Does it include NFC? L920 or L1020

mukhlisviovix

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hye guys, if i heard what TechRadar said, it doesn't include NFC. Is it true? Does L920 doesn't have it too? I'm confused.

I am an Android user preparing myself for changing to WP. Earlier before L1020 was announced, i was really keen on purchasing a L920. But after L1020 was announced, i am kind of dilemma, does it worth choosing L1020 over L920? Despite L1020 is a lot more expensive because it just announced compare to L920 is a lot more cheaper today. Plus i hate the fact that they separate the built-in wireless charging Qi from L1020. Wireless charging Qi is one of the features that I like about the Nokia Lumia lineup.

So if i was to buy L1020, i need to purchase the external wireless charger shell together with the phone. But by having an external shell, i can't put on external casing for protection WITH the wireless charging shell. So...... had a hard time thinking which one to buy. Which one do you guys recommended?

And don't forget about my question about NFC. Thanks guys :smile:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1020 - Specifications - Nokia - UK here under connectivity it says: NFC: Secure NFC for payment, Sharing, Pairing, Tagging

So either Nokia or Techradar are wrong. I know who I'm backing. :)

As far as cases go, you'd have to speak to someone that has a 925 or 928 as they're in the same boat.

EDIT: Welcome to WPCentral boards!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The 920 has NFC; I'm not sure about the 1020. Be aware that the functionality of NFC on WP is nothing like on Android. So far there's not a lot you can actually do with it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So what does NFC actually can do in WP?

I had a 920 for a short time, but I didn't use NFC on it. Maybe someone who is currently using a 920 can be more precise, but from what I understand the NFC in WP can be used for sharing files, photos, contacts, etc. It cannot be used for mobile payment. Also doing things with NFC tags is much more limited than Android. For example, you can open Wifi Settings, but you can't actually toggle Wifi with it. Can anyone correct this, or add to it?

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
It cannot be used for mobile payment. Also doing things with NFC tags is much more limited than Android. For example, you can open Wifi Settings, but you can't actually toggle Wifi with it. Can anyone correct this, or add to it?

I can confirm the Lumia 920 can be used for mobile payments, however like all NFC payment phones, you will need a secure SIM card that supports mobile payments. Some mobile networks can provide this, some can't (for example, there is a current incompatibility with 4G sim cards). Please see the following image. This is part of the Windows Phone 8 setup for "Fast Cards":

nfc-wallet.jpg

As for the NFC toggling options within the menus, the reason why that isn't introduced (as yet) is security; it has been tried and tested by WP officials, and in certain scenarios it is possible to gain access to a code locked handset without inputting the code, by simply using NFC to access a particular application (I don't know what that application is by the way, just what I heard), causing the phone to bypass the code altogether when said application was closed afterwards. To prevent this from becoming a security flaw, they have disabled the option of drilling any further than (any) menu option, giving the users the option of manually selecting the option.

The other is convenience. For example, if you have other active NFC tags in, say, your bag or pocket, the possibility of triggering an application unwanted is quite high. At least by only allowing menu options to be activated, it means a user can input their lock code in then select the option they want. The mild inconvenience is a little better than the security flaw of someone swiping your phone with a rogue NFC tag and gaining access to the content within it. Or even worse, something activating in your pocket and the phone dialling the emergency services (or anyone else come to that matter), without your knowledge.

Nukey :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb