sync up with your PC and then remove the full-res versions from the Phone (leaving the 5MP versions). That will accomplish the goal of quick access without wasting storage.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
With Nokia still reporting a loss....what are the odds that they will have ceased trading by the time the 1020 is due for UK release??? :crying::unhappysweat:

Hold on there slick, they're reporting a minor loss and only due to costs associated with operating/restructuring changes. There's still an underlying profitability status there, so progress is definitely being made! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo