The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-29-2013 03:50 AM
124 12345
tools
    Very interesting read that provided me a better understanding of Nokia's reasoning having not viewed the release event yet.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-13-2013 09:17 AM
    07-13-2013 09:29 AM
    If by "sup par OS" they mean stable and fast with a few quirks I can accept that. Unfortunately I don't think that's what they meant.
    07-13-2013 09:42 AM
    Some reactions from the 'pros', lol

TechRadar Reacts: Nokia Lumia 1020 | TechRadar
    That's why no one reads techradar.
    Azzid likes this.
    07-13-2013 10:29 AM
    My thoughts (if anyone cares).

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).

To me, on paper and looks, it looks like a 920ish phone with a lot better camera. Nothing more.

Even if it came to a carrier that I use, I would skip over this one. I have no desire for that bulk in the camera in my pocket day to day.

Don't get me wrong when I am in Mall or plaza with a AT&T store in it, I might drop in to take a look at it but, I still stand by my thoughts here...

My 928 will hold me out till the next WP devices hit (8.5 or 9)...or with better hardware and this is not it for me
    07-13-2013 10:31 AM
    It's a niche phone. Not everyone, or not a lot of people, are going to be interested in it. My phone doesn't need to rival my digital camera. I get how the 41mp will help with lossless zoom, etc, but most people aren't proficient enough in camera tech to bother messing with Nokia's latest creation. The thing isn't that Nokia is doing a bad job, it's that WP is doing a bad job.
    07-13-2013 11:34 AM
    I hope the camera really lives up to the hype and not disappoint like the 920 with its focus issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-13-2013 01:27 PM
    Well i feel abit sheepish now lol as compared spec to spec the L1020 is near identical to the L920 however after looking into 1020 alot more and evaluating my usage habits.. I realised I rarely use wireless charging as it takes longer than charging via usb and I've got to say i might be purchasing the L1020 off contract I don't see me trading in my L920 anytime soon. The motorised image stabilisation is just mind blowing!

The only way this thing will sell is the word of mouth, just like shadowshataan said no one believed the music video was taken with a phone thus underestimating the capabilities of the L920. So yeah in order to get the word out, we need to show what L1020 can do!.

Edit: just read this guys post and almost made my eyes water with rage, hence the edit.

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.
    Really? have you seen the profile from the side? it is 10.4 mm with the camera, the L920 is 10.7 mm, L928 is 10.1mm seriously some people..

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).
    16gb?????????? quit spreading FUD alright? it is 32gb as standard and 64gb exclusive to Telefonica.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 07-13-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    07-13-2013 01:35 PM
    Microsoft store has 64 Gb too, so not only Telefonica ...
    07-13-2013 03:29 PM
    Microsoft store has 64 Gb too, so not only Telefonica ...
    Hmm.. I did check the MS Store but didn't see 64 gb listed aswell as Nokia/com - both US and UK sites only 32gb listed there as well.

Nokia Lumia 1020 | Windows Phone (United States)
    07-13-2013 04:31 PM
    Dude, they'll get a fix through eventually.
    I hope 4 their sake they do coz I'm definitely not the only one showing some discontent!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-13-2013 06:15 PM
    did u guys see this .. good god , it is way ahead of my 920 too , I did not expect that, I am beyond convinced , I want it so bad

Is the 928 xenon flash this good???

07-13-2013 09:59 PM
    928 xenon is weaker but still better than LED flash. Have a read here :

All Xenon not created equal? Nokia 808 vs Lumia 928
    07-13-2013 10:06 PM
    yes if this phone had Samsung on it or apple on it instead of Nokia the idiots tech so called journalists would have been all over it and wanking, but we wp supporters are not put of by such things, the 1020 may not sell in the millions but what it does do is bring awareness to the wp platform as well it innovates and add more stuff down thru nokia's portfolio. As you can see with the Lumia 520 a very low budget phone that is taking the world by storm, don't be surprised if that one phone puts wp over the critical mass level and explodes onto the world marketshare.
    07-14-2013 12:13 AM
    actually if you listened to the interview with elop, the sensor in the 1020 is a 2nd gen sensor to the original that was in the 808.
    07-14-2013 12:16 AM
    yes if this phone had Samsung on it or apple on it instead of Nokia the idiots tech so called journalists would have been all over it and wanking...
    I LOL'd
    LastBattle likes this.
    07-14-2013 12:36 AM
    I'm truly just waiting for Nokia to release a larger 1080p screen lumia with the pureview camera. At least 5.5" or 6". I love my media and would love the camera in conjunction with that larger screen but sadly Nokia seems against the idea of a phablet atm. Or it's MSFT limiting Nokia's ability to use hardware for such a phablet?

Edit: And also a more powerful GPU for gaming. Keep it at two cores as long as WP8 stays as smooth as it is but as games become more power hungry give the phone a really good GPU.
    07-14-2013 01:38 AM
    'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'
    'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'
    'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'
    Well, I just did the math and these complaints seem valid. If you look at the high-end models for each mobile OS and compare the screen or camera resolution to the app count, the Lumia 1020 comes in last place. You can't argue with the math!
    App Count Screen KPx Apps/KPx CamTop App/CamTop CamStd App/CamStd
    iPhone 5
    Galaxy S4
    Lumia 1020 160,000

Yes, the screen on the Lumia is larger and sharper than the iPhone's, but the Lumia, thinking about its high-res rear-facing camera, has only 4 apps per Kilo-pixel -- this key metric is what drives handset sales according to most forum authors.

And yes, the combination of a fast lens, optical image stabilization, and pixel-binning technology makes the Lumia's camera better than the one in the S4 in virtually all conditions, but the S4 has more than twice as many apps per screen pixel as the Lumia. Although the Lumia has a pixel density greater than the average adult human can resolve from normal distances, the S4 provides a sharpness that's unresolvable by even the cats owned by those S4 users.

When you put together the all-important apps/KP metric and the feline usability index, it's clear that there's no future for the Lumia 1020.

I'd write more, but I have to go feed my iPhone to my cat. Bye.
    wpn00b and Mach_E like this.
    07-14-2013 12:57 PM
    BBC News - App Store 'full of zombies' claim on Apple anniversary

579,001 apps are downloaded so infrequently as to be worthless for developers to continue developing.
    LastBattle likes this.
    07-14-2013 01:18 PM

To me, on paper and looks, it looks like a 920ish phone with a lot better camera. Nothing more.

Even if it came to a carrier that I use, I would skip over this one. I have no desire for that bulk in the camera in my pocket day to day.

Don't get me wrong when I am in Mall or plaza with a AT&T store in it, I might drop in to take a look at it but, I still stand by my thoughts here...

My 928 will hold me out till the next WP devices hit (8.5 or 9)...or with better hardware and this is not it for me
    920 is 10.2mm thick, 1020 is 10.4mm at the hump.... huge difference there... (marvelous really)
    And yeah, WP is holding Nokia back, no question about it, but that doesn't make the 1020 a bad choice, especially if photography is as important to you as big screens are for some. I also would have liked to see better specs already, even if I have no intention of upgrading yet, but do specs really matter? Even here there are people who think Adreno 305 is better than 225, or that Snapdragon 200 is better than S4. Unfortunately, perception is king, and that alone is why WP need better specs.

Edit: Oh, and a BSI pixel can be about 30% smaller and gather the same amount of light than a FSI.
    07-15-2013 12:09 AM
    920 is 10.2mm thick, 1020 is 10.4mm at the hump
    920 is 10.7mm; 1020 is 10.4mm except for the camera "hump" area. The camera area is 14+ mm. (I saw a reference yesterday, but can't find it now. If I do, I'll edit this response.)
    07-15-2013 05:49 AM

I find it kind of disturbing that you say nothing is majorly innovative but the camera in this phone. This phone has rich recording in stereo as well (mono recording in the 920 gen). Nokia spends almost 80 billion dollars in R&D compared to Samsung's/HTC's/Sony's lackluster 5-10 billion $.

But anyway, my main concern with your post is that what other innovation are you looking for in a phone? I do not consider higher specs as innovation -as other OEM's have access to the same hardware. According to the Webster dictionary, innovation is a new method, idea, product, etc: "technological innovations." I find this 1020 to be the most innovative thing from Nokia ever since the 808 came out. This was the main reason why I skipped out on the 920 gen as I didn't see OIS to be the main influential factor for me to upgrade as I have my 808 that will beat the 920 in low light any day. Combining Pureview phase 1 (oversampling/lossless zoom) and Pureview phase 2 (OIS) by creating Pureview phase 3 is nothing short of amazing! Everyone expected Nokia to just make a port of the 808 in the 1020...not go a step further into putting OIS in it. I was shocked during the presentation that they actually had the time to implement it (let alone even improving OIS for version 2).
    theefman likes this.
    07-15-2013 07:04 AM
    I just can't believe the amount of negative press I am reading against the 1020! Here's a couple of comments from online:

'no one wants an amazing camera, they want apps'

'Nokia is being held back by WP8'

'less gimmicky megapixel counts, more cores (quad core)'

'the camera is great, but I want a phone I'm not ashamed of'

'they are so far behind Samsung S4 and HTC One'

'it is only just more aesthetically pleasing than the Samsung S4 Galaxy Zoom!!!'

The last one really annoyed me, lol! Nokia are offering choice...what's wrong with that? They aren't forcing anyone to buy this phone. If anything, it should help people decide on other Nokia phones...'they made a 41mp camera, so this {insert any other Lumia} must have a decent camera for the price range'!

It's a sad day when some companies get praised for the worst truly gimmicky tricks up their sleeves...and true innovators get kicked to the curb!
    Loosers will always keep on complaining and point out negatives. Even I was bit disappointed to see that I had the same 1 year old CPU and screen. I was expecting a quad core Snapdragon 800 CPU and a 1080 P screen. But I would blame MS for not supporting this hardware specification. I love my 920, but 1020 is an amazing device.
    Last edited by maverick786us; 07-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    07-15-2013 07:04 AM
    920 is 10.7mm; 1020 is 10.4mm except for the camera "hump" area. The camera area is 14+ mm. (I saw a reference yesterday, but can't find it now. If I do, I'll edit this response.)
    Ah, okay. In that case the picture here: Nokia Lumia 1020 - Specifications - Nokia - USA is very misleading. :)
    07-15-2013 09:00 AM
    Hmm.. I did check the MS Store but didn't see 64 gb listed aswell as Nokia/com - both US and UK sites only 32gb listed there as well.

Nokia Lumia 1020 | Windows Phone (United States)
    Maybe they do not want publish it yet ... anyway, you can read about it: Microsoft Store offering Nokia Lumia 1020 in both 32GB and 64GB options - Mobile PC - iTech Post
    07-15-2013 09:15 AM
124 12345