Article: Lumia 1020- $600 unlocked straight from Microsoft Store

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I read an article on Dailytech claiming the following:

DailyTech - Nokia Announces Flagship Super-Shooter, 41 MP Lumia 1020

The single-carrier status is mitigated somewhat by the fact that you can buy an unlocked Lumia 1020 at a Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) Store for $602. In that regard the price is also misleading. Quite simply put AT&T's subsidy isn?t that appealing.

Unsubsidized, the Lumia 1020 is cheaper than the Samsung Electronics Comp., Ltd.'s (KSC:005930) Galaxy S4 ("Pure" edition) and on par with HTC Corp.'s (TPE:2498) One ("Pure" edition). Subsidized, and you're talking $100 USD more than Samsung and $200 USD more than HTC.

In that light the AT&T subsidy is pretty weak. Most should stay way unless you're stuck on an AT&T family plan. As the phone is dual-mode (CDMA/GSM) if you're going to buy it, get it at a Microsoft Store and go with a carrier of your choice.

If this is true. Count me back on the bandwagon :cool:

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The unlocked lumia phones have been getting updates slower then the att locked ones.

True, but I save $40+ a month via Straight Talk and plan to travel abroad soon. 40*24 = $800+ saved for slower updates? No problemo.

I am just surprised since I don't think the Microsoft Store was selling unlocked 9XX's... although could be wrong.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Doubt MS will be selling an unlocked At&t version and since thats the only version thats been announced I think the article is just speculating.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you just follow the source links, it leads back to wpcentral, which later admitted that this was an invoice price. I suppose they could sell it at or near cost, but there is no evidence so far that they will.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I would be extremely surprised if this was sold unlocked at the MS store. AFAIK they have yet to sell an unlocked phone, let alone a flagship new release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro