07-29-2013 03:50 AM
124 1234 ...
tools
    I agree with Jay. Here's an article filled with immediate doubt:
    http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...-windows-phone
    07-12-2013 11:26 AM
    lol yea right were is ur evidence huh ??
    huh? Evidence is right on the Nokia site(1/1.5" is the size of 1020 sensor), 808 still has sensor with ~50% bigger area and with FSI technology used in all professional DSLRs. 1020 has BSI sensor, now go and ask any professional what he thinks about BSI sensors.
    07-12-2013 11:57 AM
    Keep in mind that every review of the 1020 you've seen so far is probably written by someone who's barely held the phone, let alone used it. I have always believed there are only two review worth reading for Windows phones - WP Central and Anandtech. I hope Anandtech does a thorough review of the camera as they have the engineering chops to really separate fact from fiction.

I think the negative reactions stem from two things. A lot of people, for some reason, expected some big jump in processor along with the new camera. That didn't make any sense to me since current software can't handle a quad core CPU. That won't come until Blue releases. Second, and I think major point, is AT&T price of $299. If the 1020 was priced at $199 or even $249, I think the initial reaction would be completely different. Unfortunately, that is one of big negatives of carrier exclusives - no competition means they can gouge on pricing if they choose.

I'm not sure if 1020 is for me, but I appreciate how Nokia is pushing the envelope as fast and far as WP software will permit. I hope a lot of this trickles down to the 9XX series and I look forward to seeing what they do next.
    07-12-2013 12:48 PM
    Benchmarks are numbers on paper, have there been any tests on real world usage of high end WP's vs the quad core devices and WP's were found wanting? Thats all I personally need to make a choice, and while it does look good in reviews and paper comparisons is it a huge magnitude of difference in actual performance? WP will get those upgrades this year, this is well known but personally I consider the camera improvements more important than what those upgrades will bring. I dont think they will offer the leap in performance the 1020 actually does in picture quality.
    trouble with not using benchmarks, is that people can just say, wow the quad core is so much faster, i used it and wow! Just because they expect it to be faster, it may not even be faster.

when you asked if quad core makes a difference, like i said I'm sure it does on the android platform. (hence the lol which i think you may have missed)

How does current wp measure up to android?
    I reckon all things considered it compares favourably, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not a journalist that the general public is getting information from. Guess you would have to google unless someone else has done any proper side by side tests....

We may believe dual core is fine (and i never said it wasn't) but preaching to the chore isn't the issue. Its not like those bloggers and journalists haven't used wp.
    I don't write them all off as being fanboys, its just a shame they cant say its amazing what wp does with dual cores compared to others.

As said by others seem to be negative tones by default.
    07-12-2013 12:57 PM
    Keep in mind that every review of the 1020 you've seen so far is probably written by someone who's barely held the phone, let alone used it. I have always believed there are only two review worth reading for Windows phones - WP Central and Anandtech. I hope Anandtech does a thorough review of the camera as they have the engineering chops to really separate fact from fiction.

I think the negative reactions stem from two things. A lot of people, for some reason, expected some big jump in processor along with the new camera. That didn't make any sense to me since current software can't handle a quad core CPU. That won't come until Blue releases. Second, and I think major point, is AT&T price of $299. If the 1020 was priced at $199 or even $249, I think the initial reaction would be completely different. Unfortunately, that is one of big negatives of carrier exclusives - no competition means they can gouge on pricing if they choose.

I'm not sure if 1020 is for me, but I appreciate how Nokia is pushing the envelope as fast and far as WP software will permit. I hope a lot of this trickles down to the 9XX series and I look forward to seeing what they do next.
    Even Anandtech seemed determined to be uninterested by this phone. I hope Klug is fair with it if/when he actually gets a long-term run with one. If the last podcast is any indication, he of all people should be able to appreciate what Nokia has done. I get the impression that he'd still rather have a P&S camera running android than the 1020 though...
    07-12-2013 01:06 PM
    But some criticism is fair. Nokia would sell more Android phones. The HTC One is nicer made. The S4 is very capable. The new norm is Full HD and quad core. How about a Android based WLAN only camera version of the 1020... It is not a phone... But a camera :-)
    07-12-2013 01:18 PM
    But some criticism is fair. Nokia would sell more Android phones. The HTC One is nicer made. The S4 is very capable. The new norm is Full HD and quad core. How about a Android based WLAN only camera version of the 1020... It is not a phone... But a camera :-)
    That's true. For Nokia's sake, they'd be better off making phones for Android as well. I hope they don't go under simply for pushing Windows Phone exclusively. I'm happy that it gives WP something that nobody else has, and should be good for WP growth, but for Nokia it's like fighting two battles at once. I would be sad if they lost because of it. :(
    07-12-2013 01:29 PM
    07-12-2013 01:45 PM
    haters gonna hate. That is all!
    07-12-2013 03:06 PM
    @thefman
    You beat me to it, was just about to post link 😃

They didn't mention that its 'only dual core', apart from its sluggish, but didn't keep going on about it, be interesting to see if they find the need to on the l1020 review, they did mention the display res, but didn't get too hung up on it considering.

For once the comments seem to be pro l1020 hahaha

I want to see the l1020 reviewed against what it's competition is, things like the zoom, etc.
    Mach_E likes this.
    07-12-2013 03:11 PM
    Yes, will be interesting to see how they review the 1020 in comparison.
    07-12-2013 04:26 PM
    I just can't believe the amount of negative press I am reading against the 1020! Here's a couple of comments from online:

'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'

'Nokia is being held back by WP8'

'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'

'they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One'

'it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!'

The last one really annoyed me, lol! Nokia are offering choice...what's wrong with that? They aren't forcing anyone to buy this phone. If anything, it should help people decide on other Nokia phones...'they made a 41mp camera, so this {insert any other Lumia} must have a decent camera for the price range'!

It's a sad day when some companies get praised for the worst truly gimmicky tricks up their sleeves...and true innovators get kicked to the curb!
    Different Horses for Different Courses.

Whoever said the S4 Zoom is JUST more ugly than the L1020 needs to have a re-education.

Samsung is officially the North Korea of the Smartphone Market.

They'll sell because of the name "Samsung"
    07-12-2013 07:14 PM
    I just can't believe the amount of negative press I am reading against the 1020! Here's a couple of comments from online:

'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'
    No one wants camera? lol, but if you look, one of the most famous social networks of today is instagram. And in the most famous, everyone keep posting and sharing photos and videos.

'Nokia is being held back by WP8'
    Maybe yes, maybe not. I really love WP8, I know have so much things to improve, but, everyone have a start.

Who needs a quad core if you have WP8 ? Cores for what ? Android needs a quad-core for being too heavy

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'
    All lumias have one of the best designs we ever saw. The camera really was not very pretty, but the advantages outweigh this

'they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One'
    Lol? No comments

'it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!'
    aesthetically only? Lol Galaxy S4 Zoom is nothing near the 1020.

The only thing I think Nokia need to change is about the memory. Why the hell the smartphone with the best camera of the world, dont put a space for SD Card in the phone? When every single photo has 5Mp or more ?
    antiochian2010 likes this.
    07-12-2013 09:00 PM
    They(Android & IPhone fanboys) don't want WP8 to succeed. Or Microsoft for that matter.
    07-12-2013 09:55 PM

isn't more cores a gimmicky number :-/
    07-12-2013 10:39 PM
    I think its funny all the droidsheep and ipeople that laughed at my 928 liked it after they played with it. Most talking about how fast it was compared to thiers. My neighbor (who I don't like) came over with his new S4 talking about how great it is compared to my 928. I asked him to start opening apps to see how it preformed. He got 4 opened and running before it freezes up. I got 7 open and running and flipping open more still running strong before he walked off. I hate it when people talk crap about WP and know nothing about it.
    07-12-2013 11:04 PM
    07-13-2013 02:23 AM
    Actually.. look at things in a different perspective.
    Had Nokia actually go with quad core, 1080 screen & making Android device, what do you think of their chance of competition and even margins?

Right now, almost exclusively I can assume that Windows Phone belongs to Nokia already. They have the ability to develop & have a say in both hardware and software, and commanding a premium price since it does not have to go head to head with many manufactures. Just exactly like Apple, even without marketshare they are able to get most of the industries' profit.

Look at the PC market, with companies like Lenovo, HP, Dell, Samdung, Toshiba, & etc competiting with the same software and hardware. There's almost no room for profit, margins for such a market is simply less than 5%. As a consumer yourself, do you even care who your PC manufacture is when you buy a new notebook/desktop? Honestly I don't care. I've been jumping from Acer > HP > Asus over the years until recently which is a Surface Pro.
    Obviously, we have not seen the effect of plunging price yet since the market is still growing. But there are signs of crack lines with Samsung missing this quarter target, this is in fact already happening. Poor Samsung that's trying to 'fix' their sales by flooding the market with a new variant of S4 every week.

In the short term, yes Android. However if you are one that's looking for long term growth, I find Windows Phone to be more fruitful.
    I'm an investor of Nokia myself with over 30k shares, and I have faith in the company's long term growth.
    Mach_E and cckgz4 like this.
    07-13-2013 03:50 AM
    When you have little to no market share, you need to bring more to the table to compete with the well established smartphones. Nokia/WP has not done that, and a nice camera on a featureless phone is not going to get many positive reviews. .
    It may not have every feature that competing smartphones have but it is not Featureless.
    07-13-2013 04:13 AM
    That contract between MS and Nokia, does it say that Nokia can not sell Android based cameras? Cause if not, why not a variant of the 1020 that only has WLAN and is a camera...

Qualcomm has too many quad core chips on its hands because the Samsung S4 is not selling as well as Samsung thought. Nokia could maybe get a good price on those. Then 2Gb of RAM, 16Gb of storage and the SIM slot becomes a max. 64Gb SD Card slot. Use Android 4.2.2 stock with a Nokia Camera app. Then Nokia could talk to HTC and source some 4.7 inch LCD panels in Full HD with them. Result could be an incredible Android based compact camera that you can connect by BT or WLAN to any Mobile Phone...

Priced around $549.- it would sell very well.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 07-13-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    07-13-2013 04:14 AM
    Don't know if it helps, but I honestly thought the general reaction to the 1020 was pretty good. I haven't been reading a lot of articles about it, but I certainly didn't detect some huge negative backlash... And if I'm not mistaken, Nokia published a cool, albeit pretty biased, article on their Conversations page about the "positive" direction towards the 1020 reveal.
    LastBattle likes this.
    07-13-2013 05:00 AM
    F*** tha camera! How about fixing an ancient problem like "other" memory!!! How many threads does there have to be for anyone to get off their *** n fix ****!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-13-2013 05:05 AM
    That contract between MS and Nokia, does it say that Nokia can not sell Android based cameras? Cause if not, why not a variant of the 1020 that only has WLAN and is a camera...

Qualcomm has too many quad core chips on its hands because the Samsung S4 is not selling as well as Samsung thought. Nokia could maybe get a good price on those. Then 2Gb of RAM, 16Gb of storage and the SIM slot becomes a max. 64Gb SD Card slot. Use Android 4.2.2 stock with a Nokia Camera app. Then Nokia could talk to HTC and source some 4.7 inch LCD panels in Full HD with them. Result could be an incredible Android based compact camera that you can connect by BT or WLAN to any Mobile Phone...

Priced around $549.- it would sell very well.
    Focus... if you are doing too many things at once, you won't do the other well.
    The problem isn't just creating an android device and Nokia will be successful. Any random companies like Huawei, china white box manufactuer can do it. They need to invest a lot on software and support too.
    07-13-2013 05:12 AM
    F*** tha camera! How about fixing an ancient problem like "other" memory!!! How many threads does there have to be for anyone to get off their *** n fix ****!
    Dude, they'll get a fix through eventually.
    07-13-2013 05:16 AM
    I have only one complaint - GPU. They should have given 925 and 1020 a better GPU, then it would be ideal - most of the games would run ideal.
    07-13-2013 05:28 AM
124 1234 ...